Are brands like Sypder Co and Benchmade worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I know that these brands use high quality materials for their blade and construction, but how much better can a $200-$300 knife be then one that’s less than $100? If you have one of these brands, or another one similar, how did it handle rough use? Thanks.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I’ve got a 39 dollar Schrade made of hi carbon that I carried every day for 24 years of use on commercial construction jobs can’t get much more abused than that. I’ve still got it, it still works great around the farm. I buy cheap smith and Wesson knives 4 or 5 at a time from SMKW I loose’m before I break’m.

To each his own, my two cents. My hi dollar knives are in the dark hidey spot collecting dust n hangin out.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I've had both and both are awesome knives. I tried using them in my EDC and neither lasted a year due solely to my abuse and improper use.

For the last few years I've had a $50 price cap on any EDC knife and usually go through at least one per year or so.

Lately, I keep a utility knife on me and that seems to extend the life of my knives.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I know that these brands use high quality materials for their blade and construction, but how much better can a $200-$300 knife be then one that’s less than $100? If you have one of these brands, or another one similar, how did it handle rough use? Thanks.
    There are so many variables here that determine cost.

Are they worth it? Yes.
    Are some of them overpriced? Yes.

Are all of them overpriced? Absolutely not.

It really depends on your use and how you abuse it to determine which one to get. ZT makes some good hard use knives too and not all of them are pricey.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    Lot of different materials can determine cost. Handles, blade, frame, bushings, bearings, pocket clip, etc etc

There are also some Spyderco and Benchmade that are closer to $100.

Don’t forget Buck, Kershaw, ZT, Etc etc

Spyderco traditionally has thinner more slicey blades. ZT has thicker hard use blades. Your everyday use isn’t the same as someone else’s use.

It’s like buying a car or a gun. You have to get the right features for your use, and not every feature helps you specifically.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    I’ll also add that I’ve ordered in some Civivi and WE Knife models for some customers and they’ve turned out to be a lot better than expected.

There are definitely good sub $100 knives out there. Including some Spyderco models

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I carried a $40 spyderco delica for over a decade and used it daily. I recently upgraded to a benchmade OTF. The main differences I notice are that the fit and quality of the BM components are better and I don't have to sharpen the BM as often as I did the spyderco. I guess one other difference is that I find myself being more careful with the BM. I don't abuse it like I did the spyderco.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I carried a $40 spyderco delica for over a decade and used it daily. I recently upgraded to a benchmade OTF. The main differences I notice are that the fit and quality of the BM components are better and I don't have to sharpen the BM as often as I did the spyderco. I guess one other difference is that I find myself being more careful with the BM. I don't abuse it like I did the spyderco.
    I think you’d find similar comparisons with a higher end Spyderco also

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Lot of different materials can determine cost. Handles, blade, frame, bushings, bearings, pocket clip, etc etc

There are also some Spyderco and Benchmade that are closer to $100.

Don’t forget Buck, Kershaw, ZT, Etc etc

Spyderco traditionally has thinner more slicey blades. ZT has thicker hard use blades. Your everyday use isn’t the same as someone else’s use.

It’s like buying a car or a gun. You have to get the right features for your use, and not every feature helps you specifically.
    A currently have a Buck 292 as my EDC. It was around a $75 knife. It’s held up to abuse quite well. I do a lot of farm work and house work so the thicker blade of ZT would be good for me. I hadn’t heard of that brand so I’m going to go look them up.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    A currently have a Buck 292 as my EDC. It was around a $75 knife. It’s held up to abuse quite well. I do a lot of farm work and house work so the thicker blade of ZT would be good for me. I hadn’t heard of that brand so I’m going to go look them up.
    If you find one you like, let me know. I can order them in pretty quickly and likely save you a little too

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Yep, just like buying a firearm, your mission should drive the gear. But in short, I absolutely recommend Spyderco and BM to people. I used cheap knives (such as the S&W brand stuff or CRKT) for years, and for the abusive work I did, they held up pretty well. I had to sharpen them more often because they used a lower grade of steel, but for cutting through freight straps, stripping wire, and generally beating them up, they did very well. But once I discovered how much better Spydie and BM were, there was no going back.

Price held me back for years, but then I took a used BM Mini-Barrage in on trade and it was all over. I started looking at more used options and found that there were several from each company that were reasonably priced even when new (the Delica or Endura, the Griptilian, etc.). I saved up and bought many of them to try and discovered they were phenomenal and well worth the price!

I get pretty deep into knives for awhile, collecting many that are now discontinued (man do I wish BM would bring back the later variants of the AFCK!), but I’ve settled back down to the Delica, Endura, and Stretch (my favorite!) from Spyderco, and the Griptilian and older Presidio from BM for daily carry. I do still have an original Spyderco Gayle Bradley for when I want to be fancy lol. I will be adding another Spydie ParaMilitary2 eventually, but that may be it.

Anyway, you can’t go wrong with either, and they’ll serve you for years to come if you don’t use them as pry bars or screw drivers lol!

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    Yep, just like buying a firearm, your mission should drive the gear. But in short, I absolutely recommend Spyderco and BM to people. I used cheap knives (such as the S&W brand stuff or CRKT) for years, and for the abusive work I did, they held up pretty well. I had to sharpen them more often because they used a lower grade of steel, but for cutting through freight straps, stripping wire, and generally beating them up, they did very well. But once I discovered how much better Spydie and BM were, there was no going back.

Price held me back for years, but then I took a used BM Mini-Barrage in on trade and it was all over. I started looking at more used options and found that there were several from each company that were reasonably priced even when new (the Delica or Endura, the Griptilian, etc.). I saved up and bought many of them to try and discovered they were phenomenal and well worth the price!

I get pretty deep into knives for awhile, collecting many that are now discontinued (man do I wish BM would bring back the later variants of the AFCK!), but I’ve settled back down to the Delica, Endura, and Stretch (my favorite!) from Spyderco, and the Griptilian and older Presidio from BM for daily carry. I do still have an original Spyderco Gayle Bradley for when I want to be fancy lol. I will be adding another Spydie ParaMilitary2 eventually, but that may be it.

Anyway, you can’t go wrong with either, and they’ll serve you for years to come if you don’t use them as pry bars or screw drivers lol!
    Spyderco PM2 is probably one of the most popular ones. I always try to keep at least one in stock, but a lot of the variants are out of stock a lot. I'm always keeping an eye out though.

Top Bottom