• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    SB 203 is unlikely (like Ivory Soap - 99.99 2/3%) to get a Committee Hearing ... without that it is dead.... even if it gets a hearing - the committee is 7 (mostly fairly strong 2A / Art.1-Sec.32 supporters) Republicans to 2 Democrats ...

So fairly safe to say - this is a show tactic ... for now. - Please write and oppose it to your legilslators and committee chair(s) but - don't panic at the moment.

Where do we find information on who the committee chair is?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Good catch Bill! I gave it a quick read: Laird Law (35-47-14-1 reference below) false claim that leads to confiscation = felony 6. Not as strong as last year's version but something we'd discussed here and wanted to see.

Better review coming later tonight.

(8) makes a false report that a person is dangerous (as defined in IC 35-47-14-1) knowing the report or information to be false; commits false informing, a Class B misdemeanor. (e) However, the An offense described in subsection (d) is a: (1) Class A misdemeanor if it: (A) substantially hinders any law enforcement process; or if it (B) results in creating a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person; (2) Level 6 felony if it results in: (A) harm to another person; or (B) the seizure of a firearm from another person as described in IC 35-47-14; and (3) a Level 5 felony if it results in serious bodily injury or death to another person.

Last years bill did pass 2019 HB 1651 and make some improvements to Laird law... sorry limited access can linky later if needed.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I gave HB 1152 (False Informing and Red Flag Laws, Jim Lucas) a good read last night. It amends existing false informing law as described previously, plus makes the language stronger concerning "creating a substantial risk of bodily harm" (currently it's "results in harm to another person"). I'm thinking having a SWAT team show up would create a substantial risk, SWATters beware!

Referred to Courts and Criminal Code Committee.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I had commented somewhere earlier that I had made a promise to myself that this year, I’d make a real, honest effort to go to Indy to the conference committees to show up and speak up. I’m part of the apathetic problem and I want to be more help. But I have to tell you, of the bills I’ve seen so far, the only one I feel energized to make the drive and not to mention the costs associated with going to Indy for is the one I mentioned earlier about red flag swatting.
    HB 1152!! Lunch is north of Taco Bell, south of Saint Elmo's ;)

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Which other ones are you planning on going to support (assuming none of the ugly ones make it to a hearing).

Right now HB 1152 is the only one on my Radar. The other pro-2A bills seem pretty easy to pass/not at all controversial. If any anti-2A bills (especially SB 203) somehow makes it to a hearing in committee I'll be bringing an ARC LIGHT strike to 200 W Washington.

HB 1152 is win and moves the sticks. As we see from the bill it is absolutely needed.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK INGO: HB 1152 (False Informing and Red Flag Laws) is a good thing. It's been introduced by Jim Lucas and as we learned from listening to WIBC this evening Guy Relford wrote it.

It's in the Courts and Criminal Code Committee. Put another way, this ain't the Public Policy Committee with Ben Smaltz as the Chair and Jim Lucas as a member. We can't take things for granted.

Copy/paste/edit/fix my English as needed. Link below is for the Courts and Criminal Code Committee, the Chair makes the call on what bills get a hearing. Put another way, CLEARED HOT!!

(Senator/Representative name here),
    IÂ’m writing to encourage your support for HB 1152: False Informing and Red Flag Laws.

There are currently a number of offenses specified as misdemeanors or felonies under current false informing statutes. All references specific to false informing contain words such as “knowingly provided false information” to make it a crime. HB 1152 is no exception.

HB 1152 amends current law and makes it a Class B Misdemeanor to “knowingly provide false information that an individual is dangerous” as defined in IC 35-47-14-1, better known as Indiana’s Laird Law.

In other words, HB 1152 makes it a Class B Misdemeanor if someone knowingly provided false information: that [FONT=&quot]the individual presents an imminent risk of personal injury to the individual or to another individual; or it is probable that the individual will present a risk of personal injury to the individual or to another individual in the future and the individual: has a mental illness (as defined in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]IC 12-7-2-130http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2019/ic/titles/035#12-7-2-130[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) that may be controlled by medication, and has not demonstrated a pattern of voluntarily and consistently taking the individual's medication while not under supervision; or is the subject of documented evidence that would give rise to a reasonable belief that the individual has a propensity for violent or suicidal conduct.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

HB 1152 also upgrades SWATTING to a Class A Misdemeanor, by amending “results in harm to another person” to “results in creating a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person”.

Knowingly providing false information that leads to a SWAT Team at someoneÂ’s home certainly creates a substantial risk of bodily injury.
    HB 1152 makes it a crime to falsely inform using the definition of a dangerous person in IndianaÂ’s Laird Law. It ensures vital Constitutional protections currently in false informing laws.

I know I can count on your support in passing this vital protection to law-abiding Hoosiers. Your support for HB 1152 is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Name
    Address
    Phone

House Committee on Courts and Criminal Code - Indiana General Assembly, 2020 Session

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I took a look at the committee: 9 R's, 4 D's.

Going by NRA-PVF grades the R's have 5 A's, 2 A-'s, 1 B (Cindy Ziemke, District 55, not NRA endorsed) and 1 unknown.

The D's are pretty much as expected with one exception: 2 question marks which means they didn't reply, 1 F, and a B+ (Dvorak from South Bend.)

