• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Just dropped a flank steak in the Traeger. I'm going to see if a few hours of smoke and time will improve the experience.

Anyone smoked a flank steak before?
    I like to smoke flank steak really low like 200 degrees until the meat hits about 110, then sear it in a pan of butter on both sides until med rare.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    The point is tough because you cut with the grain. Cube it, throw it on the smoker or even grill for a bit, lightly sauce it, and thank me later
    It’s actually the flat that was tough. I realized that the point got sliced with the grain. I must have gotten it turned on accident, but it came out tender enough not to matter.

The flat still came out tender, just not perfect.

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    What wifi thermometer are you guys running?

I've looked at the Meater+, thermowork signals, and the inkbirds but cannot make up my mind

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    What wifi thermometer are you guys running?

I've looked at the Meater+, thermowork signals, and the inkbirds but cannot make up my mind
    I have the Inkbird IBT-24S and it works pretty well. Bluetooth is only good for about 30ft and I wish it went further but overall pretty happy with it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    How long are you guys smoking flat brisket for at what temperature?

I was going to try for 225⁰
    I cook to internal temperature, not time. There are rules of thumb, but they're not perfect - and can easily be the difference between mediocre brisket and great brisket. You really can't predict the length of the stall with any precision.

Temperature probes are relatively inexpensive. Really nice, wifi-connected probes that provide real-time, remote monitoring and trending of a cook can be had for more - and worth every penny, depending on how much you use them.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    First smoke in the weber it smells amazing! Question though, what temp do you guys pull the brisket off and wrap it? What temp do you guys cook it too?

View attachment 282775
    For a brisket flat, usually around 202F? But it could be anywhere from the 190s to 205F (or even a bit higher, depending on preference). The trick is learning to finish to "probe tender" (i.e. you can insert/remove a temp probe with minimal resistance): an indication that all of the connective tissues have broken down/gelatinized, ensuring full tenderness, without overcooking. So, it's a good idea to start checking for probe tenderness in the mid/upper-190s.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Point upto 132. May need to move the probe to check on flat
    If you're going to cook full packers very often, getting multiple probes (or a multi-probe unit) is a good investment. For me, the trickiest part of the full packer is hitting the sweet spot of getting the point fully done without overcooking the flat. Monitoring internal temperature of both, simultaneously, is a huge help.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    A coworker just today told me to smoke a pork shoulder/butt with the cap facing down...it retains all the yummy fat he said.
    I put a drip pan under the pork butts, and add a can or so of dry cider. It makes for a slightly moist smoke and adds great flavor. I pull the butt in the drip pan after the rest, thereby retaining all of the rendered fat drippings and the remnants of the cider. I find that there is no need for any kind of sauce afterward to keep the pulled pork moist (though some still add sauce for flavor; to each, his own).

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I stumbled across a skirt steak in the freezer and decided I'd give Alton Brown's method of cooking directly on the coals a try. It turned out ok, the flavor was very good and I'd not shy away from doing this again but it turned out a bit more rare than I like and there was enough fat the make it too chewy for me. I ended up giving mine an additional quick cast iron sear before I ate it but my wife and daughter liked it as it turned out.
    nmoLwBJh.jpg

FT2qfIyh.jpg

XIruXwAh.jpg

I also tried Sam the Cooking Guy's little puck potatoes. They were also very good, the texture was fantastic but he used a non stick skillet and I went with cast iron. My butter browned more than I wanted it to which skewed the flavor a bit away from where I wanted it but I'll be doing it again for sure.

CHkEnlfh.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I stumbled across a skirt steak in the freezer and decided I'd give Alton Brown's method of cooking directly on the coals a try. It turned out ok, the flavor was very good and I'd not shy away from doing this again but it turned out a bit more rare than I like and there was enough fat the make it too chewy for me. I ended up giving mine an additional quick cast iron sear before I ate it but my wife and daughter liked it as it turned out.
    nmoLwBJh.jpg

FT2qfIyh.jpg

XIruXwAh.jpg

I also tried Sam the Cooking Guy's little puck potatoes. They were also very good, the texture was fantastic but he used a non stick skillet and I went with cast iron. My butter browned more than I wanted it to which skewed the flavor a bit away from where I wanted it but I'll be doing it again for sure.

CHkEnlfh.jpg
    I have never seen it straight on the coals like that. Interesting

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom