• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I love the 5.0 Coyote motor in my F-150. Bolt on mods, tune, etc. Imagine my surprise when my dad's new F-150 with a 2.7 twin turbo v-6 pulls nearly as hard in day to day driving....but it sounds like :poop:.

Towing power was fine but fuel consumption was astronomical while towing. Daily driving we get about the same.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I love the 5.0 Coyote motor in my F-150. Bolt on mods, tune, etc. Imagine my surprise when my dad's new F-150 with a 2.7 twin turbo v-6 pulls nearly as hard in day to day driving....but it sounds like :poop:.

Towing power was fine but fuel consumption was astronomical while towing. Daily driving we get about the same.
    An F-150 with the 5.0L was also on my list. NA V8s are my preference. I understand the power can be quite good with smaller engines and turbos, but I am more confident with V8s and no turbos when we get over 200,000 miles....which I will.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    An F-150 with the 5.0L was also on my list. NA V8s are my preference. I understand the power can be quite good with smaller engines and turbos, but I am more confident with V8s and no turbos when we get over 200,000 miles....which I will.
    The newer small displacement turbo engines(that I'm aware of) are built like a diesel internally. The OEM's definitely cheap out on accessories and plumbing though, so those can be weak points.

I personally drove a fusion with a 2.0 Ecoboost to 137,xxx miles with no issues.....and it was tuned at @38k. It wasn't babied.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I really want GM to make a vehicle I like enough to buy. At the moment I'm looking at the new Ford Bronco. This Colorado looks fun but I don't like the sharp angles and knife edge design. I know it's trendy but not pleasing to me.
    I am too. My wife's car is about on its last leg and we want something more serious off-road than my truck. So it's down to Bronco or Jeep, or maybe Toyota.

I want to hate the Bronco because it's a F***ed Over Rebuilt Dodge. And I love Jeeps. But I just can't hate the Bronco enough not to seriously consider it. It would be an easier decision if its duty were just for off road. It's a replacement for a daily driver, though, and we plan to use it for long trips. Wrangler is just not very comfortable to drive, in my experience, especially on long trips. As we age that becomes more important.

We'll test drive both just because Jeep may have addressed comfort since I last drove one? We'll see. But there are zero GM products in the running.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lots of folks white knighting for the 'real truck' yet aren't buying one from the dealership. I'm waiting for the real REAL truck guys to start lambasting you candy asses with your mirrors, HVAC, and synchronized transmissions.

Toyota reliability = we don't make much power and our gas milage isn't that great, but the motor definitely lives long enough for the frame to rust into crumbles. Find out more in any issue of a 1980's consumer reports magazine for how good we were...are, I mean are. :):

I know guys like their Tacoma, but I suspect they must be punishing themselves for their sins. Second worst seating position in a truck ever, and I've driven a truck (well, a Scout) where the seat was an actual milk crate bracketed to the floor.
    If you're tall-ish, Taco's aren't all that comfortable. Another thing about Toyota legendary reliability, they tend not to implement innovations at the rate that other car manufacturers do. New tech is less reliable because it hasn't been exercised enough in the real world long enough to discover all the ways it can fail. Tacoma hasn't had a major redesign since 2016, and even then it wasn't ground-up.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If anyone cares: I saw a white Gladiator for sale in Greenwood yesterday. Private sale. On the north side of Smith Valley Rd just west of SR 135 right near Restin Rd.

Don't know the seller, just drove by it and saw it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You are completely correct truck/auto makers don’t like people who put 80 precent down in cash and finance the rest on two years. Want a stick shift. Want to be able to change a head light without removing the front fender. Then drive it payment free for 16 years. Purchased it after the person who ordered it like it is backed out of the sale and I got a deal on it. New 1995 models were on the lot. They had a nice new red ranger on the lot. The green one was cheaper by a lot.

My 2009 Pontiac vibe purchased used in 2011 paid off before 2014. Now has 179k runs like a champ and gets 34.5 mpg average. So 8 years of free driving minus the normal maintenance cost and gas. Also a five speed manual so no one wanted it. Millennial’s don’t can’t drive a stick.

