• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    So a couple weeks ago, I decided to start carrying my 1911. The problem I ran into wasn't that it was too heavy or too big or too unconcealable, it's just too pretty!!! I carried it in a King Tuk, everything was great till I noticed it was covered in sweat while I was working outside in this heat. While the 1911 is a great pistol, there is something to be said about a Glock being so ugly. I can carry it, sweat on it, bump it against stuff and just not care......When I field stripped to clean, I realized sweat had been running into the slide stop and corroding it. I understand if I had been wearing an undershirt, this may not have happened, but it was like 600 degrees out. Has anyone else not carried a certain gun do to being too nice??

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Not necessarily, but I have guns I carry for certain purposes. I have guns I'll carry while hunting that I don't carry to go to town. Similarly, there are ones I'll carry while working in conditions such as you mentioned that I wouldn't use my best 1911 for. Different uses get different tools.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are some nice 1911's out there, but not too nice for me to carry.

If it troubles me to carry a certain gun for risk of blemishing, I'll save up some money to buy another just like it. And just shoot it at the range sometimes.

If not possible to buy another, just remember all the cool options Cerakote can help us with.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have more than one i have bought to carry but decided they were to nice. I still carry a 1911 but it is a little less fancy then the others.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have more than one i have bought to carry but decided they were to nice. I still carry a 1911 but it is a little less fancy then the others.

Allen nailed it. I have some super fancy beautiful 1911s but in bad weather I carry an old beater that's as dependable as any you'd ever want. It's not pretty and shows it's years but it's my "Go To" EDC.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it is corroding you did not have enough lube on it..................:):

Pick up a beater....give it to AllenM and let him coat it and work the internals. It will not be as pretty (maybe) as a some but it will run as well or better I guarantee.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I do the same thing as the OP. I love my 1911s, but tend to carry a Glock in the summer. I can crawl around under a car and scratch the heck out of it and it still looks like a Glock. I can sweat soak the thing and it does can not make it look worse. I will carry either a 1911 or CZ Compact if I'm not expecting to crawl around and get sweat all over it. I don't like to abuse any of my 1911s whether it's my RIA or my Kimber. Given the hissy fit a lot of 1911 guys get into over the idiot scratch, I'm surprised that more don't do the same thing. Glocks make great beater guns.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I'm not sure if maybe it's a downside to scandium or what, I got the SC cause of ease of carry. Maybe I need to OWB in the summer, I've been looking at OWB rigs hoping to solve the problem

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carried one daily for about three years. Yeah, it got some nicks, scrapes, and holster wear. I've yet to own a gun I wouldn't carry or shoot.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I carried one daily for about three years. Yeah, it got some nicks, scrapes, and holster wear. I've yet to own a gun I wouldn't carry or shoot.

Nicks, scrapes and wear add character, corrosion and rust not so much. And the 1911 platform seems to have lots of nooks and crannies for sweat to seep into that go unnoticed

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Guys, guns are not jewelry. These are tools for killing. You carry the gun that you trust to save your life, not matter how many scratches it has. Seriously, the guy who looks down the end of your barrel won't notice them. If you worry about scratching up your Volkmann Precision 1911, then just buy two and leave one in the safe. That will cost you only eight thousand dollars.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My 1911 is a tool to me. It gets used. It's well worn but very well maintained. It gets cleaned and lubed every few weeks and around once a year it gets totally stripped down and throughly cleaned and inspected. I clean it after 50 or so rounds if I shoot at the range. Buy another 1911 to carry or to cherrish but for gosh sakes don't swap out for a glock! Shame on you! :nono:

I am going to take it down to Allen's and show mine a little love. It's earned it. I am hopeful the Cerikote will wear better then the parkerizing. I want it flat black all the way babe! I have ther shiney guns to impress those at the range!

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Guys, guns are not jewelry. These are tools for killing. You carry the gun that you trust to save your life, not matter how many scratches it has. Seriously, the guy who looks down the end of your barrel won't notice them. If you worry about scratching up your Volkmann Precision 1911, then just buy two and leave one in the safe. That will cost you only eight thousand dollars.

+1 anybody have toolbox queen hammer?

Top Bottom