KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Turned out great
    0IE7Flzh.jpg
    Kinda like a Mexican fried rice there. Glad your experiment turned out well. Looks tasty. I love any kind of fried rice and Spanish rice too.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It didn't in my case. It didn't matter what I tried, it always rusted, I don't know how anyone could store cast iron outside without it rusting but some claim they do.
    About the only thing I could think of would be to clean it, heat it up until it is completely dry, let it cool and slather on some crisco and get a nice solid coat. But that sounds like a pain to do every time.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Pulled pork from last weekend on m Primo Oval XL. It turned out great. 12 hour smoke.
    You keep that up and you'll fit in nicely. There's some serious smokers and grillers and a few flat toppers here. Now you just gotta figure out how to post a bigger pic instead of a thumbnail.

1657688760983.png

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ended up making some kindalaya. I thought I'd laid out some of my smoked pork to do tacos but it turned out to be cajun smoked chicken (I gotta do a better job of labeling when I vacuum seal). I'd also laid out a 4 pack of jalapeño and cheese bratwurst so I took a quick inventory and decided to go this route.

I sliced up the brats and browned them pretty well leaving some good fond in the bottom of the pot. Deglazed with some white wine and boiled it off before adding one red and one yellow bell pepper, a large white onion, 4 big cloves of garlic and about a tablespoon of the same cajun rub I used on the chicken when I smoked it. Sautéd the veggies for a couple of minutes before adding a can of crushed tomatoes, some tomato sauce, 3 cups of chicken stock and around 2.5 cups of uncooked white rice.

Brought all of that to a boil then covered and reduced heat to low for around 40 minutes after which I turned it off and put it in the over to stay warm. The rice overcooked a bit but the flavor was pretty good. Our niece is living with us and she doesn't do spicy food so I didn't season it nearly as much as I normally would but seasoning in the bowl worked out fine.

rulaBsph.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Was in a rush a couple nights ago. Filets were the plan but got off work late. Started the kamado joe, let it warm up... didn't think to take the heat deflector and clean it... thought for sure dinner was wasted.

I couldn't beleive my eyes when we pulled them and cut into them.

Drippings from previous use caught fire on right side. Left half is open to the coal.
    20220719_203747.jpg
    20220719_205313.jpg

Last edited:

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I bought a pork belly last Fall and pre-smoked it a couple hours on the pellet grill. I cut it in quarters and froze it for future use. Used Malcom Reed's recipe as a guideline but didn't cook the burnt ends an extra two hours on the grill just for the butter and brown sugar. Didn't do his finish glaze either as it's sweet enough without.

It did take a couple hours mostly at 250 indirect heat and another half hour at 275 to get some burnt ends. The 2.5hr total heat renders down the fat well like Malcom says. Have to watch the brown sugar burning as I just cooked a few pieces on the stovetop on low. Delicious! Pictures before and after 2.5 hr pellet grill. No Pics of the butter brown sugar glaze finish as I ate them too quick ;) The stovetop glaze could be anything one wanted with the finish, something to add more spice/heat than the seasoning, or other prefered sweet item glaze.

PXL_20220727_154407506.jpg
    PXL_20220727_180120639.jpg

PXL_20220727_181418609.jpg

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Holy crap!

Those onions look delicious!!
    We used red instead of yellow because of what the store had. I am pretty sure the sauce or gravy wasn't made exact either.

Beef stock, makers mark 46, and seasoning. Wrap bacon around and used toothpicks to hold in place. Oh and cut out a small part of the center to hold some of the bourbon :)

250⁰ for 2 hours, baste every 30 minutes, add gruyere cheese about 10 to 15 before we took them out.

Very very good and filled me up more than I thought :-/

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I might actually try an onion like that. I'm pretty much diced in dishes for flavor or onion rings only.

Looks good :yesway:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We used red instead of yellow because of what the store had. I am pretty sure the sauce or gravy wasn't made exact either.

Beef stock, makers mark 46, and seasoning. Wrap bacon around and used toothpicks to hold in place. Oh and cut out a small part of the center to hold some of the bourbon :)

250⁰ for 2 hours, baste every 30 minutes, add gruyere cheese about 10 to 15 before we took them out.

Very very good and filled me up more than I thought :-/
    First I've seen it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom