• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    First two griddle outings were a success...

Sunday morning cooked bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns...

eYG2P0ll.jpg

Sunday night, burgers-n-tots...

C0d6Czll.jpg

My wife is NEVER gonna let me cook bacon in the house again.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    What is everyone’s go to seasoning for pork butt? Or your go to seasoning in general. I use to make my own seasoning but got lazy and started buying in bottles. I go in spurts of killer hogs, meat church honey hog, suckle busters and here recently I have been using operation BBQ relief sweet smoky rub. I typically don’t branch out much unless I have tried it before since it’s such a long process for pork butt for it to turn out bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Meat Church Holy Gospel is my go to for butts.

When pulling the pork I like to add a little MC Voodoo or honey hog depending on how spicy our guests like it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I make my own when it comes to butts, it's just to expensive when it comes to the bigger stuff. We have one called Cowgirl Rub that everyone seems to like on ribs and chicken though..

I usually use a version of this.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I use:
    Yardbird for chicken
    Yard bird and Cimarron Docs sweet rib rub for ribs
    Okie Dust on pork butts then Cimmaron Docs once shredded
    Oakridge Black Ops brisket rub and Obie Cue's Big Bull brisket rub for briskets along with Butcher Bbq brisket injection

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The more I smoke the less I worry about the rub or it’s ingredients. A rub definitely contributes to the bark but I unless I cake it on I can’t really taste any appreciable difference between rubs. The sweetness and heat/pepper level is discernible but things like garlic, celery or other seasonings disappear.

For beef I’m down to just salt and pepper most times.

For pork I’ll add paprika and brown sugar to the S&P.

For smoked chicken I usually brine with some of the above and maybe toss an orange in the mix and sometimes molasses.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What is everyone’s go to seasoning for pork butt? Or your go to seasoning in general. I use to make my own seasoning but got lazy and started buying in bottles. I go in spurts of killer hogs, meat church honey hog, suckle busters and here recently I have been using operation BBQ relief sweet smoky rub. I typically don’t branch out much unless I have tried it before since it’s such a long process for pork butt for it to turn out bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bearded Butcher is my go-to for everything. If I want simple and convenient (and cheap), I have a few from Kroger that I like, from their Private Selection label, including Cracked Peppercorn (salt, pepper, garlic), 5 Salt/5 Pepper, and their regional blends (Kansas City is great on pork butt).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The more I smoke the less I worry about the rub or it’s ingredients. A rub definitely contributes to the bark but I unless I cake it on I can’t really taste any appreciable difference between rubs. The sweetness and heat/pepper level is discernible but things like garlic, celery or other seasonings disappear.

For smoked chicken I usually brine with some of the above and maybe toss an orange in the mix and sometimes molasses.
    Yep. Brisket, for me, is absolutely just salt and pepper. With pork, I'll try to add flavor from the wood variety (I like cherry, apple, maple, and pecan).

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I still have lump coal from the original bag I bought whe I got my Kamado. If I would have used my old webber ad much as I do the kj, I know the twin pack of charcoal would have been used twice over easily.

I have also seen a couple of highly ratwd electeic coal starters. I just use the heavily bound rope like starter things.
    I make my own starters by stuffing a bathroom dixie cup with drier lint with candle wax dripped into it. Great for campfires too.
    Else I just 3 sheets of wadded newsprint to get em going.

Electric is convenient but useless in the bush or during power outages.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Hey....keep that quiet.

I've got my better half convinced it's really difficult.

That's why I have to stay near the smoker and drink beer when it's running.....To keep a watchful eye on things.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My favorite sauce for a pulled pork sandwich is a Carolina mustard sauce the wife makes. I normally have fresh pulled pork without any sauce, but the mustard sauce sometimes changes my mind.
    Nothing wrong with a good mustard 'cue, either. Anything that is vinegar-based (so, both a Lexington sauce and a mustard 'cue) goes excellently with pulled pork.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom