• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I watched a couple of videos about the new Colorado. Honestly, I like the engine strategy. I haven't heard a lot negative about the 2.7 in the Silverado and Cadillacs it is used in. Looks good. If I was into hard-core off-roading (as hard core as a stock truck can do, anyway), it would be worth a look. I think the 2.7 will probably be much more durable than the 3.6.

I took a serious look at the present gen Colorado with the diesel, but I just have to many long legged family members.
    You have a family of giants or are they all legs and no torso? I'm 6'3" and I can't quite comfortably reach the pedals with the seat all the way back in my '21 Colorado.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You have a family of giants or are they all legs and no torso? I'm 6'3" and I can't quite comfortably reach the pedals with the seat all the way back in my '21 Colorado.

I'm guessing the back seats are more the issue. Can four of you-sized individuals comfortably ride in the mid-size trucks of any flavor?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm guessing the back seats are more the issue. Can four of you-sized individuals comfortably ride in the mid-size trucks of any flavor?
    That's what the bed is for, lol. Or the suv. I wouldn't consider any truck as a first choice mass transport vehicle. That said, three can ride fairly comfortably.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and how much leg room is there in the back seat when you do that?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    ...and how much leg room is there in the back seat when you do that?
    I can comfortably drive with the seat at least 2-3 notches from being all the way back which leaves enough leg room for someone of about average height. They're probably not going to enjoy the ride for hours and hours on end but a couple hours shouldn't be a problem and still much better than riding in a sedan. For a family with 4 members all over 6', then a full size truck would be better. An suv likely better yet.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It never left. All the domestics still build a regular cab with an 8' bed and 4x4 option. Ford makes that configuration in both the XL and XLT trim F150. Chevy makes it in the Silverado 1500 WT trim, both start at about $38k. Chevy Silverado 1500 LTD has the same at about $37k. Ram reserves the real truck build for 2500s and up, but you can get yourself a 2500 Tradesman 4x4 starting at $45k.
    Now that you know are you going to buy one to support the 'real pickup market' continuing?

Multiple times over the years people have said some variation of your post, often with some price limit, and I post new models that fit that exact criteria. Yet they never actually buy one. It's a truck people pretend to want, but nobody outside of fleets ever actually buys one. And, of course, today's oversized sedans are significantly more capable than trucks from previous decades in any metric you choose.
    Yep, a regular cab with a long bed is great for hauling large/long stuff but not nearly as good for hauling people or smaller items that one doesn't want rattling around in the bed. I suspect most people prefer a more versatile vehicle, especially if it is a daily driver or a smaller truck. Which is reflected by the market and options. It makes sense then to make the regular cab/long bed configuration as the work truck or basic option.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    To me the Colorado appears to look like a Toyota Tacoma without the reliability of Toyota.

If you drive your truck more to the car wash than the lumber /supply store read no further you have been warned:

I once again am not in the majority here but trucks should fit two people (and maybe a dog) better yet one person and a dog so you can have better conversations.

Truck should have an 8 foot bed (or at least the ability to Carry 8 foot sheets. ) crew cab short 5 foot bed trucks yeah I will pass.

Now Something with room for guns and tool storage behind the seats like a cab and I half I can dig it. Just that area is not for people.

Trucks are not for driving the kids to baseball or going to the shopping mall. Trucks are for work and transportation of things. Maybe a little hunting fishing or camping. If you drive your truck to your office job do the poor thing a favor and take the farm road home so it can at least feel a little masculine in it’s lifetime.

Toyota trucks are perfect what the were made to do. hauling weapons for the resistance. Chevy made trucks in the past but now they are flashy cars with computers bells an whistles all over them. Ford still makes a truck but you have to order them special to get them stripped down enough to classy. Dodge lost me a while ago but I have been hearing good things about the power wagon.

Ok you sparkling clean trucks drivers can start reading ingo from here again.

