• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had the TX22 and while it shot nice it made me so mad I sold it off. Tried to remove the thread protector so I could run my suppressor. It was on so tight that even with a little heat I had to ruin the thread protector to get it off. Should have known better with a Taurus product but wanted to give it a chance.

I have over 30 .22 handguns. I shy away from the expensive models because they tend to be ammo picky. I have Smith, Ruger, Glock, Sig and Beretta in Semi Auto. I am a mag hoarder so I also tend to stay away from anything that I cant get mags readily for.
    Mine comes on and off easy enough. I just put it in a vise and it comes off. I put a small amount of grease on the threads and screw it back on.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I would appreciate any thoughts on a good .22LR Pistol to be used for target practicing. Currently I have narrowed my list down to a few: FN 502 Tactical, Ruger Mark IV, and the Smith and Wesson M&P 22. What I like about these are accuracy, magazine capacity, and pricing. What would you recommend on either a new or used purchase?
    I personally got a Walther P22 but the mag cap is a bit low. You may be interested in the Keltec 22 pistol. Huge mag cap!

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    doddg currently is at range with my Keltec cp33 and it seems to be shootinf well based on a couple texts. Will get full report on here on the 22 range fun report post. Has been good for me at range. 33 rounds and suppressor ready is a win in my book

DA634E2F-2076-4A62-8125-FBC72437477F.jpeg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you want a dot on the TX22 get the competition model. The dot does not move on that model. The ejection port is much larger which means less problems if you are a go fast shooter, such as Steel Challenge.

Edit:

This review addresses the optic position:

Watched the Lucky Gunner video at lunch today.

I'm in a little bit of a conundrum. I would like something close to my Compact, so the standard TX22 with a red dot would mimic it better. But I like the idea of the Competition model purely from a performance standpoint. I'm thinking Taurus did that for a reason and part of the reason could be decreased reliability with slide mounted optics.

But then again, I'm mostly buying it to have a manual of arms closer to my Compact than my Ruger MKII. Plus, my wife will like the mag and slide release operations better than the Ruger.

I'm rather impatient with malfunctioning firearms..

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Mine comes on and off easy enough. I just put it in a vise and it comes off. I put a small amount of grease on the threads and screw it back on.
    I used the wrench that is made for it, bought a standard wrench to fit it and still couldn't get it off. Had to apply some heat and grab with some pliers before it finally came loose. Nice gun just someone added loctite under the thread protector

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I shot the S&W 41 for close to 60 years but it got too muzzle heavy for me. The Accurate Arms target for the 1911 is just as accurate for me. I used the iron sights for about a year and then put the optics setup on it. If you want to shoot std. velocity ammunition you would need their reduced power recoil spring.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Watched the Lucky Gunner video at lunch today.

I'm in a little bit of a conundrum. I would like something close to my Compact, so the standard TX22 with a red dot would mimic it better. But I like the idea of the Competition model purely from a performance standpoint. I'm thinking Taurus did that for a reason and part of the reason could be decreased reliability with slide mounted optics.

But then again, I'm mostly buying it to have a manual of arms closer to my Compact than my Ruger MKII. Plus, my wife will like the mag and slide release operations better than the Ruger.

I'm rather impatient with malfunctioning firearms..
    My TX-22 is my favorite handgun to shoot. I have Sigs, Glocks, M&Ps (including an M&P Compact 22, and an AA Glock conversion kit). Besides my PDW with a dot mounted, the TX-22 is just my favorite. It has eaten everything I've put through it. Mags are cheap, and the gun just handles and shoots well. It's a great time on steel plates. It mimics my striker fired carry guns, and so far for me it just runs.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You can make a major improvement to the Buckmark trigger be flipping the sear spring over.
    ahhh, the Heggis Flip ... yeah, that doesn't work quite as well as advertised and is a PITA to install.

The Tandomkross gearbox is a much easier way to accomplish the same thing with super easy installation ... https://www.tandemkross.com/GearBox-for-Browning®-Buck-Mark_p_540.html

But for any future Buck Marks that become part of my stable, simply shooting them makes the (already good factory) trigger even better.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My TX-22 is my favorite handgun to shoot. I have Sigs, Glocks, M&Ps (including an M&P Compact 22, and an AA Glock conversion kit). Besides my PDW with a dot mounted, the TX-22 is just my favorite. It has eaten everything I've put through it. Mags are cheap, and the gun just handles and shoots well. It's a great time on steel plates. It mimics my striker fired carry guns, and so far for me it just runs.
    How does it compare to the Smith? My primary pistols are M&P's and I'm wondering if I should stick with that brand/style.

