• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    Rugers are great, those have been my favorites for 40 years. But only one of the .22 pistols I've been having the most fun with lately is a Ruger, that's a .22 LCP. I love that thing, I've taken to carrying it whenever I'm mowing the grass or otherwise working outside. There are some small metal swinging targets that are fun to shoot at when I go by on the rider, and it's handy for scaring off the many stray dogs around here. Some of which threaten to scare me off!

The other is a Taurus TX-22. I've only owned one other Taurus and that one was years ago and it really soured me on the brand. But the reviews on this one were so good, and the price was right so I gave it a try. It was a great buy. The TX-22 is a full sized gun, but light due to its polymer frame and magazines, which work great BTW. It's been utterly reliable and I'm able to hit what I'm aiming at. I'm not getting rid of my Ruger MKI Target Model, but it's a heavy gun for toting around the the property. The Taurus is a great and fun gun for that.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My #2 wacked more Tangos with no ammunition running around the farm as a little boy with his Scout. I hounded Mike who owned Crackshot in Anderson for years for this old Colt.
    20220825_153443.jpg

We have four mod 41 Smiths, my sons have their Gfathers and GGfathers. Here are mine that I have owned 40+ years.
    20220825_151949.jpg
    20220825_160920.jpg

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I like my S&W 622 and 422. That and a $1 will get you a cup of coffee at some places!
    “Some places” unless you light at one of those new fangled joints that sell what now days is called coffee.

My gone now buddy Wildman hunted coon for about ten years with a 422, with a mini mag light stuck between his little finger and the grip. He made some shots that would shame Annie Oakley. He swore by CCI mini mags.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Has their been a choice made yet? I’m always interested in all things 22 and why something is chosen over other models etc.

Definitely don’t sleep on the sw22 victory. Better out of box than rugers imo
    I would appreciate any thoughts on a good .22LR Pistol to be used for target practicing. Currently I have narrowed my list down to a few: FN 502 Tactical, Ruger Mark IV, and the Smith and Wesson M&P 22. What I like about these are accuracy, magazine capacity, and pricing. What would you recommend on either a new or used purchase?

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I'm surprised that I havnt seen a Sig Hammerli Trailside suggested. I bought used 6" in great condition. Shoots just as accurate as my S&W 41 7". Would highly recommend checking one out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you are looking less expensive and polymer, I would (in order) consider; Sig P322, Taurus TX22, SW Compact, Glock 44 (which is a 22 and not a 44 - but that is another thread).
    mcapo, at the range the other day shooting .22's with my wife I was thinking that though I really like my MKII, it is really not the greatest for running some drills due to the way the mag release works.

Looking at your options above, do you think those could fit the bill for what I'm considering? I'm not interested in a jam-o-matic pistol. Though they are great for malfunction drills, they really aren't what I want as the norm, lol.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    mcapo, at the range the other day shooting .22's with my wife I was thinking that though I really like my MKII, it is really not the greatest for running some drills due to the way the mag release works.

Looking at your options above, do you think those could fit the bill for what I'm considering? I'm not interested in a jam-o-matic pistol. Though they are great for malfunction drills, they really aren't what I want as the norm, lol.
    TX 22 is your pistol for reliability.
    I've shot many 22lr semi-auto and the most reliable by far is the TX 22 imo.
    Mine shoots standard velocity as reliable as high velocity.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    TX 22 is your pistol for reliability.
    I've shot many 22lr semi-auto and the most reliable by far is the TX 22 imo.
    Mine shoots standard velocity as reliable as high velocity.
    I shot one a couple months ago, just a mag, but I liked it. My friend offered to loan it to me to run it a little longer so I may take him up on it.

I know I don't want the S&W versions that mimics my M&P's. They weren't known to be very reliable.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I shot one a couple months ago, just a mag, but I liked it. My friend offered to loan it to me to run it a little longer so I may take him up on it.

I know I don't want the S&W versions that mimics my M&P's. They weren't known to be very reliable.
    I've seen mixed reviews on Sigs new P322.
    I'm waiting on more information before buying one. I have not seen a review try standard velocity yet that IR.
    I really want it to be as reliable as the TX.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've seen mixed reviews on Sigs new P322.
    I'm waiting on more information before buying one. I have not seen a review try standard velocity yet that IR.
    I really want it to be as reliable as the TX.
    I have one. It is reliable with CCI Standard Velocity and SK Pistol Match. I've fired maybe 300 rounds so far. The slide doesn't lock back after the last round in the magazine with this ammo and I'm not likely to use high velocity in it for some time to see if it locks back. It is accurate for this type of pistol out to 25 yards. It is very light weight and the trigger is typical Sig. There is a take up until it hits a wall. It is suppressor ready and easily changed over.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    The 322 is reliable if mags loaded correctly. It is easy to mess them
    Up. The tx22 is almost impossible to mess up. Accuracy was pretty much equal on both. If you can find sig at msrp of 399 they are solid. Would not want to pay more. It is not better and possibly little worse based on mag design than tx22 and the Taurus can be had around 250

These two are heads and shoulders and then some better than any other polymer duty style 22 imo

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I may have to correct my earlier statement about the M&P22. Apparently it isn't so bad. But the size falls between my Shield and 2.0 Compact so I'm not sure it's that much of an advantage considering the TX22 is closer in size to my Compact.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I read some blub about potential issues running a red dot on the TX22. Anyone have any experience with such a set up?

Some are saying the added mass creates cycling issues.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I read some blub about potential issues running a red dot on the TX22. Anyone have any experience with such a set up?

Some are saying the added mass creates cycling issues.
    If you want a dot on the TX22 get the competition model. The dot does not move on that model. The ejection port is much larger which means less problems if you are a go fast shooter, such as Steel Challenge.

Edit:

This review addresses the optic position:

Last edited:

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I had the TX22 and while it shot nice it made me so mad I sold it off. Tried to remove the thread protector so I could run my suppressor. It was on so tight that even with a little heat I had to ruin the thread protector to get it off. Should have known better with a Taurus product but wanted to give it a chance.

I have over 30 .22 handguns. I shy away from the expensive models because they tend to be ammo picky. I have Smith, Ruger, Glock, Sig and Beretta in Semi Auto. I am a mag hoarder so I also tend to stay away from anything that I cant get mags readily for.

Top Bottom