Are brands like Sypder Co and Benchmade worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dim Mak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Naptown
    I like junk knives and good knives. Spyderco and Benchmade are some of the best. I like old Benchmade, not a fan of their newer line ups. Spyderco gets my money more often than Benchmade though.

spalfano

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    New Palestine
    So I found something cool today at the gun show I didn’t know about. Olight has knives! I’m particular, the oknife rubato 3. It’s got axis release like benchmades (their patent expired). Really nice blades and smooth action. My buddy grabbed one for like $80. It’s on par with a bugout from benchmade at less than half the cost. Check them out! I’m going to grab one myself.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    So I found something cool today at the gun show I didn’t know about. Olight has knives! I’m particular, the oknife rubato 3. It’s got axis release like benchmades (their patent expired). Really nice blades and smooth action. My buddy grabbed one for like $80. It’s on par with a bugout from benchmade at less than half the cost. Check them out! I’m going to grab one myself.
    I can get olight also (lights too). If you get one I’d love to see a review on it.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I've owned a BM for 15 or 20 years. It's the one with the spyderco hole. I got a great deal on it because they closed them out after the law suit. It's had a hard life and it's a bit hard to sharpen but it has served me well.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've owned a BM for 15 or 20 years. It's the one with the spyderco hole. I got a great deal on it because they closed them out after the law suit. It's had a hard life and it's a bit hard to sharpen but it has served me well.
    The Griptilian? They still make those. :dunno:

macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    In my opinion absolutely they are. For the most part for me a lot of it boils down to one main thing and that's maintaining value while still being usable. My rotation of Knives rotates between a Benchmade Bugout with Carbon Fiber scales, A Spyderco Howard Viele, and a Microtech Ultratech. For the most part none of these see super heavy use but I know that in the end if I carry a $5 walmart special yeah it will cut, it will need sharpened but in the end it will always be a $1 knife in a box at a gun show in the future. I know that my Benchmades, Spyderco's, and Microtech's will always hold a value should I ever need to sell it. Add that on top of the fact that it's American Made and being put back into American manufacturers that to me is enough to want to continue to purchase and use them.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I have a couple Spyderco and I only carry them when I go shopping with the wife. Every day I'm carrying a Milwaukee Fastback. I just know I'm going to be cutting something stupid and I'm going to need to replace the blade!

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not a very good knife guy.

I think brands like Spyderco and Benchmade are "known entities". Like if a guy doesn't know about guns, he certainly has heard of a Mossberg shotgun and a Glock pistol.

It doesn't mean those are the best brands.

Now here is where I have a bit of an issue. In the gun world, there are folks who HATE whatever are the dominant brands. There are folks who want to spend more or spend less just to avoid the big names, then justify why.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    I'm not a very good knife guy.

I think brands like Spyderco and Benchmade are "known entities". Like if a guy doesn't know about guns, he certainly has heard of a Mossberg shotgun and a Glock pistol.

It doesn't mean those are the best brands.

Now here is where I have a bit of an issue. In the gun world, there are folks who HATE whatever are the dominant brands. There are folks who want to spend more or spend less just to avoid the big names, then justify why.

I would add that unlike Benchmade, Spyderco has pretty good offerings all across the spectrum. You can get a pretty decent one for less than $100 easily, and you can also spend as much as $400 if you really wanted to.

Their most popular knives are around the $150 mark give or take a bit. Some less, some more.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I would add that unlike Benchmade, Spyderco has pretty good offerings all across the spectrum. You can get a pretty decent one for less than $100 easily, and you can also spend as much as $400 if you really wanted to.

Their most popular knives are around the $150 mark give or take a bit. Some less, some more.

This is very true. It's a wide spectrum.

I have a Spyderco Manbug ($40), and it's a handy knife that I hang on a belt loop.
    I also have the Spyderco below, that was customized by Sante Fe Stoneworks. It was more that $400, but I enjoy it dearly. It's like a piece of art to me !
    It has Mammoth tooth inlays, set into polished Jet.

i-HFWXff7-L.jpg

Top Bottom