Am I cheap? Yes. Can I then afford ammo and guns yes.
    Except that's really not the way to think about that. If it's paid for, it doesn't mean the rest of the time you own it is "free". There's an opportunity cost for spending your money on anything. The total cost of ownership is spread over the whole time you own it. Your last mile is just as expensive as the first, notwithstanding what other ways you choose to spend money on that vehicle, like fuzzy dice one might hang on the mirror.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If anyone cares: I saw a white Gladiator for sale in Greenwood yesterday. Private sale. On the north side of Smith Valley Rd just west of SR 135 right near Restin Rd.

Don't know the seller, just drove by it and saw it.
    FWIW, Gladiators don't seem to hold their value like Wranglers. I don't know why that is. When I bought my Silverado I seriously considered buying a Gladiator, but for the price I could get a full size truck. So I did.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I am too. My wife's car is about on its last leg and we want something more serious off-road than my truck. So it's down to Bronco or Jeep, or maybe Toyota.

I want to hate the Bronco because it's a F***ed Over Rebuilt Dodge. And I love Jeeps. But I just can't hate the Bronco enough not to seriously consider it. It would be an easier decision if its duty were just for off road. It's a replacement for a daily driver, though, and we plan to use it for long trips. Wrangler is just not very comfortable to drive, in my experience, especially on long trips. As we age that becomes more important.

We'll test drive both just because Jeep may have addressed comfort since I last drove one? We'll see. But there are zero GM products in the running.
    My brother is a Jeep fanboi and was trying to sell me on a Jeep for years. I drove one and immediately disliked it. Mine too, will be a all day everyday driver, snow and ice duty required and a little off-road fun when the need arises.

If it was three miles to work and I did a lot of off-roading the Jeep would be a pretty easy choice. I do 20 mi each way every day and the bronco is a much better over the road vehicle.....and I don't hate the look.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    FWIW, Gladiators don't seem to hold their value like Wranglers. I don't know why that is. When I bought my Silverado I seriously considered buying a Gladiator, but for the price I could get a full size truck. So I did.

Since low milage used ones are selling for more than they did new, I'm not sure that's true. Gladiator has only been out a couple years, and price hikes have occurred which tilt the figures a bit, but long term I think the Gladiator will do just as well as the Wrangler trim for trim.

If you're going to buy it and use it just as a truck, then a Gladiator is overpriced. If you're going to use it as a part time truck, part time convertible, part time off roader then the utility to price ratio starts to make more sense. Then the Jeep tax.

I drove a couple and while I liked the Mojave, I didn't like enough to buy it. I'll never use the convertible feature, so that's a waste for me and I'd rather have the quieter highway ride than removable roof panels and doors. I don't fully trust the 3.6 ESS motor with it's secondary battery that's mandatory. It's kind of a dog once you get past 40mph, eliminating a lot of the 'fun to drive on the road' aspect of vehicle ownership. Footwell was very narrow and the door strap often intrudes. So it's pros didn't align with my wants and it's cons included things I value. Pricewise it was one of the cheapest things on my consideration list. Cheaper to buy new and wait at the moment, 5-6% off invoice pricing at several dealerships if you're willing to travel a bit to pick it up. Gupton Jeep in Tennessee, for example.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Since low milage used ones are selling for more than they did new, I'm not sure that's true. Gladiator has only been out a couple years, and price hikes have occurred which tilt the figures a bit, but long term I think the Gladiator will do just as well as the Wrangler trim for trim.

If you're going to buy it and use it just as a truck, then a Gladiator is overpriced. If you're going to use it as a part time truck, part time convertible, part time off roader then the utility to price ratio starts to make more sense. Then the Jeep tax.

