Anyone have Straight Eights on their Glocks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I do. I prefer to have just the front tritium insert in my guns, but if you want something in the rear too, the single dot (a la the Straight 8s) or a horizontal bar is the way to go. Two dots in the rear can really confuse you in low light.

The Heinie rear sight is excellent even without the tritium.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I have 'em on my Kimber, and had them on my USP too. Great sights. If I still had a Glock, I'd put 'em on in a heartbeat.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Could I convince you to bring your Taurus to FNS so I could see the setup? I've only seen pics, but want to bring it up to look. Myy double astigmatism eyesight just can't do 3 dots.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Could I convince you to bring your Taurus to FNS so I could see the setup? I've only seen pics, but want to bring it up to look. Myy double astigmatism eyesight just can't do 3 dots.

Yup, that's what I'll be shooting, so it'll be there :draw:

The Taurus is just white dots, no Tritium, but I shoot it better than my Glock. Not sure if it's the sights, the gun or a combination, but I think this thread has convinced me to get a set on my Glcok 19.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    The straight eights were the first thing to go on my Taurus 1911. I just couldn't get used to them. They seemed to make the gun shoot low too... about 4" low at 25-yards. But I bet if we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place!

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Many don't like the straight 8's on the Taurus, but if you like them, I think it totally makes sense to use them on your other handguns as well. This will only enhance your ability to shoot effectively no matter the handgun you are using.

Good Choice if it works for you

CoyoteCreekGuns

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I think the 3 dots are a better idea. Probaly having the front and rear different colors is the best, as this allows distinction between front and rear sights and still allows elevation reference in low light that the Straight 8's does not. On top of all that, i went to college in Quincy, IL where Dick Heinie's shop is and he's an asshat! I'll never buy any damned thing with his name on it, no matter how great it may be!

Doug K

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    My eyes cannot pick out the 3 dots (tritiums) at night at all. I can barely keep an eye on them in the daytime. I need a simpler design. That is why I wanted to either shoot Nate's or at least hold the pistol to be able to get an idea if it's 'good for me'.

I may end up being an XS guy. Anyone bringing anything that XS sights on it?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'll see how I like the straight Eights on my 1911 for FNS, see what my eyes do with them in some "real use."

Also though, I read this on Heinie's website, any thoughts?

Glock Sights
    Heinie Specialty Products, Inc. has done extensive testing on all Glock models with many different types and brands of ammunition so we could offer one set of sights that will work for all Glock pistols. Occasionally we have found that the following models: G-19, G-22, & G-35 may shoot 2 1/2-3 inches high. This may be due to manufacturing tolerances of the pistol, the type of ammunition fired, or the individual shooting the pistol. In order to better serve our customers, we offer part number #323, 324, 326, & 327 to change impact. If you have a problem you may purchase these sights directly from Heinie Specialty Products, Inc. at a reduced price providing you can send us a copy of your original invoice showing the purchase within 30 days of a complete set of Heinie Glock Sights. Glock SlantPro Sights are available in our standard black oxide finish or with the option of a Black Teflon finish. Be sure to choose your finish option when ordering. All new production Heinie Glock Sights have a set screw added to further lock the sight into the dovetail. The Glock sights have an interferance fit dovetail with a crush slot to conform to the irregular shapped Glock dovetail. The set screw also is designed to have an interferance fit, so once it is tightened, the sight will not come loose in extreme hard use situations.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I'll see how I like the straight Eights on my 1911 for FNS, see what my eyes do with them in some "real use."

Also though, I read this on Heinie's website, any thoughts?

I wonder at what distance 'high' is? 25 yards, 10? They sure look good though. I LOVE the sights on my 22/45. I can pick up that thinner front blade easier and the lower rear sight helps me. Even at FNS last month in the nighttime I was shooting it pretty decent. Beings I had never shot a Ruger Mark pistol in my life. :)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    We'll find out soon enough, I shot Ernie at Hoosier Gun Coat a PM to check installed prices, but if the price is as reasonable as the traditional 3-dots he quoted me, I'll be getting them. :D

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    What do they mean here?

When aligning this sight picture, put one dot on top of the other dot making an elongated figure eight

Figure eight?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What do they mean here?

Found this:
    eight.gif

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Is 'Hoosier Gun Coat' doing the install? If so, I didn't know he did things of that nature.

Yup, Ernie can do almost anything you need. Once I get my AR mag block for my Saiga, he'll be milling part of the gun. For $100 installed for the Henies, I figured what the hell and told him to get me a set.

Top Bottom