Are you afraid to walk into the woods in the dark ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    This is kind of funny to me, but are you afraid of the dark ? We were talking about how many guys that will not walk into the woods in the dark, don't understand why ? All but they are afraid of the dark and what might get them such as coyotes, dogs or whatever.... Most guys won't admit to being afraid of the dark, but I think it is kind of funny....:): :rolleyes: I think its not that most are afraid of the dark its just afraid to walk into the woods in the dark.... ??? I know at least 4 guys that will not walk into the woods untill its just breaking day light.... Edit; Yes I mean with the aid of a flash light, The ones Im talking about just refuse to walk into the woods in the dark PERIOD, flask light or not !!!

Last edited:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Can I at least have a flashlight?

I am not scared of the dark, I am scared of tripping over stuff woods and hurting myself.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Can I at least have a flashlight?

I am not scared of the dark, I am scared of tripping over stuff woods and hurting myself.

Yep. I have a flashlight I use when walking in, I use the red beam so I can get just enough light not to trip or walk in to a branch and poke myself in the eye or something.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My 18 year old son goes full on 3 year old if you stick him outdoors in the dark:crying:. He's also scared of spiders:rolleyes:. Not sure where I went wrong.:ugh:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    No. I can see in the dark.

3cdd7f4a-e85f-4e40-a45f-f12c787e9368_zpsa9357c19.jpg

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Not afraid, per se, but, without a flashlight or at least some moonlight, it can suck. Thin branches have a way of finding my face and I really don't enjoy bumping into honeylocust trees, particularly if I loose my footing working my way down a hill.

Also, it sucks to set up in a good ground spot only to find out a few hours later that you are on top of or right next to a sizable insect nest. Be it wasps, ants, or other I've never liked looking down at my legs and seeing them covered in critters.

With a flashlight (white, red, or green) or a reasonable amount of moonlight, I don't think I have ever had a problem.

OTOH, working lights-out in an "empty" manufacturing facility has always bothered me. Between the compressors/furnaces/fans starting up, equipment settling after being shut down for a few hours, and the birds/raccoons/mice/rats moving around in the rafters (and walls), I'd go nuts without a movie or music for background noise.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Man's been afraid of the dark since the time that we were not # uno on the food chain. It's in our dna so to speak. But with .44 in hand I walk through the valley of the shadow of darkness and fear no evil. Well at least as I type this in the comfort and safety of my home.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It honestly depends on the wood's location. I grew up in the middle of TN nowhere close to civilization. Walking the woods in the dark never bothered me.
    I was coon hunting one night and something came at me that was breaking saplings and stunk to high heaven. My Walkers left me pronto and headed back to the safety of their dog boxes. All I had was a Remington nylon .22..
    Now I carry a huge pistol when walking in certain woods. Bigfoot ain't my buddy no more.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I do some hunting down in southern Georgia and walking the swamp edges at night gives me the creeps at times. Snakes, gators, all kinds of little nasties. I tend to go with a big bright flashlight on those walks!

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Depending on the moon and how full it is an how much cloud cover there is, it can be enjoyable or miserable.

During S.E.R.E. school I got first hand experience with guys afraid of the wood in the dark. They'd always want to break out a flashlight and it would irritate us to no end. Took time for them to realize (plus lights taken away) that if you relax, let your eyes adjust, that you'll be able to see pretty well with no flashlight.

Only sucky thing is spiders/spider webs

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Per most above, it doesn't bother me to do it. If there is no moonlight at all though, I will use a flashlight. I usually walk with my gun or arm out ahead of my face to feel for small branches.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    There is nothing in there that isn't there in the daylight.
    You just tend to run into less crap when you can see where you are going.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I usually have a firearm when I walk in the woods whether its light or dark. After dark I'd prefer a flashlight of some kind to keep from tripping over something.
    Funny story. When I was 16 I was sleeping in the woods, laying on my back. I woke up with a possum standing on my chest sniffing my face, scared the h*** out of me. I yelled and it just turned and wandered off.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We live in the woods and have no outside security lights. I walk outside in the dark and usually forget my flashlight regardless of how far I am going. Driveway is 800 feet and we have a gate at the end. If we have company that stays late, I walk down to close the gate after the last one has gone and wander back. It is a very peaceful feeling to be out there just listening to the birds, critters, etc.

We have camped out in our woods and often walked back to the house at night (especially when the kids were smaller) to use the bathroom or get something we forgot to take out with us. It never bothered the kids either.

I have had babysitters who would have every light in the house turned on when we came home cause the darkness scared them.

Top Bottom