I drove a couple and while I liked the Mojave, I didn't like enough to buy it. I'll never use the convertible feature, so that's a waste for me and I'd rather have the quieter highway ride than removable roof panels and doors. I don't fully trust the 3.6 ESS motor with it's secondary battery that's mandatory. It's kind of a dog once you get past 40mph, eliminating a lot of the 'fun to drive on the road' aspect of vehicle ownership. Footwell was very narrow and the door strap often intrudes. So it's pros didn't align with my wants and it's cons included things I value. Pricewise it was one of the cheapest things on my consideration list. Cheaper to buy new and wait at the moment, 5-6% off invoice pricing at several dealerships if you're willing to travel a bit to pick it up. Gupton Jeep in Tennessee, for example.
    You still have that Camaro?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don’t dispute that the trucks you’ve listed exist. Finding one in the marketplace is a different story, at least around my area. For now I’ll keep driving my 1986 F250 bullnose, but I’ll keep looking for those models. Thank you.
    And if no one orders them they do not exist in the used market. BB is right, they do exist, but in the used market are ragged out as pure work trucks.

I also believe that a trucks bed is far less important than it once was, which is why even 3500 trucks often do not have an 8 foot bed, it is more about tow capacity now. Forty years ago the plethora of trailers did not exist like today.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It's better, but it's still not something I'd want to drive for road trips. The Bronco is significantly more comfortable from the limited time we got to spend with one. Steering is much better without the need for constant input, seats were very comfortable, more room in the foot wells, and I vastly preferred both the interior and the visibility. Biggest issue with the Bronco remains availability, IMO.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    It's better, but it's still not something I'd want to drive for road trips. The Bronco is significantly more comfortable from the limited time we got to spend with one. Steering is much better without the need for constant input, seats were very comfortable, more room in the foot wells, and I vastly preferred both the interior and the visibility. Biggest issue with the Bronco remains availability, IMO.
    My experience aligns with yours with the jeep vs bronco assessment. Interior dimensions and steering/road characteristics are both a big win for the Bronco.

I need a daily driver that can off-road. Jeep is better for an off-road vehicle that can daily. Don't really need a pickup or I'd just keep my eff-onefiddy.

Ordering starts Aug 15 and I'll be placing mine that day.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The biggest issue with the Bronco (in v6) is the valve springs. Not really in the news yet but I know of two catastrophic engine failures in the V6 both with valves and piston collision

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My experience aligns with yours with the jeep vs bronco assessment. Interior dimensions and steering/road characteristics are both a big win for the Bronco.

I need a daily driver that can off-road. Jeep is better for an off-road vehicle that can daily. Don't really need a pickup or I'd just keep my eff-onefiddy.

Ordering starts Aug 15 and I'll be placing mine that day.

Bronco order banks aren't going to open on Aug 15, unless you have an existing MY22 order that's rolling over to MY23. If it's a new order Sept 12th is the earliest the order bank will be available to you. The verified rollover builds are supposed to get build priority to reduce some of the back log before new customer orders come in.

The biggest issue with the Bronco (in v6) is the valve springs. Not really in the news yet but I know of two catastrophic engine failures in the V6 both with valves and piston collision

It has been on the news, there is a thread on it here on INGO, and it's almost entirely limited to a certain date range. The 2.7 is used in many other vehicles, including the F150, without issue and there's nothing different about the Bronco's 2.7.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Bronco order banks aren't going to open on Aug 15, unless you have an existing MY22 order that's rolling over to MY23. If it's a new order Sept 12th is the earliest the order bank will be available to you. The verified rollover builds are supposed to get build priority to reduce some of the back log before new customer orders come in.

It has been on the news, there is a thread on it here on INGO, and it's almost entirely limited to a certain date range. The 2.7 is used in many other vehicles, including the F150, without issue and there's nothing different about the Bronco's 2.7.
    Having an old bronco in the family as a kid I loved the idea of them.
    retro look.

Old boss got job in Nashville order his bronco as soon as they made them available (if not before) at his ford dealer. He does not off-road, camp, wheel, ect. He got new job out of Carmel and while driving on the highway back to Carmel fr9m Nashville if just blew up with no warning.

it is still at a ford dealer in Kentucky. I think they put him in a ranger as a loaner. Was told bad steel on valve spring area.

second one lasted under 2k miles but that guy bought it to wheel and off road. On second trip to land between the lakes dead. I think his made it back to where they camped.

both were born on dates within a week of each other so maybe it is just a bad batch of parts. Second one I blamed on the guy cause I have never saw a guy abuse a wheeler like he does.

Top Bottom