• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Just picked up a new galco fletch holster for my glock 22. Anyway, I've had an opportunity to OC it for a few days and noticed a HUGE reduction in stares/questions/etc. in comparison to when I OC with my blackhawk serpa. Not that they were prevalent before, but certainly enough to be noticeable.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon? I wonder if it just hasn't been enough time yet, or if the leather makes it look "official". hahaha

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just picked up a new galco fletch holster for my glock 22. Anyway, I've had an opportunity to OC it for a few days and noticed a HUGE reduction in stares/questions/etc. in comparison to when I OC with my blackhawk serpa. Not that they were prevalent before, but certainly enough to be noticeable.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon? I wonder if it just hasn't been enough time yet, or if the leather makes it look "official". hahaha

Leather is more friendly. :)

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Honestly leather looks less "Tacticool". Tacticool draws stares...

If you OC you're under constant scrutiny and unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who try to be something they are not and many of them choose polymer OWB or Drop leg holsters as their primary "Display" for their "tool".

Leather is generally lower key, more comfortable and doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME I HAVE A GUN" like a big bulky polymer OC holster can.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I carry in a Serpa and I don't care if anyone is looking, i have a lot more people open the door for me and say sir when i OC, but that is about the only difference i notice. In the year that i have been carrying(mostly OC) i have had 1 negative carry encounter and many positive encounters so i will continue to OC whenever possible.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Is your Galco Fletch holster black or cowboy leather?

Either way... I don't think it looks any less official than a Blackhawk Serpa...
    But your new holster probably rides a little closer to you than your Serpa did so it's a little lower profile.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I am also of the opinion that leather (tan/black) is 'lower' profile. The Galco belt slide I use for my G19 holds it VERY close to my body. The Serpa's hold it slightly away from your body. I find leather holsters more comfortable and there is no handgun 'bounce'. Definitely notice a difference when driving a car.

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    Leather is generally lower key, more comfortable and doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME I HAVE A GUN" like a big bulky polymer OC holster can.

Well, this is easy enough enough to test. All we need is 2 volunteers, one with a serpa and one with a leather holster. We'll call them A and B. Now, along with a 3rd person(C), A and B goes and OCs at the zoo. Idealistically, to make things easier, A and B go to different exhibits. Now C listens to a scanner(or scanner app) and counts the number of MWAGs referring to each exhibit.

I'd volunteer, but I'm more of an exotic leather sort of guy, so that might skew things.

eclipse1 by Steven Berry, on Flickr

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Well, this is easy enough enough to test. All we need is 2 volunteers, one with a serpa and one with a leather holster. We'll call them A and B. Now, along with a 3rd person(C), A and B goes and OCs at the zoo. Idealistically, to make things easier, A and B go to different exhibits. Now C listens to a scanner(or scanner app) and counts the number of MWAGs referring to each exhibit.

I'd volunteer, but I'm more of an exotic leather sort of guy, so that might skew things.

eclipse1 by Steven Berry, on Flickr

Is that ray skin?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Honestly leather looks less "Tacticool". Tacticool draws stares...

what about kydex? say.. a hooch holster? am i being too tacticool? :dunno:

all in know for sure is that when i leave the house, it is on until i get home. wear it all day at work, at the grocery, and in the vehicle. mighty comfy.

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    You know, I'm actually surprised by this. I've never really thought about it, but I would have guessed the opposite on looking 'official.' To me, leather would look more 'civilian' (and civilized xD) and kydex would seem more 'police.' Interesting observation, though

Top Bottom