• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well INGO, we got Constitutional Carry passed in the Great State of Indiana (in no small part from the action of INGOers) and on 1 July 2022, Indiana became the 24th State to honor the intent of the 2nd Amendment.

2023:

We are STILL trying to get the "pointing a firearm DOES NOT equal deadly force despite what two people who got C's in law school said in 2002 in Nantz v State" bill a hearing in the house. This bill has sailed through the Senate multiple times. It was like 4 pages long, easy read. Wendy McNamara (District 76, alleged "R", chair of the House Courts and Criminal Codes Committee) seems to think in severe southwest Indiana she is safe.

How about tax credit for training and storage devices? Jim Lucas introduced this Bill before, it's coming back.

Also returning, firearms training for teachers. Jim had this bill up a couple years ago. There was a competing "crony capitalism" bill supported by a couple crony capitalists. A couple years ago I testified in opposition to crony capitalism.

It'll be January before we know it.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I like all of them.

I'm a big proponent of fixing the "pointing a firearm" issue and worked with my Rep. Ms. Shaibley to get it moved through the House committee. Just didn't get done, and that is unfortunate.

I will have a new Rep next year, Ms. Cash, and my intent is to hit her up early on just this subject.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    @KellyinAvon if this is in the wrong place, please move it; what about removing the state-level prohibition on k-12 school carry? Too much opposition from small minds? Or is this do-able? Alternatively, what about “if you ban carry, you are responsible financially for the consequences of enforcing that policy”?

You guys have been more active in things these last few years, than I have, so I defer to the INGO brain trust on the wisdom of pursuing them as goals, but reserve the right to revisit as time and situations change.

Blessings,
    Bill

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    @KellyinAvon if this is in the wrong place, please move it; what about removing the state-level prohibition on k-12 school carry? Too much opposition from small minds? Or is this do-able? Alternatively, what about “if you ban carry, you are responsible financially for the consequences of enforcing that policy”?

You guys have been more active in things these last few years, than I have, so I defer to the INGO brain trust on the wisdom of pursuing them as goals, but reserve the right to revisit as time and situations change.

Blessings,
    Bill
    From what I've observed what you've described is a bridge too far. I know Jim Lucas will be bringing back the "Provide Teachers/Staff Training to Carry Firearms" which will face a lot of opposition from the usual suspects and the crony capitalists.

It's always good to have you in this part of INGO, Bill. Following your lead is what lead me to where I am. It'll be January before we know it, this stuff does get tiresome... we can't ever give up.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We could barely get enough republicans to pass constitutional carry. Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth by those same republicans if we seriously considered removing the gun free school zone stuff?
    Roger that, it’ll probably give them the vapors.

Hopefully since it’s a budget year the tax credit bill can get some traction.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Roger that, it’ll probably give them the vapors.

Hopefully since it’s a budget year the tax credit bill can get some traction.
    I think that might be doable. I'd like to see the point a firearm thing fixed. Of the ideas I've heard so far, that would be my priority of "doable" changes.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think that might be doable. I'd like to see the point a firearm thing fixed. Of the ideas I've heard so far, that would be my priority of "doable" changes.
    The pointing a firearm thing (AKA Nantz 2002) is such an easy fix, the bill was like 4 1/2 pages long. It is past the Senate multiple times… Can’t get a hearing in the house.

Between that one, teacher training, and tax credit I’d like to think we can get something through this session.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The pointing a firearm thing (AKA Nantz 2002) is such an easy fix, the bill was like 4 1/2 pages long. It is past the Senate multiple times… Can’t get a hearing in the house.

Between that one, teacher training, and tax credit I’d like to think we can get something through this session.
    I'd hope with each session we can keep peeling back at least one layer of infringement. I'm not opposed to the teacher training or the tax credits but I don't see those as infringements to me. The guns in school thing is so sacrosanct I'm not sure there'd ever be enough motivation on either side to broach even allowing teachers carry.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    These are all substantive things and therefore a priority but part of me is still rooting for Indiana to pass the Firearms Freedom Act.
    My personal peeve is the way the commerce clause is interpreted by the supreme court.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    These are all substantive things and therefore a priority but part of me is still rooting for Indiana to pass the Firearms Freedom Act.
    My personal peeve is the way the commerce clause is interpreted by the supreme court.
    Indiana doesn’t have too many of those kinds of republicans holding office.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    One thing I would like to see addressed in this Congress would be bringing IAC into accordance with IC.

Just like the Supreme Court ruling about the EPA not being elected officials and not allowed to make laws that affect the people. Bureaucrats should not be allowed to make laws that affect the people here in Indiana.

State agencies should be allowed to make rules that their people are not allowed to carry on premises, but they should not be allowed to make "laws" that forbid citizens from carrying on their premises.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Indiana Government Center parking garages should not be "gun free" zones.

25 IAC 7-2-1 Definitions
    Sec. 1. The following definitions apply throughout this article:
    (4) "Indiana government center campus" means the following:
    (A) The state capitol building.
    (B) The Indiana government center-north.
    (C) The Indiana government center-south.
    (D) The state library.
    (E) The Washington Street garage.
    (F) The Senate Avenue garage.
    (G) The Indiana historical society building and parking lot.
    (H) The land adjacent to these buildings that is owned and controlled by the state.
    20181010-IR-025180329RFA)

E through H should be eliminated, at the minimum. (Acutually they should all go, but I know the "rules for thee but not me" crowd in the Legislature would never go for that)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I'll post this here. If there is more suitable place please move it.

This will let you register, and or check if you are registered and the status of it. I just checked to make sure my address, and status was active. I'm good to go.

Top Bottom