• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Bumping this back up, I'm looking for a nice rub for a smoked prime rib. My lovely wife wants me to do a prime rib on the Egg for Christmas dinner, and this will be my first try at one of these!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I just use my standard favorite rub. And top.it off with a coarse grind salt pepper garlic rub to give that crunch and appearance. Prime rib can be tricky. I would recommend a test run just to make sure you got it dialed in.

Edited to add make sure you don't over cook it or it will be worthless. I pull mine 125-130. For a nice medium rare. Give it a good rest and boom deliciousness

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Bumping this back up, I'm looking for a nice rub for a smoked prime rib. My lovely wife wants me to do a prime rib on the Egg for Christmas dinner, and this will be my first try at one of these!
    I agree with a test run, only because I’m free most weekends to sample! Seriously though, salt, pepper, and garlic make it about as good as can be. Penney’s spices sells an English Prime Rib rub I’ve used before, and it’s pretty tasty. Makes good burgers as well. Grunt soldier is correct, pull sooner rather than later, 125* is where I like, and I can up temp with boiling aujus for those among us that like their meat ruined.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    +3 on pulling prime rib sooner than later. As Vigilant said, hot au jus (or 20 seconds a side in a warm skillet) adjust temp and appearance for those who prefer more cooked.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Another vote for the salt/pepper/garlic combo on a prime rib. That hunk of meat has so much flavor of its own that it doesn’t need much assistance.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    At the risk of sounding lazy, Costco and Kroger usually offer a pre-seasoned/rubbed boneless rib roast around this time of year. It’s usually coated in a salt, pepper, and garlic paste, and it really isn’t too bad for off the cuff let’s do this sorta days. One other way I love Prime Rib is salt pepper and garlic folded into softened butter(a couple pounds) to make a soft compound butter, then spread the mixture all over the Rib until it looks like a huge lump of butter, toss it on the grill and let’er eat.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I cook with a Flame Boss and have gotten pretty good with holding the temperatures I want. Did a beef tenderloin last night, smoked it at 250°, pulled it at internal temp of 135°, it was a perfect medium rare, and oh so delicious!

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Did some ribs last night...:drool:

JXmRcN5.jpg

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Was looking at getting a Tappecue Wifi for $150 to replace my iGrill 2 that has been less than impressive. Should I just skip the Tappecue and get a Flameboss? I use a Akorn Kamado atm.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Was looking at getting a Tappecue Wifi for $150 to replace my iGrill 2 that has been less than impressive. Should I just skip the Tappecue and get a Flameboss? I use a Akorn Kamado atm.

I have had good results with my BBQ Guru. I hear great things about Flame Boss as well. I am not familiar with the Tappecue...

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    With what I have into mavericks and an igrill, I would probably go with a digital temp control before anything else. I do a lot of overnight cooks and it would allow me to rest much easier.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    With what I have into mavericks and an igrill, I would probably go with a digital temp control before anything else.

I haven't really dug into it to be sure, but wouldn't the flameboss be able to replace the the igrill or mavericks while also providing temp stability?

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood

I have the Flame Boss 300, and absolutely love it! However, it seems on major holidays, like this last Thanksgiving, their server overloaded and shut down most of the morning. This didn't effect the use of the unit, just the ability to monitor it remotely. Wasn't a big deal for me, I was home and able to walk out on the porch and check it every half hour or so.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Just fyi I renewed my Costco membership today. USDA Prime brisket for like 2.85 a lb! Got 14 lber for 40 bucks. That's damn nice. Makes the membership worth it alone lol on top of the good bourbon for cheap and cash monies back lol.

Top Bottom