BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I just go.

I use a rub and let it sweat in for a few hours, then on the smoker it goes. I put mine on about 10pm, then when I wake up I put it in a foil pan, cover it with brown sugar, and a stick of butter, put aluminum foil over the pan to wrap it, and back on the smoker til it probes tender.

After it’s done I take the butt from the pan, pour the juice into a fat separator, pull the pork, and pour the juice over it.

Won’t disappoint.

One tip, after the butt is done, open the foil on top and let it steam out, then close it back up to rest. It’ll help the bark not get soggy.

Brown sugar and butter?

Damn!!!

I usually use butcher paper but suspect it would work as well with this approach.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If I have some apple juice I will inject, if not it doesn't bother me.

If I have some applesauce I will also mix that with the apple juice to inject.

Rub on at least 12 hrs before smoke time, and pull from fridge an hour before going on smoker also.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not the best weather for it but I fired up the stick burner this morning. Put four chickens on around noon and pulled them off at 6:30pm. Everything went great until the wind picked up then the temps were all over the place but I got it done.
    jGPzyoqh.jpg

The fire
    vrK7BQRh.mp4

The smoke
    hIs9OEBh.mp4

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Smoking pork butt this weekend.

I have always injected them with apple juice the night before. I am thinking about skipping that to see how it compares.

What do others here do? Inject or just go?

I have also done dry rubs the night before. Thinking about trying it where I do that an hour or so before they go on. What do others here do?
    Never injected, but sounds interesting. I prefer to put the rub on the night before or even earlier if I can, it works like a "dry brine". The salt pulls out some of the liquid and forms a concentrated brine that is absorbed back into the meat.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Save your empty paper towel rolls - stand one in the center of the chimney and load the charcoal around it. Light as usual.

Cuts the time almost in half.

Used this tip for the first time today.

EXCELLENT TIP!

Charcoal was ready to go in just under 10 minutes.

Thank you.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If I have some apple juice I will inject, if not it doesn't bother me.

If I have some applesauce I will also mix that with the apple juice to inject.

Rub on at least 12 hrs before smoke time, and pull from fridge an hour before going on smoker also.
    I have saved a couple overcooked pork loins with apple juice.

you know having drinks and forgetting to watch the temp well. Had people over and they all loved it and no one complained that it was dry/overcooked.

just posting this in case someone is in the same boat someda.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have saved a couple overcooked pork loins with apple juice.

you know having drinks and forgetting to watch the temp well. Had people over and they all loved it and no one complained that it was dry/overcooked.

just posting this in case someone is in the same boat someda.
    Hmm, Wonder if it would have worked with the couple of Ribeyes I turned to charcoal because of drinking and BSing.

I think that's the wife's favorite story to tell whenever we're somewhere and the conversation turns to grilling/BBQ.

Thanks for the tip.

• Wow
    Reactions: KG1
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom