• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Even those that chartered their own ship (unheard of before now) couldn't move their own freight in a timely manner.....Walmart also had issues with its chartered vessel, as did Dollar General...

bd6eba9093580f2e581bdba445a699a8.jpg
    0a3c60515c18dbe7f7bb9d90a36e0a89.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I read that smaller ships can use less used ports and several supply chains have switched over. Down side is higher per unit shipping cost in most cases.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I read that smaller ships can use less used ports and several supply chains have switched over. Down side is higher per unit shipping cost in most cases.
    That hasn't happened as much as you'd think. Warehouses, contracts, truckers, e.t.c are in place and not easily switched. But, freight is still moving, just at a much slower pace and much higher price.

Seattle, Oakland, Vancouver are all possible ports that could be used, but if you can't get a trucker to move your freight where it's needed, it won't help much. And if you do not have a contract with a steamship line to that new port, you'll be paying spot ($$$) pricing.

The big issue is all the empty containers pilling up. So much so, they can't move full containers as most chassis (and yards) are full of empties.

The kicker to all this, is the steamship lines are making record profits. Lookup who owns most of the steamship lines...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    That hasn't happened as much as you'd think. Warehouses, contracts, truckers, e.t.c are in place and not easily switched. But, freight is still moving, just at a much slower pace and much higher price.

Seattle, Oakland, Vancouver are all possible ports that could be used, but if you can't get a trucker to move your freight where it's needed, it won't help much. And if you do not have a contract with a steamship line to that new port, you'll be paying spot ($$$) pricing.

The big issue is all the empty containers pilling up. So much so, they can't move full containers as most chassis (and yards) are full of empties.

The kicker to all this, is the steamship lines are making record profits. Lookup who owns most of the steamship lines...
    Can they not see that they are painting themselves into a corner? At some point they will have to spend a bunch of time moving empties because they’re out of fulls, won’t they?
    Don’t they have any obligation, moral, financial, or otherwise to move the empties?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Can they not see that they are painting themselves into a corner? At some point they will have to spend a bunch of time moving empties because they’re out of fulls, won’t they?
    Don’t they have any obligation, moral, financial, or otherwise to move the empties?
    As I understand it, it backed up with the port shutdowns early on. There were a limited number of trailer chassis that could keep up under normal conditions, but once the backup occurred, they have been trying to play catch up ever since. And if nobody is building and buying more chassis, then the backup will continue to build.

There were also port worker labor issues too, and that exasperated the trucking issue.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    It's my understanding (this is my wife's wheelhouse, not mine) that most of the empties came from one off carriers that normally don't service LA / Long Beach.

That freight lane was so lucrative, many did a one off service. But then other carriers will not take their empties back.

Add to that, the carriers with regular scheduled service to LA / LB have been sailing back to Asia empty, as they can make more money doing that then waiting to load up on empties or Asia bound freight.

The final nail in the coffin, is when a trucker returns with an empty to drop and pickup a full container, they are often told they aren't accepting that color container that day and wind up not picking up a full container as they can't offload the empty.

It's a cluster, to say the least. They need a few "sweeper" vessels to just load up on empties and take them back to Asia.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I haven't been able to buy Johnsonville beer brats in over a month, even with shopping at multiple stores.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You would think something as ubiquitous as envelopes would be ok...

3 main suppliers are "out" of commerical #10 yesterday.
    I've have a case of windows #9 on backorder since middle December. (may get them in February).

WTF over.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    You would think something as ubiquitous as envelopes would be ok...

3 main suppliers are "out" of commerical #10 yesterday.
    I've have a case of windows #9 on backorder since middle December. (may get them in February).

WTF over.

I've got 50k #10's on back-order between 4 suppliers. They all say 6 to 8 weeks out. LetsGoBrandon.

Havn't seen this kind of problem in 37 years in business.

Top Bottom