• Status
    Not open for further replies.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I did these yesterday. I normally do ribs at 220-225F but lost control of the Smokey Mountain early on and they smoked from 250-260F during the first two hours. I never opened any vents until the final hour. I wasn't very happy with the way they came out but my wife and son loved them. So much for what I know.

View attachment 209908
    Pork is pretty forgiving but I'm not sure I'd even worry about that temperature difference if I were smoking a brisket. It's really not enough to do any damage.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I finally got my Father's Day gift set up and christened with some chicken fried rice. I had to buy a longer gas line for it and the OEM was a 1psi max unit and the one I ordered was a 20psi max (oops). Let's just say adjusting the regulator has been interesting lol. It wasn't able to maintain the temps I wanted but I'll get it dialed in soon. Dinner still turned out great, just a little room for improvement.

If anyone is on the fence about buying the Pit Boss I highly recommend it. I was very fond of my Blackstone but cleaning the rust off every time I wanted to use it flat sucked. I bought an expensive metal cover for it and it still rusted. I bought the Blackstone cover and it still rusted. I put the metal cover on and the Blackstone over it and it still rusted. I probably wouldn't have bought this myself as the Blackstone was still usable just not convenient but man is this ceramic top awesome.

sEz77EJh.jpg

nv9xBZPh.jpg

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I finally got my Father's Day gift set up and christened with some chicken fried rice. I had to buy a longer gas line for it and the OEM was a 1psi max unit and the one I ordered was a 20psi max (oops). Let's just say adjusting the regulator has been interesting lol. It wasn't able to maintain the temps I wanted but I'll get it dialed in soon. Dinner still turned out great, just a little room for improvement.

If anyone is on the fence about buying the Pit Boss I highly recommend it. I was very fond of my Blackstone but cleaning the rust off every time I wanted to use it flat sucked. I bought an expensive metal cover for it and it still rusted. I bought the Blackstone cover and it still rusted. I put the metal cover on and the Blackstone over it and it still rusted. I probably wouldn't have bought this myself as the Blackstone was still usable just not convenient but man is this ceramic top awesome.

sEz77EJh.jpg

nv9xBZPh.jpg
    I don't have a blackstone. I'm assuming it's cast iron? If so, would seasoning it after each use (admittedly, a pain) prevent it from rusting?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't have a blackstone. I'm assuming it's cast iron? If so, would seasoning it after each use (admittedly, a pain) prevent it from rusting?
    It didn't in my case. It didn't matter what I tried, it always rusted, I don't know how anyone could store cast iron outside without it rusting but some claim they do.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Did a leg of lamb today along with corn on the cob and baked taters. Marinated overnight with fresh from the garden garlic, rosemary and thyme, along with Sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and evoo.

No pics of the end product but this is after a 5 minute sear on each side to get it started. Then onto the indirect side for about 80 minutes. Pulled off at 135° internal and let rest for 10 minutes. Very tender and juicy 20220710_161223.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Experiment night

We're pretty fond of fried rice and my favorite Mexican dish is huevos con chorizo so I figured why not combine the two? My plan is to cook up a package of chorizo on the griddle then separate most of the fat once it's cooked (it's very fatty if you've never cooked it) and move the sausage to the side. Then I'll use a little of the chorizo grease too cook an onion, then 6 eggs, then the rice (2 cups uncooked). I usually toss some cut up spring onions into my fried rice just before taking it off of the grill but this time I think I'm going to use finely chopped jalapenõ so it still has a little crunch. I wish we had some cilantro but it should be pretty good otherwise. I'll heat up tortillas on the griddle as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom