• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The interior looks significantly improved. 2.7L turbo 4 with 310hp/430ft-lbs in top trim level and backed by an 8 speed. ZR2 has 10 cameras, some of which are *under* the truck for trail visibility, still has selectable lockers front and rear, the multimatic offroad shocks, solid ground clearance and approach/breakover/departure angle numbers.

An obvious competitor to the Ranger Raptor, which handily thrashes Chevy's offering on terms of power, some 80hp more and a 10 speed, but doesn't have the underbody camera, uses a torsen locker up front instead of a selectable, and may just get edged on ground clearance. The ZR2 may be the better low speed technical trail choice and the Raptor the more sporty high speed shenanigans choice. Aesthetically, both have their pros and cons. ZR2 has an optional sunroof, which the Raptor lacks. Unknown mpg or max single tank range on the ZR2. Midsize trucks usually don't get significantly better milage than their full sized compatriots but get saddled with smaller gas tanks.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in the ZR2, but it's an interesting offering and GMC has really stepped up their interiors. The new Silverado ZR2 that's already out this year looks really sharp as well.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I watched a couple of videos about the new Colorado. Honestly, I like the engine strategy. I haven't heard a lot negative about the 2.7 in the Silverado and Cadillacs it is used in. Looks good. If I was into hard-core off-roading (as hard core as a stock truck can do, anyway), it would be worth a look. I think the 2.7 will probably be much more durable than the 3.6.

I took a serious look at the present gen Colorado with the diesel, but I just have to many long legged family members.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    It's cute. Like a truck, only smaller.

For comparison.
    018.jpg

Seriously, if it didn't fit the needs of a significant consumer market, they wouldn't build the Colorado. I saw one the other day out in the wild, a ZR2 I believe. They are sharp looking. At 310 hp, that is respectable. But as @Bigtanker will tell you, there is no substitute for mass.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Still waiting for a real pickup to return to the marketplace. Is a standard cab, long bed , 4x4 too much to ask? Everything today is just an oversized sedan with no lid on the trunk.

It never left. All the domestics still build a regular cab with an 8' bed and 4x4 option. Ford makes that configuration in both the XL and XLT trim F150. Chevy makes it in the Silverado 1500 WT trim, both start at about $38k. Chevy Silverado 1500 LTD has the same at about $37k. Ram reserves the real truck build for 2500s and up, but you can get yourself a 2500 Tradesman 4x4 starting at $45k.
    Now that you know are you going to buy one to support the 'real pickup market' continuing?

Multiple times over the years people have said some variation of your post, often with some price limit, and I post new models that fit that exact criteria. Yet they never actually buy one. It's a truck people pretend to want, but nobody outside of fleets ever actually buys one. And, of course, today's oversized sedans are significantly more capable than trucks from previous decades in any metric you choose.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's cute. Like a truck, only smaller.

For comparison.
    View attachment 214614

Seriously, if it didn't fit the needs of a significant consumer market, they wouldn't build the Colorado. I saw one the other day out in the wild, a ZR2 I believe. They are sharp looking. At 310 hp, that is respectable. But as @Bigtanker will tell you, there is no substitute for mass.

I looked at a GMC Sierra AT4. That's the softest "offroad" truck I've looked at. I get everyone has different needs, but terrible ground clearance, a giant exposed plastic gas tank with no skid plate, low hanging exhaust, and street biased AT tires. Probably a decent light tow rig.

So far the F-150 Raptor and the F-150 Tremor have been my favorites, but I do want to drive the most current Power Wagon as well.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    But as @Bigtanker will tell you, there is no substitute for mass.
    i disagree, may i present to you….

The Ford Ranger
    6294B0A5-B49E-4569-9FD6-354861BC82A9.jpeg It has DOUBLE DIGIT horsepower numbers for towing those heavy loads. A 5 speed mansmission, and 4 wheel drive that allows one front AND one rear tire to spin when engaged.

Phht, mass.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    It never left. All the domestics still build a regular cab with an 8' bed and 4x4 option. Ford makes that configuration in both the XL and XLT trim F150. Chevy makes it in the Silverado 1500 WT trim, both start at about $38k. Chevy Silverado 1500 LTD has the same at about $37k. Ram reserves the real truck build for 2500s and up, but you can get yourself a 2500 Tradesman 4x4 starting at $45k.
    Now that you know are you going to buy one to support the 'real pickup market' continuing?

Multiple times over the years people have said some variation of your post, often with some price limit, and I post new models that fit that exact criteria. Yet they never actually buy one. It's a truck people pretend to want, but nobody outside of fleets ever actually buys one. And, of course, today's oversized sedans are significantly more capable than trucks from previous decades in any metric you choose.
    I don’t dispute that the trucks you’ve listed exist. Finding one in the marketplace is a different story, at least around my area. For now I’ll keep driving my 1986 F250 bullnose, but I’ll keep looking for those models. Thank you.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I looked at a GMC Sierra AT4. That's the softest "offroad" truck I've looked at. I get everyone has different needs, but terrible ground clearance, a giant exposed plastic gas tank with no skid plate, low hanging exhaust, and street biased AT tires. Probably a decent light tow rig.

So far the F-150 Raptor and the F-150 Tremor have been my favorites, but I do want to drive the most current Power Wagon as well.
    Well, if you're truly looking for something you can take out on trails in the woods without paying stupid Wrangler prices, that's a different conversation. You didn't indicate that in your OP.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I was real interested in the new Colorado/Canyon but it appears they are only offering the crew cab with the short bed. If I'm stepping down from my full size truck I really want to have the 6ft bed option. Also not many people on the forums think the 8sp tranny is worth a crap, apparently it's been very problematic.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, if you're truly looking for something you can take out on trails in the woods without paying stupid Wrangler prices, that's a different conversation. You didn't indicate that in your OP.

I'm looking for a truck that I can drive to Texas or Colorado without wanting to stab my eyes out then play on the service roads and easier trails, as well as do trails around here. I've discussed it more in the KAT thread (Kentucky Adventure Trail). Personally, I'm more interested in the Raptor but the ZR2 is interesting enough to have a conversation about.

Driving a Wrangler for 12-16 hours straight is not my idea of a good time. If I was willing to go with an SUV it'd be a Bronco.

Top Bottom