• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As a GM recently disabled retiree, I am liking this over the smelly garbage of all electric like M. Barra and henchmen are pushing. Heck, they can't even get 2 or 3 hybrids going like everybody else to hedge their bets. Let's just put all our eggs in 1 basket as this is what Biden wants.

The only thing that sucks in the new line-up all use premium gas whether it is 2.7, 5.3 or 6.2. Higher priced gas I can do without. Thanks Uncle Joe, you've screwed over your country once again and know that nobody ain't going to do Jack Crap to you except your buddies in China when they tell the world they bought you and your kids. Best money Xi Jinpingpong spent.
    GM, like most other companies anymore, are all in on the ESG bandwagon. Migrating to an all EV future is part of it. ESG wokeness is permeating the company.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I’m not necessarily anti-EV. But I don’t think the market is ready to embrace them for all their driving needs. If I were a car company CEO, one not lining up to drink my cup of ESG Koolaid, I’d be developing EVs but I’d be positioning myself as what quite possibly could be the last source for ICE powertrains ifwhen the bloom falls off the rose.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    GM, like most other companies anymore, are all in on the ESG bandwagon. Migrating to an all EV future is part of it. ESG wokeness is permeating the company.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I’m not necessarily anti-EV. But I don’t think the market is ready to embrace them for all their driving needs. If I were a car company CEO, one not lining up to drink my cup of ESG Koolaid, I’d be developing EVs but I’d be positioning myself as what quite possibly could be the last source for ICE powertrains ifwhen the bloom falls off the rose.

I think Ford's walking the tightrope about as perfectly as anyone can without a crystal ball.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The 5.3L went to premium gas? 6.2L will run on it, but why buy a 6.2L to cheap out on fuel.
    My 5.3L runs just fine on regular. I get 21mpg on the highway and around 18 in mixed driving. I think that’s not bad for a truck with a V8.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The 5.3L went to premium gas? 6.2L will run on it, but why buy a 6.2L to cheap out on fuel.
    Yeah, I just looked at them at my local dealer and made me happy my 2012 5.3 still runs on regular pump gas or E85. I couldn't afford a new one anyhoo but couldn't pass up being a looky-loo or is it lookie Lou? Coochie-coo?? Ah phooey!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    L83/L84 5.3 requires 87 octane. I run 93 while towing my travel trailer - less KR gives me a warm fuzzy pulling a grade with 7k behind me - but absolutely NO BENEFIT in an empty stock truck in terms of butt dyno or fuel economy.

L86/L87 requires premium fuel, at least 91 octane. Running regular won't "hurt" it but it'll be pulling so much timing you won't get much gain from the 5.3.

The 2.7L L3B is rated for 87 octane as well...but like all boosted engines it'll probably do better with premium.

If Mary Barra's GM didn't have the attitude of "you bought the vehicle, but the ECM still belongs to us" and one could tune with HP Tuners, premium and especially E would make this engine a monster.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If Mary Barra's GM didn't have the attitude of "you bought the vehicle, but the ECM still belongs to us" and one could tune with HP Tuners, premium and especially E would make this engine a monster.

Ick. Another reason to prefer Ford, then. They even have factory approved 'aftermarket' tunes for premium only. $2k for an upgraded intercooler, tuner, and tune, and apparently the ecoboosts make significant gains safely.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    All Ecoboosts can get significant gains from tuning, especially if running E85.

GM engines could...but Global B ECM architecture on newer vehicles is locked down tight. C8, Blackwings, pickups, etc etc...

Ford definitely has a better philosophy about owner powertrain modifications than GM does these days.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have some optimal tuning parts on my truck. Lots of Jet tuning products, Volant cold air intake with 1 million mile high flow filter, high flow cat, Gale Banks exhaust, etc. For me, it does just fine getting my fat arse from A to B.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

GM engines could...but Global B ECM architecture on newer vehicles is locked down tight. C8, Blackwings, pickups, etc etc...

Ford definitely has a better philosophy about owner powertrain modifications than GM does these days.

I know there are unlocked PCMs available for the certain years/models of Dodge/Ram/Jeep products that require them Nobody crack the code or threat of lawsuit or what keeps the same from being offered for GM? Does the Camaro have a locked ECM as well, because I see people tuning those still.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All I see is a lot of stuff that’s expensive to replace. $46K for a current year ZR2 with no options.
    Those shocks would be crazy spendy yo replace. I see the advantages of them and the selections as to drive wheels etc and all of that nuts expensive as well. I did not deal be into warr on all that high end gear.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Those shocks would be crazy spendy yo replace. I see the advantages of them and the selections as to drive wheels etc and all of that nuts expensive as well. I did not deal be into warr on all that high end gear.