Courts and Criminal Code has committee hearings on Wednesdays at 1030 in room 156-D (crappy room in the basement with uncomfortable chairs.)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Done. Thanks for the crib!

OK INGO: HB 1152 (False Informing and Red Flag Laws) is a good thing. It's been introduced by Jim Lucas and as we learned from listening to WIBC this evening Guy Relford wrote it.

It's in the Courts and Criminal Code Committee. Put another way, this ain't the Public Policy Committee with Ben Smaltz as the Chair and Jim Lucas as a member. We can't take things for granted.

Copy/paste/edit/fix my English as needed. Link below is for the Courts and Criminal Code Committee, the Chair makes the call on what bills get a hearing. Put another way, CLEARED HOT!!

IÂ’m writing to encourage your support for HB 1152: False Informing and Red Flag Laws.

There are currently a number of offenses specified as misdemeanors or felonies under current false informing statutes. All references specific to false informing contain words such as “knowingly provided false information” to make it a crime. HB 1152 is no exception.

HB 1152 amends current law and makes it a Class B Misdemeanor to “knowingly provide false information that an individual is dangerous” as defined in IC 35-47-14-1, better known as Indiana’s Laird Law.

In other words, HB 1152 makes it a Class B Misdemeanor if someone knowingly provided false information: that [FONT="]the individual presents an imminent risk of personal injury to the individual or to another individual; or it is probable that the individual will present a risk of personal injury to the individual or to another individual in the future and the individual: has a mental illness (as defined in [/FONT][/I][I][FONT=Calibri][URL="http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2019/ic/titles/035#12-7-2-130"][FONT="]IC 12-7-2-130[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/I][I][FONT="]) that may be controlled by medication, and has not demonstrated a pattern of voluntarily and consistently taking the individual's medication while not under supervision; or is the subject of documented evidence that would give rise to a reasonable belief that the individual has a propensity for violent or suicidal conduct.

[/FONT]
    [FONT="][/FONT]

HB 1152 also upgrades SWATTING to a Class A Misdemeanor, by amending “results in harm to another person” to “results in creating a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person”.

Knowingly providing false information that leads to a SWAT Team at someoneÂ’s home certainly creates a substantial risk of bodily injury.
    HB 1152 makes it a crime to falsely inform using the definition of a dangerous person in IndianaÂ’s Laird Law. It ensures vital Constitutional protections currently in false informing laws.

I know I can count on your support in passing this vital protection to law-abiding Hoosiers. Your support for HB 1152 is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Name
    Address
    Phone

House Committee on Courts and Criminal Code - Indiana General Assembly, 2020 Session

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

In other words, HB 1152 makes it a Class B Misdemeanor if someone knowingly provided false information: that [FONT=&quot]the individual presents an imminent risk of personal injury to the individual or to another individual; or it is probable that the individual will present a risk of personal injury to the individual or to another individual in the future and the individual: has a mental illness (as defined in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]IC 12-7-2-130http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2019/ic/titles/035#12-7-2-130[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) that may be controlled by medication, and has not demonstrated a pattern of voluntarily and consistently taking the individual's medication while not under supervision; or is the subject of documented evidence that would give rise to a reasonable belief that the individual has a propensity for violent or suicidal conduct.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Thank you,

Name
    Address
    Phone

Kelly who should we be sending this to?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    the thing is as much as I search the In.gov site I cannot find who the chair or members are.

Please list or link.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    the thing is as much as I search the In.gov site I cannot find who the chair or members are.

Please list or link.
    Go to the Indiana General assembly homepage of the top click committees once you click the committee on the left you’ll see members. The chair is at the top

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    OK, time for a quick look at some of the bills on the Senate-side.

SB-9: Target shooting liability and agritourism. Provides that a person who goes upon a premises for the purpose of target shooting does not have an assurance that the premises is safe for that purpose. Provides that a natural resource based agritourism activity includes target shooting.
    (Jim Tomes).

SB-16: (I seem to remember discussion on this in one of the bills last year.) Juvenile delinquents and firearms. Prohibits a person who has been adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act while armed with a firearm that would be a serious violent felony if committed by an adult (serious delinquent) from possessing a firearm unless the person is at least: (1) 26 years of age, in the case of less serious acts; or (2) 28 years of age, in the case of more serious acts. Makes possession of a firearm by a serious delinquent a Class A misdemeanor, and increases the penalty to a Level 6 felony for a second or subsequent offense. Prohibits the expungement of the juvenile records of a serious delinquent unless the person is at least 26 or 28 years of age, depending on the seriousness of the underlying delinquent acts. (Mike Bohacek)

SBs 28 and 29: UBCs and a vague storage law. (Stoops, D NRA-ILA F). Sounds like last year's bills, didn't see a committee hearing.

SB 69:

Possession of firearms on school property. Exempts certain law enforcement and retired law enforcement officers described in the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) from the prohibition against carrying a firearm on school property. Makes conforming amendments. (Jack Sandlin)

I'll be pushing against this one. No more "more equal" citizens. No more special carve-outs for badge-wearing civilians. Equal protection under law, as protected and guaranteed by the constitution, or nothing.

Top Bottom