• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Right to food. Provides that an individual has the right to: (1) save and exchange seeds to grow food; and (2) grow, raise, produce, harvest, and consume the food that the individual chooses for the individual's own nourishment, sustenance, bodily health, and well-being

There has to be a clever quip for why my ability to eat what I want needs to be codified.
    At the moment I'm just disgusted.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    More student loan pandering:

Some good things from James Tomes:

I thought this was already the case?

Think Indiana is ready to join its neighbor states?

J.D. Ford wants to criminalize victims:

...and wants to engage in a different kind of pandering. (A better solution would be to eliminate property taxes for homesteads/primary residences.)

This one is interesting. HOAs (and seed patent owners) will not be pleased:

What problem/issue is this one attempting to resolve?
    Thanks for the synopsis Chip. So far? This is a bit of a snooze. Senator Tomes' bill concerning Fentanyl may get me there for the hearing.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Rural Broadband has been given lip service for a long, long time. The Pandemic highlighted the problems for rural residents who are often limited to one isp supplying only dsl, notorious for being slow with frequent rebuffering or interruption of signal.
    It is overdue for the state to take action to resolve this issue.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Rural Broadband has been given lip service for a long, long time. The Pandemic highlighted the problems for rural residents who are often limited to one isp supplying only dsl, notorious for being slow with frequent rebuffering or interruption of signal.
    I wonder what the difference is? Orange County REMC started rolling out fiber a little before the covid hit. We got ours in the fall of 2020. I’ve lost track on their progress since we got ours but they had stated they were going to install it over their entire service area. It’s puzzling that a little podunk REMC in Orange County can get this done and many others can’t.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville

I live rural and have struggled with poor DSL service and crummy satellite speed for a couple decades. TMobile, with no prodding from the government, rolled out 5g home internet at half the price of DSL. It's a world better. Other cellular companies are expanding their home offerings competing with Tmobile for better speed at a lower price. Soon we'll have high speed satellite service (if not from Starlink then someone else).

We are an internet intensive household but I have no doubt the private providers will offer better products at a lower cost on their own then they ever would under a government mandate.

I respectfully disagree. Government intervention would only slow the process and produce a more expensive service with lower quality. Government isn't the solution. It is the problem.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just saw Jim's (Jim Lucas, State Rep District 69) FB page, HB 1177 is firearms training for teachers. Probably won't see this on the IGA site until Monday.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Just saw Jim's (Jim Lucas, State Rep District 69) FB page, HB 1177 is firearms training for teachers. Probably won't see this on the IGA site until Monday.
    He posted the cover page on FB. I want to read it to find out (though I suspect I know the answer) whether home school teachers can make use of this training, if the bill passes.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    He posted the cover page on FB. I want to read it to find out (though I suspect I know the answer) whether home school teachers can make use of this training, if the bill passes.
    Interesting take, Chip. That is probably "a bridge too far", but you can always ask. On a "space-available" basis maybe? The worst thing that will happen, you get told "no".

I'm dusting off my notes from the last time I testified for this. I think that's when Coach testified.

BOLO for a crony capitalism version of this bill.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Interesting take, Chip. That is probably "a bridge too far", but you can always ask. On a "space-available" basis maybe? The worst thing that will happen, you get told "no".

I'm dusting off my notes from the last time I testified for this. I think that's when Coach testified.

BOLO for a crony capitalism version of this bill.
    Oh, I think it's moot because I doubt the bill has any chance of passage. Agreed on the crony capitalism aspect. IIRC, that killed it last time, too: cui bono as the "approved" course trainers.

But, I also think that it is a valid question wrt who constitutes a "teacher". Pre-pandemic, over 5% of Indiana K-12 students were homeschooled. During the pandemic, that number rose to over 10%. All of those homeschool parents pay property taxes (ask me how I know), and thus fund the training program in question. Why should we be excluded?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Oh, I think it's moot because I doubt the bill has any chance of passage. Agreed on the crony capitalism aspect. IIRC, that killed it last time, too: cui bono as the "approved" course trainers.

But, I also think that it is a valid question wrt who constitutes a "teacher". Pre-pandemic, over 5% of Indiana K-12 students were homeschooled. During the pandemic, that number rose to over 10%. All of those homeschool parents pay property taxes (ask me how I know), and thus fund the training program in question. Why should we be excluded?
    At that point you need to just move to @Kirk Freeman 's plan for training.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A few more bills up on the Senate side. I haven’t read the bill, only looked at the synopsis of senate bill 149 privately made firearms. It’s from Lonnie Randolph, so I’m sure it screams “I DON’T KNOW DUCK **** FROM APPLE BUTTER ABOUT FIREARMS!!”

Top Bottom