• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HuskernIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    Bloomington
    I would appreciate any thoughts on a good .22LR Pistol to be used for target practicing. Currently I have narrowed my list down to a few: FN 502 Tactical, Ruger Mark IV, and the Smith and Wesson M&P 22. What I like about these are accuracy, magazine capacity, and pricing. What would you recommend on either a new or used purchase?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    7Nl8r6w.jpg

Ruger MK4 for the win, it has a worse trigger than the Buckmark but I don't need a screwdriver to disassemble the Ruger either. Not really a fan of the zink slide blowback guns myself

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ruger MK series is fantastic. The IV is easier to take down but don't be scared of the previous models.
    I own a MKII and will never part with it. I also own a S&W M&P 22 full size. It's not what I would consider a target pistol. Same goes for the other "just like the 9mm version" semi autos. My opinion of course.

The Buckmark and the S&W Victory or even the Model 41 will serve you well for decades too.

Since you said magazine capacity and listed the Ruger, that is 10 shots.

S&W makes a fantastic 10 shot revolver too.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Target practice infers accuracy and precision is a goal and not just hits on steel?

If so, I would look towards the Ruger MkIV series.

If price isn't an issue, the SW 41 or an offering from Volquartsen like the Scorpion.

If you are looking less expensive and polymer, I would (in order) consider; Sig P322, Taurus TX22, SW Compact, Glock 44 (which is a 22 and not a 44 - but that is another thread).

I am sure there are others (like the Buckmark) but limiting my list to what I have some experiences with.

Used or New? Would depend on the used one.

Speaking of used. The SW 422/622/2206 series can be solid performers. Not as cheap as they used to be but...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Another vote for the Mark series Rugers. I have a MKII. Great pistol.

I have a red dot on it and it's a hoot to shoot. My wife can shoot it well too. She holds the record on the plate rack against me.:xmad:

If you want to spend more, the Smith Model 41 is tough to beat.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    For semi-automatic .22 LR pistols, the Browning Buckmark is my top choice for a pistol that needs few, if any, modifications out of the box (removal of the magazine disconnect on the newer models does comes to mind).
    Ruger (any Mark will do) if you want to tinker 'til your heart is content or you run out of money (whichever comes first).

The others you list, and many more, are far more accurate that most can shoot them. However, they all more or less fall into the "plinker" category.

If it's a true semi-automatic target pistol you're after, I'd be looking to a Volquartsen Black Mamba as a starting point, and it only goes up from there. Feinwerkbau (FWB), Hammerli, Walther (GSP/SSP series), and Pardini are some of the current manufacturers of the top target pistols.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I like the Rugers. I have several MkII pistols and a Volquartsen Black Mamba (built on a Mk4 frame). I suggest the Mk4. You can also get uppers (FFL is needed to purchase online, since the upper has the serial number) in other configurations. Volquartsen regularly has sales on Ruger Mk4 barrels. I bought a couple so I could change the configuration on my Mamba. Very easy to change the uppr on the Mk4.

I never liked the polymer 22s that look like centerfire pistols. They might be ok to practice for their CF big brother, but they will not be as accurate as the Mk4 of Buckmark options.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The 41 is awesome, ive been chasing one in my budget since i first tried one.

My vote is for the ruger. Is very popular, modular, accurate, pretty much awesome at everything.... except. 10 round limitation is outdated with some of these newer non target pistols.

dlandersson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2019
    Hammond
    I would appreciate any thoughts on a good .22LR Pistol to be used for target practicing. Currently I have narrowed my list down to a few: FN 502 Tactical, Ruger Mark IV, and the Smith and Wesson M&P 22. What I like about these are accuracy, magazine capacity, and pricing. What would you recommend on either a new or used purchase?
    Along with range practice, there's this
    Amazon product ASIN B09GYMNQ7N

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    A Ruger Mark IV is a great gun, as has been stated you can get additional uppers on clearance from Volquartsen.

they also have extra bolts

I have one lower and an upper with sights and another with red dot.

These are great guns. Get the 22/45 model if you like the 1911 style grip angle.

If you are looking to use the .22 pistol as practice for a gun in a larger caliber get one that closely mimics the controsl of the gum you want to emulate.

Top Bottom