• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    In Minneapolis, no less. Noted fantasy author Joel Rosenberg, a man who routinely exercises his right to bear arms, did everything he was supposed to while carrying his firearm to meet with the police. He had the sheriffs permission, as he was supposed to. He was carrying in accordance with the law. The one thing he forgot to do was bow down and lick someones badge. Now he's been arrested and had an onerous bail levied against him by a judge who obviously has it in for him. Just goes to show, you can do everything right and legal and someone will still want you to respect their authoritah or else. Hopefully, Joel will be free soon (it would be too much to ask for true justice to be done and see that his captors were imprisoned as they deserve) and back to work writing more books that people want to read. He's actually a producer. Unlike those who have violated his rights.

Minneapolis Police Arrest Joel Rosenberg On Bogus Gun Charge | Popehat

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Isn't there a judge's contempt order? Does that trump the cited statute under Minnesota law?

I would hope not. Here we have a guy who dotted the i's and crossed the t's and never even entered a court to cause offence. Not sure how the judge could even come to a contempt conclusion.

I could be mistaken but I think Kirk may have meant an order of contempt applied to the judge, not by him to the defendant.

:dunno:

I would be interested in knowing more if this is the case.

Blessings,
    Bill

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    A big +1 for Joel Rosenberg. Not only a fantasy author but an expert in Middle East affairs. His Jihad series is excellent. I am in the middle of his newest book now. Just though I would throw that in.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I could be mistaken but I think Kirk may have meant an order of contempt applied to the judge, not by him to the defendant.

:dunno:

I would be interested in knowing more if this is the case.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Apply a contempt order to the judge? Hmm..maybe. I'd prefer to see him dragged from the courthouse, whipped, tarred and feathered then ridden out of town on a rail. Judges are too lenient with their buddies.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not sure how the judge could even come to a contempt conclusion.

No conclusion is necessary merely issue an order prohibiting firearms in the court building and (I am speculatiing) that could serve as basis for the criminal charges.

Just because you phone ahead and excuse yourself from one criminal statute, does not mean you necessarily get to ignore the judge's order.

Remember, I don't know Minnesota so this is all conjecture on my part.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No conclusion is necessary merely issue an order prohibiting firearms in the court building and (I am speculatiing) that could serve as basis for the criminal charges.

Just because you phone ahead and excuse yourself from one criminal statute, does not mean you necessarily get to ignore the judge's order.

Remember, I don't know Minnesota so this is all conjecture on my part.
    Would that necessarily be the case? It sounds to me as if there is an actual statute on carry in a court and that there is an exclusion, with the sheriffs permission. I don't think it is a no firearm zone due to a judges order. Not sure why he did what he did, (and he's apparently not talking yet).

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So, not only did he get permission, he was also told to just take it to the car once he got there, and did so, and everything was fine, but he was arrested LATER after he posted his videos of the incident online??

Got permission. Check
    Then told he was OK as long as he took it to the car. Check
    Someone got butthurt that he posted the video, then had Joel arrested. Check

oy

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Minneapolis' City Hall is a city building, separate from Hennepin County. I didn't see this in the article, but they may have arrested Rosenburg on a technicality. "persons who carry pistols according to the terms of a [carry] permit issued under section 624.714 and who so notify the sheriff or the commissioner of public safety, as appropriate…"

Since the Minneapolis City Hall is not a county facility, it may have been "appropriate" for Rosenberg to notify the commissioner of public safety."

Regardless, it's a cheap arrest.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Minneapolis' City Hall is a city building, separate from Hennepin County. I didn't see this in the article, but they may have arrested Rosenburg on a technicality. "persons who carry pistols according to the terms of a [carry] permit issued under section 624.714 and who so notify the sheriff or the commissioner of public safety, as appropriate…"

Since the Minneapolis City Hall is not a county facility, it may have been "appropriate" for Rosenberg to notify the commissioner of public safety."

Regardless, it's a cheap arrest.

I was under the impression he did notify them, and obtained permission...

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I was under the impression he did notify them, and obtained permission...
    He notified the sheriff who is a county official. Perhaps he should have notified the city's public safety commissioner. I am only guessing.

Top Bottom