Are they not rebuildable like Fox and King shocks?

Just like hot rods, gotta pay to play.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think Ford's walking the tightrope about as perfectly as anyone can without a crystal ball.
    I don’t follow Ford as much as I do GM. But there’s this story that was in the news recently.

Coupled with their news about the huge site they’re building in Tennessee would seem to indicate they’re all in on the EV stuff. Them being still mostly privately owned might make some difference. We’ll see.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I know there are unlocked PCMs available for the certain years/models of Dodge/Ram/Jeep products that require them Nobody crack the code or threat of lawsuit or what keeps the same from being offered for GM? Does the Camaro have a locked ECM as well, because I see people tuning those still.
    The 6th Gen Camaro can be tuned, as can the 7th gen Corvette.
    14-18 Silverado 1500s can be tuned, 19+ took a while but I think the 5.3/6.2s can now be tuned with a load of HP Tuners credits. I believe the 2.7L is still locked.

My 2018 ATS-V is tuneable (with 4 credits for the ECM and 4 for the TCM), a 2021 CT4-V Blackwing is not.

Meanwhile 5 Star is already tuning the 2022 Bronco and F150...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Being in the industry I can say with confidence and knowledge that the huge profits the OEM's are pulling in right now are all going into EV development.

They are extending the current ICE models trying not to retool. I have many programs that were supposed to end production but instead are getting extended another couple years. This saves them money on retooling a vehicle just to make a slight update.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I really want GM to make a vehicle I like enough to buy. At the moment I'm looking at the new Ford Bronco. This Colorado looks fun but I don't like the sharp angles and knife edge design. I know it's trendy but not pleasing to me.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

These are all changes in the last year or two. At least one company has worked it out for the C8. I suspect the others will come eventually.

If there is enough demand for something it will usually happen in time. Don't know if that means that it will come to HP Tuners or if it will be kept under wraps so the initial R&D can be recovered or not. Given the way car manufacturers approach cyber security they may well prevent you from simply plugging into the OBD port and tuning, but I suspect they haven't considered that people could pull the ECU and open it up to start poking at it. Granted that will significantly raise the bar for anyone wanting to tune.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Trifecta has claimed to defeat Global B for both the Blackwings and C8 (which is a much bigger market than the Caddys).
    IF TRUE that'd be a total gamechanger...but their initial videos (at least for the 4-V Blackwing) showed practically zero gains over stock tune, which is odd because twin turbos can get turned up pretty easily, and there are rumors it isn't a true defeat-and-tune of the ECM but a different type of piggyback like what Tapout has for the 4VBW.

Guess we'll see.

No matter how you cut it, GM's attitude toward ECM tuning flat out sucks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I really want GM to make a vehicle I like enough to buy. At the moment I'm looking at the new Ford Bronco. This Colorado looks fun but I don't like the sharp angles and knife edge design. I know it's trendy but not pleasing to me.

I like the Bronco as well, but availability is holding them back. Either pay stupidly high markups or wait for an indeterminate amount of time for an order to come in. Hopefully that log jam is breaking up.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don’t follow Ford as much as I do GM. But there’s this story that was in the news recently.

Coupled with their news about the huge site they’re building in Tennessee would seem to indicate they’re all in on the EV stuff. Them being still mostly privately owned might make some difference. We’ll see.

All of those articles about layoffs stem from one article by Bloomberg and everyone else, except Ford, parroting it. Ford brass has said there will be people let go, as they have to many given current operations, but "no mass layoffs like in the past" and refusal to comment further or on Bloomberg's "speculation" as they refer to it. They are also hiring hourly workers and bringing temps on full time, sounds more like they are top heavy in the white collar jobs. Ford just raised their dividend, for what it's worth.

Ford is still investing in ICE development and EV development, although biased toward the second for the first time this year. Per Ford, they expect 40% of their global fleet to be EV by 2030, so while definitely pursuing the EV market I don't think I'd characterize it as "all in" as much as "pursuing both".

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like the Bronco as well, but availability is holding them back. Either pay stupidly high markups or wait for an indeterminate amount of time for an order to come in. Hopefully that log jam is breaking up.
    There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it's a ways off. The OE's are getting pressure to stop with the high markups. Not sure how effective it will be, but they are trying.

Chips are loosening up but we still have other supply chain issues and the labor shortage is still a problem. We have customers that are increasing volumes with us in anticipation of the OE's opening the floodgates and demanding around the clock supply of parts to their factories.

I'd guesstimate we are a year away from any kind of normalcy and even then the OE's (specifically Ford) have indicated they are not interested in going back to the previous business model of loading up dealerships with inventory and then transferring vehicles as needed. They like the idea of slim inventories and having the consumer order and wait.

Top Bottom