• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Im intruded by the Trail Boss package. I have a Gladiator now and would like a few more creature comfort’s but really have no need or want for a full size truck anymore. We will see what they actually look like in person and what stupid prices they put on them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Im intruded by the Trail Boss package. I have a Gladiator now and would like a few more creature comfort’s but really have no need or want for a full size truck anymore. We will see what they actually look like in person and what stupid prices they put on them.

I drove a couple of Gladiators. The Mojave was probably my favorite, if it had more power it would have been a strong contender for me. Trim to comparable trim, the Colorado tends to be the cheaper of the two. If Jeep put the new Hurricane in the Gladiator, that would be an interesting package.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I watched a couple of videos about the new Colorado. Honestly, I like the engine strategy. I haven't heard a lot negative about the 2.7 in the Silverado and Cadillacs it is used in. Looks good. If I was into hard-core off-roading (as hard core as a stock truck can do, anyway), it would be worth a look. I think the 2.7 will probably be much more durable than the 3.6.

I took a serious look at the present gen Colorado with the diesel, but I just have to many long legged family members.
    I don’t like the limited options, but I have to say I don’t hate the 2.7.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I drove a couple of Gladiators. The Mojave was probably my favorite, if it had more power it would have been a strong contender for me. Trim to comparable trim, the Colorado tends to be the cheaper of the two. If Jeep put the new Hurricane in the Gladiator, that would be an interesting package.
    Mojave is definitely the best IMO but that being said I’m not paying $60k for any truck. I have enjoyed my Gladiator but I don't LOVE it like most Jeep people. Not sure what I will buy next but if prices stay stupid I will keep the Gladiator.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Mojave is definitely the best IMO but that being said I’m not paying $60k for any truck. I have enjoyed my Gladiator but I don't LOVE it like most Jeep people. Not sure what I will buy next but if prices stay stupid I will keep the Gladiator.
    If the supply chains don’t straighten out and the lots get full again, trucks will go for a premium—new or used.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Also not many people on the forums think the 8sp tranny is worth a crap, apparently it's been very problematic.
    The new truck has a new redesigned HD 8 speed auto. Most of the problems with the old 8 speed had been addressed over the years but the internet has kept them alive.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don’t dispute that the trucks you’ve listed exist. Finding one in the marketplace is a different story, at least around my area. For now I’ll keep driving my 1986 F250 bullnose, but I’ll keep looking for those models. Thank you.

Dealer will order one for you. Plenty of Ford dealers doing 3% off invoice, Ram dealers doing 5-6% off invoice. I don't keep up with Chevy enough to know what the best deals are at the moment. They don't sit on the lot because the number of non-fleet new buyers is 0 with a little rounding.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    C'mon GM make the 3.0 an option.

The 2.7 is not an ideal truck engine, especially for a fullsize.

The 3.0 diesel? It's an inline six and is a fraction of an inch from being 3' long. I'd be surprised if there's room to fit it in a Colorado's engine bay but I've been surprised before.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The 3.0 diesel? It's an inline six and is a fraction of an inch from being 3' long. I'd be surprised if there's room to fit it in a Colorado's engine bay but I've been surprised before.
    There are people already doing the swap. Heck the 5.3/4.8 would be a good option

The issue is the 2.7 being the only option. It's not going to have any upsides to anyone doing more than driving around town. Granted there is a market for that. There is also a market for people that need a useable truck that isn't one of the behemoths that the full-sized have grown into.

Needs a different option for people that will actually use it, but GM is more interested in forcing an upsell on you to get it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Really nice looking trucks, although the idea of taking them off road through the brush makes me cringe.

There are several options, a couple of which are cheap and DIY friendly, to keep it nice during the occasional off road foray.

Amazon product ASIN B072B9KRGS
    Will stop the brush pinstriping but can't get too wet or it'll peel. Which is what it's supposed to do, put it on for a track day or offroad event then hose it off. Kind of a temporary vinyl wrap.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There are people already doing the swap. Heck the 5.3/4.8 would be a good option

The issue is the 2.7 being the only option. It's not going to have any upsides to anyone doing more than driving around town. Granted there is a market for that. There is also a market for people that need a useable truck that isn't one of the behemoths that the full-sized have grown into.

Needs a different option for people that will actually use it, but GM is more interested in forcing an upsell on you to get it.

Granted, I haven't driven one but I fail to see how 310hp/430ft-lbs isn't a useful amount of power in a midsize truck and while backed by an 8 speed. I did a lot of work with much less power through a 3 speed auto or 4 speed stick. Other than the 318 in the Dakota for awhile, has OEM put a V8 in their midsize/compact truck ever?

Agree on truck size. As a fun fact, today's "midsize" Ranger has almost the exact same foot print as a 1970's full size Ford F-series. How that space is used is obviously different, but the overall dimesions are remarkably same-same.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Granted, I haven't driven one but I fail to see how 310hp/430ft-lbs isn't a useful amount of power in a midsize truck and while backed by an 8 speed. I did a lot of work with much less power through a 3 speed auto or 4 speed stick. Other than the 318 in the Dakota for awhile, has OEM put a V8 in their midsize/compact truck ever?

Agree on truck size. As a fun fact, today's "midsize" Ranger has almost the exact same foot print as a 1970's full size Ford F-series. How that space is used is obviously different, but the overall dimesions are remarkably same-same.
    Oh it's plenty of power. The problem is how that power is derived. We already know how turbo engines behave.

If I made a prediction about MPG's I would say basically identical ratings to the 5.3. 1-2 increase in city. Same on highway.

In real world usage that may be true under some conditions. Put it in the hills it will be less mileage than the 5.3. Put a load behind it of much weight or wind resistance and it will be a huge impact, I wouldn't be surprised to see single digits.

So the question really is, what is the benefit of running an engine that is at 70-80% of it's capability over running an engine that is 40% of it's capability.

Edit: yes the 5.3 Colorado is a thing and it's super sought after

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Oh it's plenty of power. The problem is how that power is derived. We already know how turbo engines behave.

If I made a prediction about MPG's I would say basically identical ratings to the 5.3. 1-2 increase in city. Same on highway.

In real world usage that may be true under some conditions. Put it in the hills it will be less mileage than the 5.3.Put a load behind it of much weight or wind resistance and it will be a huge impact, I wouldn't be surprised to see single digits.

So the question really is, what is the benefit of running an engine that is at 70-80% of it's capability over running an engine that is 40% of it's capability.

Edit: yes the 5.3 Colorado is a thing and it's super sought after

I'm sure it sucks gas by staying in boost all the time if you're working it. I had no idea there was a 5.3 Colorado. Like I said, I've not followed Chevy for years and midsize trucks especially.

I would suppose the benefit is unladen fuel economy and that sweet sweet torque curve of a turbo, especially down low. Elevation changes certainly benefit a forced induction motor, though that's obviously not much of a concern in Indiana. Maybe weight savings? What's the 2.7L weigh vs the 5.3? Weight savings helps payload ratings, handling, etc.

For my use profile, I don't really care about towing or hauling any great weight. I'm not terribly concerned with fuel economy, but am concerned about fuel range between fill ups, which is one reason Chevy hasn't really interested me (as well as horrendous interiors until very recently, and eaton lockers instead of a selectable locker). Why no optional larger tanks? Ram and Ford offer 33-36 gallon tanks on pretty much any non-hybrid. The Silverado, even with the 6.2L, will not offer something similar. The Tremor with the 3.5EB is down right quick. Not 'for a truck' quick but legitimately quick. I'm not going to run my Camaro down with it or anything, but highway on ramps, 2 lane passing, and various 'sprited' driving shenanigans are a pleasure. Plus it's very easy to turn to absurd power if you're willing to run 91 or 93 octane exclusively. Coming from a hemi equipped RAM with 3.92s, it felt quicker. The Raptor is quick but you notice the higher rotating mass of the bigger wheel package.

Top Bottom