Are brands like Sypder Co and Benchmade worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Loved my little BM Mini Griptillian, but I won't carry a BM amymore. The gun destroying social media post did it for me.

zkljDja.jpg

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Not defending them, however this was blown a bit out of proportion when it happened in 2019. And Benchmade sure didn’t help themselves at all in the handling of it.

The police in Oregon are required by law to destroy confiscated property (not only guns) and Benchmade offered to help them out so they wouldn’t have to spend money on the equipment needed to do it. :dunno:

Other states have laws where they’re required to sell them off, but Oregon lawmakers created laws that they have to be destroyed.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Not defending them, however this was blown a bit out of proportion when it happened in 2019. And Benchmade sure didn’t help themselves at all in the handling of it.

The police in Oregon are required by law to destroy confiscated property (not only guns) and Benchmade offered to help them out so they wouldn’t have to spend money on the equipment needed to do it. :dunno:

Other states have laws where they’re required to sell them off, but Oregon lawmakers created laws that they have to be destroyed.
    Government entities that pass these kinds of laws should bear the financial burdens of their decisions. Private companies have no business in providing assistance.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Government entities that pass these kinds of laws should bear the financial burdens of their decisions. Private companies have no business in providing assistance.
    I wasn’t trying defend one way or the other. There’s just always a lot of detail left out.

Government entities then take more from the people though. So I get both sides.

I do prefer Spyderco over Benchmade, but I still have 3 of them and they’re still pretty well built knives. :dunno:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    And Benchmade sure didn’t help themselves at all in the handling of it.
    Exactly what burned me the most. The response was basically "We support 2A, but..."

“We apologize for the confusion and concern that this post created. These were firearms that the Oregon City Police Department had to destroy in alignment with their policies. Oregon City Police requested the use of specialty equipment within the Benchmade facility to follow these requirements, and as a supporting partner of our local police force, we obliged the request.

Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights. These are commitments that we do not take lightly and will continue to support well into the future."

Specialty equipment like a $50 Harbor freight angle grinder?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have a Benchmade AFCK that has been my EDC for about 25 years. It has been used for just about everything that it's not supposed to be used for. I had it arc between 2 poles on an electrical plug once and thought I ruined the blade. Had an old member here re-grind the blade and it was as good as new. About once a year, I send it back to Benchmade to have them clean and sharpen it. Otherwise, I just hone it when it gets dull. It's been rode hard and put away wet, but its one of the best knives I've owned.

tnboy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2023
    Fort Wayne IN
    I own several Benchmade and numerous budget knives. My one Benchmade is the carbon fiber one and I EDC it because it is very light. It is necessary? NO and I love my Kershaw knives for example some of which I got on sale for around $20.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I've been carrying CRKTs and Kershaws for years. They get beat up and tired, I spend $50-$60 and just get a new one. To me, knives are like gun magazines, expendable after a while.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Here’s how I handled the Benchmade debacle: I don’t buy new knives from Benchmade. I buy used. They don’t see my money, and I get to use their knife. Win/win, IMO.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Loved my little BM Mini Griptillian, but I won't carry a BM amymore. The gun destroying social media post did it for me.

zkljDja.jpg
    I almost thought all of INGO forgot. It is surprising given how much outrage was expressed when this came out.

Personally, I just haven't found a benchmade that I needed to buy, and I dislike the design of Spyderco knives.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I almost thought all of INGO forgot. It is surprising given how much outrage was expressed when this came out.
    I mean, it’s not like they were funding a gun buyback :dunno:

I saw it more as trying to save taxpayers money. But everyone interprets it differently and the headlines picked and chose the most inflammatory part of the situation.

I’m neutral on it. The think other companies provide a better value for the money, but I don’t avoid them for this specific reason. If there was a good price on one, I wouldn’t avoid it.

How many people avoid Colt for some of the things they’ve said and done on the past? Ruger? Lots of examples :dunno:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do you know that Benchmade wasn't paid for those services?

They have the tools, the PD needs the services...

I do remember that I thought this was a nothing burger, and I still do.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

And every steel mill producing for a car company has melted down guns.
    So I guess everyone is NOT buying any cars.
    Or not.

If someone wants guns to be resold or whatever, petition to change what happens.
    But, while there are some great guns melted, a great majority of them are trash.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Do you know that Benchmade WAS paid for their services? It doesn't sound like it.

spalfano

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    New Palestine
    For me it’s about the blade steel. It’s about what the knife is being used for. I’ve got a couple bugouts and like them but the blade steel needs care to not rust fast compared to other blades. Though I got a fixed blade from Bradford that is made from magnacut steel that I’m really loving. I digress… to answer the question of is it worth it, it’s a preference thing. Worth is what you get out of it for the use. If you just want a beater, grab a civivi or kershaw, $50 is not as big a bill to foot for a beater blade.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I have carried a knife everyday for about 40 years and have tried many brands. For the money SPYDERCO has proven to be a great value. For around $100 you can get a very well made knife that will stand up to hard use.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I have edc'd a Benchmade bug out for the last 5 years. So far it has been worth it for me. Holds an edge very well.

Top Bottom