I shot a friends TX22 today and really liked it. I shot 3 different brands of ammo through it today and they all worked well. It feels good in the hand so no complaints.

Just curious if I should look at the M&P22 Compact. I don't know anyone that has one to shoot so I might have to check to see if SPB or whatever they are called now has one I could rent.

Then again, if I can't run a RDS on the M&P, then my choice will be the TX22.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    How does it compare to the Smith? My primary pistols are M&P's and I'm wondering if I should stick with that brand/style.

I shot a friends TX22 today and really liked it. I shot 3 different brands of ammo through it today and they all worked well. It feels good in the hand so no complaints.

Just curious if I should look at the M&P22 Compact. I don't know anyone that has one to shoot so I might have to check to see if SPB or whatever they are called now has one I could rent.

Then again, if I can't run a RDS on the M&P, then my choice will be the TX22.
    The TX22 has been more reliable for me than the M&P compact 22. Not that I'd say the M&P has been unreliable.
    The M&P feels closer to a shield/single stack grip (because it is single stack) though it's a bit bigger than a Shield.

The TX22 more in line with a double stack compact such as the Glock 19/M&P 2.0/Sig P320 compact.

It's also not a huge deal but the TX22 is a true striker fired gun and breaks down more like standard striker fired gun (barrel, recoil spring, slide) while the M&P is a fixed barrel, hammer fired gun.
    The M&P also has a mag safety.

I'm guessing I shoot the TX better because it's a larger gun, filling my hand more, etc.

Deciding honestly if I want to put my M&P compact 22 on the block, and just pick up a second TX22. I'd also like to check out a Sig P322.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The TX22 has been more reliable for me than the M&P compact 22. Not that I'd say the M&P has been unreliable.
    The M&P feels closer to a shield/single stack grip (because it is single stack) though it's a bit bigger than a Shield.

The TX22 more in line with a double stack compact such as the Glock 19/M&P 2.0/Sig P320 compact.

It's also not a huge deal but the TX22 is a true striker fired gun and breaks down more like standard striker fired gun (barrel, recoil spring, slide) while the M&P is a fixed barrel, hammer fired gun.
    The M&P also has a mag safety.

I'm guessing I shoot the TX better because it's a larger gun, filling my hand more, etc.

Deciding honestly if I want to put my M&P compact 22 on the block, and just pick up a second TX22. I'd also like to check out a Sig P322.
    Thanks for the feedback. I think if I get the TX22, I will get a competition model since I want a red dot on it.

I was thinking that the M&P might be a little on the small side.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I think if I get the TX22, I will get a competition model since I want a red dot on it.

Makes sense. I don't have the competition model TX22, so will defer to others for pros/cons on it, and any differences between it and the standard model comparison.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I've had 3-4 of the M&P Compact 22 & they are a good average-shooting gun.
    The TX is better though, depending on usage, of course.

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I’ve read most of the post and didn’t see that the ruger sr22 didn’t show up.. I have one and have had zero issues. Bought one for my son and same results. Don’t have more than 250 rounds thru it yet but it is fine in her hands.. accurate and dependable

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ruger MK series is fantastic. The IV is easier to take down but don't be scared of the previous models.
    I own a MKII and will never part with it. I also own a S&W M&P 22 full size. It's not what I would consider a target pistol. Same goes for the other "just like the 9mm version" semi autos. My opinion of course.

The Buckmark and the S&W Victory or even the Model 41 will serve you well for decades too.

Since you said magazine capacity and listed the Ruger, that is 10 shots.

S&W makes a fantastic 10 shot revolver too.
    I seen some of our Special Forces had Ruger Mk ? They had a suppressor on it and an rds.
    My understanding was they use it to shoot out lights and at times take out enemies in certain situations with it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I used the wrench that is made for it, bought a standard wrench to fit it and still couldn't get it off. Had to apply some heat and grab with some pliers before it finally came loose. Nice gun just someone added loctite under the thread protector
    I've heard of people doing that on them and on barrel nut threads. I'm just the opposite when I put a barrel on it gets grease, as does my muzzle devices.

Top Bottom