• 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nor carrying it enough.

I am not happy with the durability of Ceracoat. Anyone familiar with tougher coatings? Ionbond?

If it's not a stainless gun, you can get good performance out of Duracoat if you either parkerize the gun or even cold blue it first. I've had some Duracoat finished perform terribly and other perform very well. My son's CZ 75 is not doing well but my CZ 75 is doing very well with Duracoat. The difference between the two is I cold blued my frame before I applied Duracoat. On that gun, the Duracoat is holding up better than the Cerakote on my Sig Scorpion. The Ceracote finish looks better with a flatter finish compared to the satin of the Duracoat, but the Duracoat is wearing better. Then again, the Scorpion is a stainless gun which may be contributing to the durability of the finish applied over top of it.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If it's not a stainless gun, you can get good performance out of Duracoat if you either parkerize the gun or even cold blue it first. I've had some Duracoat finished perform terribly and other perform very well. My son's CZ 75 is not doing well but my CZ 75 is doing very well with Duracoat. The difference between the two is I cold blued my frame before I applied Duracoat. On that gun, the Duracoat is holding up better than the Cerakote on my Sig Scorpion. The Ceracote finish looks better with a flatter finish compared to the satin of the Duracoat, but the Duracoat is wearing better. Then again, the Scorpion is a stainless gun which may be contributing to the durability of the finish applied over top of it.

Tim,
    I certainly am not trying to start an armchair quarter back thing but since I am pro Cerakote I have to respond with my experiences as well. :)
    Plus this video, even though it is produced by Cerakote I think it is done pretty well and unbiasedly.

Cerakote Taber Abrasion Test (ASTM D4060) - YouTube

I have used Duracoat a little, KG Gunkote and Cerakote quite a bit.
    I have probably removed more duracoat than applying it and a good soaking in Acetone and it blisters off like uncatalyzed enamel.
    I forget the brand but I recently did a color change on a brand new AR upper and Lower, Gun had not even been assembled yet and during the Acetone bath the paint blistered off. I thought since these were custom AR parts that giving the manufacture a heads up was in order. They said they were using Duracoat.
    Actually I guess I don't like Duracoat after reading my post :(
    I did catch your comment about parkerizing or bluing first playing a part I admit I haven't tried that. But my days of using Duracoat are over so I doubt I will either.

from what the video shows my experience with the different finishes coincides with these test results. I also try to double coat the high wear areas.

On a side note, I priced Equipment to do ION bond finishing because it is popular and tougher than pretty much any spray on finish but the equipment starts at $850,000.00 and goes up from there. So thats out of the question.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I carried 30 years on the job, and never had a problem with rust thanks to a product called RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease). I cut ovals about 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" out of old flannel shirts, made my own RIG rags. Wiping the piece off before turning in every night kept it free from rust. The bore and chambers were wiped out about once a week; more in July thru Sept. 43 years later you would not believe it was carried every day and has more than 18,000 rounds thru it. I carried the RIG rag in a 35mm film can in case I pulled all night surveillance. It works.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to the thread OP....one of the issues I have with this platform is.........wait on it.....I never have enough. 1 is to many and 5 is short of my goal.

Dura coat is not as tough as Ceracoat.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Tim,
    I certainly am not trying to start an armchair quarter back thing but since I am pro Cerakote I have to respond with my experiences as well. :)
    Plus this video, even though it is produced by Cerakote I think it is done pretty well and unbiasedly.

Cerakote Taber Abrasion Test (ASTM D4060) - YouTube

I have used Duracoat a little, KG Gunkote and Cerakote quite a bit.
    I have probably removed more duracoat than applying it and a good soaking in Acetone and it blisters off like uncatalyzed enamel.
    I forget the brand but I recently did a color change on a brand new AR upper and Lower, Gun had not even been assembled yet and during the Acetone bath the paint blistered off. I thought since these were custom AR parts that giving the manufacture a heads up was in order. They said they were using Duracoat.
    Actually I guess I don't like Duracoat after reading my post :(
    I did catch your comment about parkerizing or bluing first playing a part I admit I haven't tried that. But my days of using Duracoat are over so I doubt I will either.

from what the video shows my experience with the different finishes coincides with these test results. I also try to double coat the high wear areas.

On a side note, I priced Equipment to do ION bond finishing because it is popular and tougher than pretty much any spray on finish but the equipment starts at $850,000.00 and goes up from there. So thats out of the question.

I really should have said that Duracoat can be durable and left it at that. In retrospect, I cannot really say that Duracoat is more durable that Cerakote even though I have Duracoat finishes that seem to be holding up better than Cerakote finishes, because I'm comparing apples to oranges. The only Cerakote gun I have is a Sig stainless 1911. The only Duracoat guns I have are all carbon steel guns. Stainless, like aluminum, can be tough to get finishes to stick to without the right equipment, which is probably why we like stainless so much. Duracoat applied over parkerizing or bluing can be durable for a home finish. I have had Duracoat finishes fail though. I did a CZ 75 for my son and that one just did not hold up well at all. It was done over bare steel with nothing to give the paint something to bite. But, the Cerakote finish on the Scorpion looks a lot better than my attempt at a matte finish with Duracoat.

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Duracoat does usually have more mil thickness. I would assume that may contribute to better wear characteristics if it is applied correctly.

Top Bottom