• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I didn't think to take pics but here is a PSA for those in the NE Indy/Anderson/Pendleton areas. Mechanicsburg is home to a butcher shop called Maddie Moo's Custom Meats. One thing they do every year is provide a ton of ribeyes for the State Fair. They end up with a lot of ribeye trim and they've been grinding it and selling it as pre-formed burger patties. 20 to a box, vacuum sealed two at a time for $45. I went out there a few weeks back and bought a box. I used the sous vide to cook them then seared them in a cast iron skillet and they were ok. Last weekend I went back to my standard of simply grilling them and they were hands down, bar none the best burgers I've ever cooked. All I did was thaw them and grill them, no seasoning, just fire.

In the interest of full disclosure I do know the owner but I am not receiving anything for posting this and he doesn't know that I am. Just trying to share a limited opportunity for some top notch meat at a good price before its gone. I'd suggest calling to make sure they have some before making the drive but if they do I can assure you it will be worthwhile. I went out Tuesday and bought two more boxes, the freezer is full. :)
    Are they called something particular? I'm tempted to call in morning and save a couple of boxes!?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you ask about the ribeye burgers they'll know what you're talking about. I don't think they've got a particular name for them. I cooked four more today, still outstanding.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I also picked up a couple of Tri Tips while I was out at the butcher shop, decided to reverse sear one for dinner.

First was thawing with the sous vide, seems to cut thaw time in half compared to dropping bags into a sink of water. I don't have the heat going, just circulation.

XE0yWm1h.jpg

Once thawed I trimmed it up and put the magic seasoning on before putting it back in the fridge for several hours.

BtTh5DMh.jpg

I hit the grocery on my way home from running errands and picked up some veggies. Red potatoes, garlic, onion, salt, butter & parsley were vacuum sealed in one bag. Asparagus, garlic, butter & salt in the other. Dropped them into the sous vide at 190* (they're done in this pic)

Abwm36Uh.jpg

When it was time I fired up the Big Green Egg and got her coasting at 225* before putting the Tri Tip on indirect with a little pecan smoke.

YLmXIevh.jpg

A little over an hour later the TT was at 125* internal so I pulled it off, plated and tented with foil while I fired up the coals.

Ckbz17th.jpg

Not sure how hot the coals were but I gave it between 60 - 90 seconds per side to sear before pulling it off, plating and covering with foil for a ten minute rest.

OvgNRwzh.jpg

Sliced her up

D1jQ4ffh.jpg

There were no complaints!

Rd4qdDlh.jpg

Freeborn Man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Memphis, IN
    My first ever brisket. Cooked in a Weber Kettle with a Slow and Sear. I have to say it was the best brisket that I've ever had. The family enjoyed it too. I was always reluctant to make one because the BBQ places around here were hit and miss as far as taste and they were usually dried out. So, I didn't want to waste $60 on a piece of meat that I wasn't going to be happy with. Very glad that I tried it. It was a 13 pound packer, dry brined for 24 hours. I used a simple rub with olive oil for the binder. Sooo gooood LOL

20170827_070621.jpg 20170827_113230.jpg

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    What's the average price on a whole brisket around Indy?

I'm out in SoDak and have seen them at the grocery for $2.99/lb. Don't know if that is a good price or not, but I've got enough dry ice to bring one home.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What's the average price on a whole brisket around Indy?

I'm out in SoDak and have seen them at the grocery for $2.99/lb. Don't know if that is a good price or not, but I've got enough dry ice to bring one home.

I'd do unspeakable things to find brisket for $2.99/lb around Indy..... All I can ever seem to find is upwards of $6 or $7 per lb.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I got brisket from a local shop that raises their own beef and was thrilled to get it for $4.80 a pound!

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I'd do unspeakable things to find brisket for $2.99/lb around Indy..... All I can ever seem to find is upwards of $6 or $7 per lb.

^this.

I used to purchase about 300lbs/week for the restaurant from a wholesale distributor and never saw $2.99/lb.

I got brisket from a local shop that raises their own beef and was thrilled to get it for $4.80 a pound!

Well, you all convinced me. Looks like I'll be bringing home a brisket...:rockwoot:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was at GFS (Shadeland Ave) on Saturday morning and they had brisket for like 2.99, pork butts for 1.79 and whole pork loin for 1.99. I picked up a pork butt and a pork loin. But I hemhawed around and let my wife talk me out of buying the brisket too. I may go back and pick one up

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    GFS has been running in the 2.79-3.00 range for a while now for choice whole packers. Costco has been 2.99-3.50 for prime. Most everything you find at the grocery store is a trimmed piece of flat at some sort of obscene price.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    |||| edited to add. I just looked at my GFS receipt from Friday. MY BRISKET WAS 2.49 A LB. 13lb brisket ran me 33.14 after tax!!!!||||||

as stated above I always buy at Sam's or GFS. They are actually very reasonably priced. My last 2 were 13 lb's each and 2.99 a lb. I personally think Sam's club are better but with a bit of trimming gfs work just fine. The first few briskets I bought from local markets were in the 70 dollar range and taste no different imo.

Pics of what I cooked yesterday. This was a GFS brisket and Sam's club pork shoulder. Well there is more but apparently photobucket finely caught up to me lol

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Or not yet lol here are the other pics from yesterday. Only thing left was some pork shoulder and mac and cheese. Brisket and burnt ends were demolished pretty quickly lol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom