• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have had some AR 80% lowers sitting on a shelf for years that I never completed but I finally took care of this 80% arms GST-9. Anyone else in the 80% club? IMG_20211217_175322.jpg

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    2-80% Glock 19s
    1-80% Glock 26
    4-80% AR-15 lowers, 1 5.56, 1 223 wylde, 1 300blk, and 1 6.5 grendel, (2 polymer, 2 aluminum)
    2 AR-10 lowers, 308 and 6.5 creedmoor, (both aluminum)
    I love these things.
    I may be lucky, but, they have all worked perfect and were very easy to build.

retyree98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I don't even know what an 80% is. Don't tell me because I want to remain ignorant in that regard. And to the decent"rank and file" members of any alphabet agencies and local law enforcement members here at INGO, we love and support you.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    There is quite a bit of "mis-information" out here.
    80% lowers are legal.
    The laws state that I can build my own firearms for my own use.
    They can't "confiscate" what they don't know you have.
    Of course, I am a notorious liar and nothing I say on an open, public forum constitutes advising anyone to violate any law or statutes.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I will share my 80% project, something I finished recently that was never supposed to be one in the first place. I used to own a Galil clone that I have always regretted selling, so when I saw ex-IDF Galil parts kits for sale I picked one up with the intention of getting someone else to build it for me.

hXYCErZ.jpg

The problem was that I could not find anyone that had a receiver available. However, I did find a reputable receiver maker that had an 80% receiver available, so I went ahead and purchased one of those. I am glad I did because they were quickly sold out soon after that. I was now embarked on a project that was very satisfying, but that I never would have took on if I had any inkling of just what a project it would actually become!

s5Jk0JP.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of what the receiver looked like when I got it. I had to drill all of the holes to mount the various fire control components, as well as the slots for the trigger and the pistol grip hardware, and finish the rails the bolt carrier rides on. The build also required the installation of rivets for the magazine catch hardware, removing the front sight assembly from the old cut up barrel in the parts kit, and then installing it on a new barrel.

FmeoB9H.jpg

y7ltMpo.jpg

PeLvVj3.jpg

inmowto.jpg

J1Y6351.jpg

The only tools I had when I started this project was the typical hand tools that everyone has and a Dremel tool! I ended up going to some auctions and finding a virtually new drill press and a very well used shop press that I was able to pick up at very nice prices. I also ended up building myself a work bench to use while doing this project.

UZADaRr.jpg

I felt the drill press was necessary to make sure I could drill holes that lined up with each other on each side of the receiver so that the pins that locate the fire control group would be true. Perhaps it could have been done with just a hand drill, but I didn't want to risk it.

The shop press was absolutely required to be able to apply the kind of force necessary for removal/installation of the front sight assembly and riveting the magazine catch.

Much of the finishing of the receiver was literally done with a Dremel tool and hand files! I am fortunate enough to be retired and blessed with a lot of patience. Covid and the associated shut-downs provided me with nothing better to do than work on this!

I ended up learning a lot of things I never intended to know about, such as riveting, press fitting parts together, and barrel installation.

I am very, very pleased with how it all turned out. Everything really lined up nicely and it feels very smooth. I may yet end up learning some more things. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, and will probably wait until warmer weather. I'm actually confident it will run just fine. They tend to be over-gassed, but very reliable.

The question mark at this point is whether I will have to make any adjustments to the bolt to loosen up the head space. I intentionally set it up very tight in case it lengthens once I start shooting it. I'm kind of assuming the locking lugs will have at least a little set back. We'll see.

In any case, it has been a fun and gratifying project!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like the concept. Good for you folks that exercise your rights to do it!

I've always been nervous about how officer friendly might handle running the serial numbers on my un-serialized gun? I know it's legal and would come out on top, but not sure about any stupid human tricks I might be run through with uninformed officers "letting this all get sorted out at the station."

Might be a different story, if the anti's ever get their way and make private sales illegal?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I like the concept. Good for you folks that exercise your rights to do it!

I've always been nervous about how officer friendly might handle running the serial numbers on my un-serialized gun? I know it's legal and would come out on top, but not sure about any stupid human tricks I might be run through with uninformed officers "letting this all get sorted out at the station."

Might be a different story, if the anti's ever get their way and make private sales illegal?
    A non-serialized gun probably is not supposed to be your EDC. I'm not sure exactly what its role is, but I'm thinking that people who meekly submit to gun confiscation of their serialized guns are going to find themselves too scared to carry their secret gun as well, if it comes to that.

If it's time to bury them, it's time to dig them up.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    A non-serialized gun probably is not supposed to be your EDC. I'm not sure exactly what its role is, but I'm thinking that people who meekly submit to gun confiscation of their serialized guns are going to find themselves too scared to carry their secret gun as well, if it comes to that.

If it's time to bury them, it's time to dig them up.
    I emailed the ISP Legal division and have a reply I can access easily on my phone. You know, in case I need it… lol
    What it says is: If it can be legally owned, it can be legally carried.
    A Polymer 80 can be legally owned, therefore, it can be carried. I had a gun store lawyer tell me it couldn’t be. IT’S ILLEGAL!
    Um….no, it’s not.
    Carry on.

Top Bottom