• ...and so much more!
  • looper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    NWI
    From the article:
    "The International Longshore and Warehouse Union says their members will work a third shift, but only after the pileup of containers is fetched out of the port so there is space."

That's some pretty ****ed up logic right there. The reason a third shift is needed is to... wait for it... get the pileup of containers out of the port. :facepalm: In other words, we'll gladly come to work once there is no work for us to do. :nuts:
    They may be talking about the EMPTY containers piled up, nobody wants to take empty ones back to china - no profit

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    They may be talking about the EMPTY containers piled up, nobody wants to take empty ones back to china - no profit
    There is a massive pileup of full containers at the port. They have been offloading from the ship to storage yards, where they sometimes sit for a few weeks before being pickup up (due to being buried in the storage yard and a trucker / chassis shortage).

The empties aren't making the return trip to Asia because none of the ships want to spend the time getting reloaded. Much more profitable to head back empty....as the real money is in Asia -> USA.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Wife's uncle owns an import business. The shipping container is a real thing. For him, the price of shipping one jumped from ~$5k up to $65k this year alone. That's from China to Chicago
    me & a few friends used to spend ~5k for a container from chicago to west africa. we'd load them with cars and make a nice profit. this was in '19.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm having a hard time believing that everything was fine 36 months ago and now everything is totally screwed up.
    Something just doesn't smell right. I know covid covid. covid but...

Covid was not the problem. The successful fear mongering and resulting lockdowns/mandates are what caused this.

Many many people seen this coming, it was beyond obvious to most of the business community.

Problem is, folks that were warning of this coming are mostly Trump voters and not to be listened to. :twocents:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Covid was not the problem. The successful fear mongering and resulting lockdowns/mandates are the problem..

Many many people seen this coming, it was beyond obvious to most of the business community.

Problem is that folks warning of this coming are mostly Trump voters and not to be listened to. :twocents:
    It all stinks like a man made crisis. On every level

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    China shut down.

Then we shut down.

Shipping from there was essentially stopped.

The general population stopped spending money on services (restaurants, movies, travel, e.t.c) and spent it on tangible items (crap from China), depleting store shelves and warehouses.

Retailers have been trying to play catch up ever since, many with record sales and warehouses getting emptied out.

Now add in delays due to random factory, port, truck and rail issues (many due to staffing over covid cases, free govment $$$).

During the peak of covid, many ships were pulled out of transit for repairs, e.t.c - tightening capacity and driving up rates.

Now every day a container ship is at anchor is another day late it's next trip will be (or skipped entirely). Some container ships have been at anchor in LA / Long Beach 25+ days (a one way sail from Asia -> LA is roughly 13 days...Many vessels have had countless "blank sailings", or skipped ships. That's a LOT of capacity gone.

To add to that, every retailer is trying to ship as much as they can here, as quick as they can. Rates are setting new records every week, with really no end in site as retailers are paying them.

It's essentially a never ending peak season, but hey, what do I know .

It is now forecasted to continue thru '22 into '23....

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hell, Home Depot and Dollar General chartered there own ships to get their stuff here!

Bit DG in the butt though, a crew member tested positive... delaying it for 14 days!

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm having a hard time believing that everything was fine 36 months ago and now everything is totally screwed up.
    Ripples turn into waves. We are going to witness the combination of covid shutdowns plus the green new deal resulting in shortages of goods/services/energy worldwide.

It takes X number of BTU’s to create the energy that turns the lights on. When we stopped using and producing coal we pushed the demand onto natural gas. We also stopped exporting coal.

when we shut the ports down at the same time as giving away free money we created a supply/demand imbalance.

now that supply demand imbalance is being worsened by poor harvests in Europe and factory shutdowns in China and next week India.

the perfect storm, perhaps we have a shortage of cheap goods, perhaps we have a shortage of food. That remains to be seen.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    This is a man made ( meaning political ) disaster....
    It's going to get worse, stock up now!
    Thanks bidiot, and your communist regime!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty sure the containers are being set up for a world-record-setting milk crate challenge or some silly ****.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I'm just wondering what the period is on that curve... how many years equity are we burning through right now?
    Well, I’m not the guy to ask.
    When the Dow topped 3000, I was just a kid but my dad went on and on about how that was unsustainable, and he preached that every major mark it went over til about 18k when he finally gave up.
    From my viewpoint, you can’t count on it going up all the time, but many won’t short the market.
    Don’t bet on equity, bet on the pendulum moving.
    But, it appears I have turned in to my dad.

Top Bottom