Below for reference is a truck. 229k miles and born in 1994. Faded green and primer gray. And look a tool box. And with the tail gate down and a couple of 2x4 it will haul 4x8 sheet goods around. The dog and I fit well in it and there are these things called cranks that make the windows open and close. No computer controlled stuff (even my local parts store has to break out the old code scanner) no onstar and after about five minutes the stereo will work on something besides AM.

Attachments

• 535B0DFD-9B64-4135-BA6F-43DEEFD60D6A.jpeg
      535B0DFD-9B64-4135-BA6F-43DEEFD60D6A.jpeg
      930.8 KB · Views: 6
    • ABEAC518-5814-4BAE-81DA-58EB9F09FF8D.jpeg
      ABEAC518-5814-4BAE-81DA-58EB9F09FF8D.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 6

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lots of folks white knighting for the 'real truck' yet aren't buying one from the dealership. I'm waiting for the real REAL truck guys to start lambasting you candy asses with your mirrors, HVAC, and synchronized transmissions.

Toyota reliability = we don't make much power and our gas milage isn't that great, but the motor definitely lives long enough for the frame to rust into crumbles. Find out more in any issue of a 1980's consumer reports magazine for how good we were...are, I mean are. :):

I know guys like their Tacoma, but I suspect they must be punishing themselves for their sins. Second worst seating position in a truck ever, and I've driven a truck (well, a Scout) where the seat was an actual milk crate bracketed to the floor.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    To me the Colorado appears to look like a Toyota Tacoma without the reliability of Toyota.

If you drive your truck more to the car wash than the lumber /supply store read no further you have been warned:

I once again am not in the majority here but trucks should fit two people (and maybe a dog) better yet one person and a dog so you can have better conversations.

Truck should have an 8 foot bed (or at least the ability to Carry 8 foot sheets. ) crew cab short 5 foot bed trucks yeah I will pass.

Now Something with room for guns and tool storage behind the seats like a cab and I half I can dig it. Just that area is not for people.

Trucks are not for driving the kids to baseball or going to the shopping mall. Trucks are for work and transportation of things. Maybe a little hunting fishing or camping. If you drive your truck to your office job do the poor thing a favor and take the farm road home so it can at least feel a little masculine in it’s lifetime.

Toyota trucks are perfect what the were made to do. hauling weapons for the resistance. Chevy made trucks in the past but now they are flashy cars with computers bells an whistles all over them. Ford still makes a truck but you have to order them special to get them stripped down enough to classy. Dodge lost me a while ago but I have been hearing good things about the power wagon.

Ok you sparkling clean trucks drivers can start reading ingo from here again.

Below for reference is a truck. 229k miles and born in 1994. Faded green and primer gray. And look a tool box. And with the tail gate down and a couple of 2x4 it will haul 4x8 sheet goods around. The dog and I fit well in it and there are these things called cranks that make the windows open and close. No computer controlled stuff (even my local parts store has to break out the old code scanner) no onstar and after about five minutes the stereo will work on something besides AM.
    Auto manufacturers build what they can sell. You couldn't be more wrong about what a truck is, in today's market.

For starters, why would any auto maker care what you think? Anyone who brags up their '94 Ranger with 229k miles is not the type of person who is going to buy a new truck. Get yourself a roll of duct tape and some baling wire, and you'll likely get another 10 years and 100k more miles out of that little farm truck.

The reality is, lots of households are "2 car" nowadays, and if I've already got a sedan or SUV for the family, why wouldn't it make sense to have a pickup as a 2nd vehicle? And all the better if that pickup retains all of the cargo carrying capacity I need, plus is comfortable for 4 or 5 people from point A to point B. The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people who like the versatility of having a pickup truck don't need an 8' bed. I've hauled appliances, mowers, bicycles, mulch, dirt, etc in my pickup, and have never needed an 8' bed.

"Masculinity" issues aside (and I'm not sure just how masculine a '94 Ranger is :):), I won't be trading my new midsize truck with AC, leather heated seats, sunroof, navigation, premium audio, 5 1/2" bed and room for 5 people for a 2 passenger mini farm wagon with crank windows anytime soon.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Lots of folks white knighting for the 'real truck' yet aren't buying one from the dealership. I'm waiting for the real REAL truck guys to start lambasting you candy asses with your mirrors, HVAC, and synchronized transmissions.

Toyota reliability = we don't make much power and our gas milage isn't that great, but the motor definitely lives long enough for the frame to rust into crumbles. Find out more in any issue of a 1980's consumer reports magazine for how good we were...are, I mean are. :):

I know guys like their Tacoma, but I suspect they must be punishing themselves for their sins. Second worst seating position in a truck ever, and I've driven a truck (well, a Scout) where the seat was an actual milk crate bracketed to the floor.
    Toyota makes a fine truck.. for those that have to worry about making minimum height to get on the rides at the amusement park but the quality doesn't quite match the claims in my experience. They tend to have a number of small but nagging issues that owners overlook from my experience.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people who like the versatility of having a pickup truck don't need an 8' bed. I've hauled appliances, mowers, bicycles, mulch, dirt, etc in my pickup, and have never needed an 8' bed.

I'll admit I was very hesitant to go from an 8' bed to a 6.5' bed. My F250 Super Duty and my current Ram 1500 both had the 6.5, and only once in about 14 years have I thought an 8' bed would have been handy. I had to play Tetris to get all my new kitchen cabinets in one load and had to leave the tailgate down and tie the load down, with an 8' bed I probably could have closed the tailgate. If I go with the Raptor for my next truck, I'll be down to a 5.5' bed and am not super stoked, but it's got the flip up thing on the end of the tail gate that lets you use it as an 8' bed for plywood or the like.

I am going to look at a current generation Power Wagon, though, which retains the 6.5' bed. I drove a last generation one and wasn't impressed enough for it to unseat the Raptor or Tremor as my likely choices.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county

For starters, why would any auto maker care what you think?
    "Masculinity" issues aside (and I'm not sure just how masculine a '94 Ranger is :):),
    You are completely correct truck/auto makers don’t like people who put 80 precent down in cash and finance the rest on two years. Want a stick shift. Want to be able to change a head light without removing the front fender. Then drive it payment free for 16 years. Purchased it after the person who ordered it like it is backed out of the sale and I got a deal on it. New 1995 models were on the lot. They had a nice new red ranger on the lot. The green one was cheaper by a lot.

My 2009 Pontiac vibe purchased used in 2011 paid off before 2014. Now has 179k runs like a champ and gets 34.5 mpg average. So 8 years of free driving minus the normal maintenance cost and gas. Also a five speed manual so no one wanted it. Millennial’s don’t can’t drive a stick.

Am I cheap? Yes. Can I then afford ammo and guns yes.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You must be lost, then. This is the 2023 Chevy Colorado thread. (Base W/T model est. $28k MSRP)

:):
    28k below one born in 1979 purchased in 1984 and paid off it 1988. (19k on the odometer) And one bought this year with 10k down and 3k made since January in payments.

I can afford a Chevy Colorado. Personally I think both better than a new Chevy Colorado. Great thing about America is you do you bro I will do me.

Attachments

• 9A45FE06-75A6-4959-ACB9-EC96B40ED92E.jpeg
      9A45FE06-75A6-4959-ACB9-EC96B40ED92E.jpeg
      502.3 KB · Views: 6

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Bet it smokes a stock 454 SS...
    Yes...not even close....but do you know what fits where a 454 used to be?

But I'm dreaming at this point. My 5.7L Hemi has all the power I need and then some. Heck, my old 5.3L Silverado was all the power I needed and that barely had more horses than the upper 2 2.7s in the Colorado and less torque.

Top Bottom