Are brands like Sypder Co and Benchmade worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got an older Benchmade 275 Adamas, and that knife is a beast of a folder. I've got a couple of their fixed blades as well, the 375 Adamas (I removed the coating because I wanted bare steel on this one) and the 180 Outbounder (long discontinued). Each of these was well worth the money to me.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    give me a $50 knife that works so i don't want to kick co-worker in the ass if it disappears.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Sounds like your coworker needs to get their own knife. I don’t lend mine out more than once, and for other tools my rule is “if you have to borrow it more than twice, you need to buy your own.”

Carpenter

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Clinton, In
    My original Spyderco Endura [molded clip]was a gift 20 yrs ago, broke clip, sent to Spyderco, new metal clip installed free, retired about ten years ago, replaced with endura4 , am just now replacing with new endura 4. Love the hole for opening. Both knives still usable, original in slightly better shape than last one. Worked as a carpenter/ maintenance saw mill, no babying them.

sell33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Delaware County
    I have had several of both. Of those two I prefer Spyderco. However I have stuck mostly to the lower price range of each. My favorite is a Spydie PM2. As many state steel makes a big difference. My go to is Cru Wear. CW holds an edge well and is also very tough.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I own both benchmades and Spyderco as well as cheaper knife brands. How often do you use your carry pistol for its intended use? How much does it cost? How often do you use a pocket knife?

My $300+ Benchmade is used daily for cutting, even just opening mail. My carry pistol costs twice as much and sits on my hip unless I go target shooting. In reality my knife is more used than my pistol. They are both tools. I like owning quality tools.

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    Both BM and Spyderco make great knives. I have had both but Spyderco get my money mostly now. I am sold on the spyder hole instead of blade studs and Spyderco beats the others IMHO for innovation and variety. They offer just about any blade steel under the sun and with their Mule program, give you a chance to test them at a reasonable price. I've currently have various models with CPM Cruwear, K390, Maximet, and S90V. The Stretch 2 in K390 is a great knife with an awesome steel (if you don't mind non-stainless) at a good price. My favorite at the moment is the PM2 in CPM Cruwear. Great combination.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    Both BM and Spyderco make great knives. I have had both but Spyderco get my money mostly now. I am sold on the spyder hole instead of blade studs and Spyderco beats the others IMHO for innovation and variety. They offer just about any blade steel under the sun and with their Mule program, give you a chance to test them at a reasonable price. I've currently have various models with CPM Cruwear, K390, Maximet, and S90V. The Stretch 2 in K390 is a great knife with an awesome steel (if you don't mind non-stainless) at a good price. My favorite at the moment is the PM2 in CPM Cruwear. Great combination.
    Stretch 2 in CruWear also :thumbsup:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    teIOyZ8.jpg

Spyderco it about the best in terms of cost / quality IMHO, years ago they had a run of ZDP-189 knives and I got one for my tool maker best friend he still uses it almost 6 years later.

mWndH1d.jpg

CRU-WEAR is also epic , one of the cleanest best performing steels out there with M-390 being the closest competitor IMHO. Takes a phenomenal edge, one of the original CRU-WEAR Manix-2's Spyderco did

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you don't have the right stuff to keep a higher end steel sharp, then I'd say it's not worth the money. You'll just end up making a mess of a very nice and very expensive knife.

If you do, then there are significant benefits in daily use if you pick the right steel for what you want to do.

I'd second the notion that spydercos are the best bang for the buck for a higher end knife. They'll give you some pretty special steels in a very well built knife for a reasonable price. They can be a little rough around the edges but they are very well made.

My manix 2 in S110V is a joy.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If you don't have the right stuff to keep a higher end steel sharp, then I'd say it's not worth the money. You'll just end up making a mess of a very nice and very expensive knife.

If you do, then there are significant benefits in daily use if you pick the right steel for what you want to do.

I'd second the notion that spydercos are the best bang for the buck for a higher end knife. They'll give you some pretty special steels in a very well built knife for a reasonable price. They can be a little rough around the edges but they are very well made.

My manix 2 in S110V is a joy.

S110V is good , I really want to try out some Vanax and MagnaKut , also very interested in Microtechs new proprietary M390m steel made exclusively for them by Böhler.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a Spyderco that I've been carrying for over 25 years. The steel is somewhat soft, so it takes a good sharpening, but dulls pretty quickly. I traded a Victorinox camper + $15.00 for it at a gun show. So far, I've never broken a knife, but have lost a couple (one recently). I don't think the Benchmade knives and other "top" brands are worth the extra money for what most of us use a knife for. Most of us would probably be better off carrying a Leatherman or Gerber combo knife, but we wouldn't be tacticool and couldn't brag about our $400 OTF Benchmade!

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    I started carrying a Spyderco Delica in the 90's at a previous job, we got the full serrated ones for cutting rubber hose, shrink wrap and the like. Became so fond of the Delica I've started to collect them in all the different scale colors with plain edge now. For less than 100 bucks they are a good value IMHO.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    I started carrying a Spyderco Delica in the 90's at a previous job, we got the full serrated ones for cutting rubber hose, shrink wrap and the like. Became so fond of the Delica I've started to collect them in all the different scale colors with plain edge now. For less than 100 bucks they are a good value IMHO.
    I think Spyderco definitely delivers great value on their products. They have a lot of nice, durable, usable products that also won't break the bank.

Top Bottom