• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    If a threat needs stopped, I will use whatever is at my immediate disposal to accomplish that task regardless of the typical uses, warnings or disclaimers of the items I choose to employ.

We'll have time to play court later if it all works out.

Or how it's marketed... If that matters, the shooter has much bigger legal hurdles than his or her choice of ammunition. That being said, I will always carry ammo commonly carried by local LE. Who cares if it's a few bucks more? Once you know it runs OK in your SD gun, it's not like you have to shoot tons of it.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    If there was a disclaimer on your baseball bat that said "Probably shouldn't hit human beings in the head with this." and someone broke into your house and you were un-armed, what would you do?

Hopefully, beat the hell out of them with it, I would.

There should be a "by any means necessary." law when it comes to defending your home/life. We know that will never happen.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I spraypainted my rifles with flat earth tone colors, does that count?

uh oh...I'm in trouble now...I've got an FDE firearm...
    does that mean a prosecutor will argue that I delusionally think I'm still in the sandbox?
    (I was never in the military)

I bet I should also go through my DVD collection and get rid of any shoot-em-up movies...just in case...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What about the guys who decorate their Glocks and shotguns with green biohazard symbols, punisher backplates, and "Zombie Response Team" logos...???

What about 'em? I wish their parents would have let them have a few decent toys when they were kids so they wouldn't be acting out like this as "adults", but I don't have a time machine.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What about 'em? I wish their parents would have let them have a few decent toys when they were kids so they wouldn't be acting out like this as "adults", but I don't have a time machine.

Oh... Sure... BLAME THE PARENTS!!!:rolleyes: Nobody is responsible anymore... You're just a liberal:stickpoke: in disguise!;)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Oh... Sure... BLAME THE PARENTS!!!:rolleyes: Nobody is responsible anymore... You're just a liberal:stickpoke: in disguise!;)

Just because parents aren't always to blame doesn't mean that they aren't sometimes to blame...with the mall ninja contingent leading the charge with "finally, I can get neato stuff".

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I don't do anything to make my lawyers job any harder keeping me out of prison..... Unless I have a darn good reason to take extra risks of going to prison after a justified shoot, I don't do it. I agree with what Kirk said farther up, but I also think using an ammo that is labeled similar to this is just going to give my lawyer one more challenge, or give a juror one more reason to believe the prosecutor that I am less than a good person who just did what they had to do to survive. I saw them a while and they were recommended by the gun store guy for personal defense, I told him there was no way I was going to use an ammo for self defense that was marketed like that. I would use my Black Talon ammo before I would use that ammo. I agree with another post here, if you are using ammo used by law enforcement all over the country, it would be hard for the prosecutor to use that as against me successfully.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just because parents aren't always to blame doesn't mean that they aren't sometimes to blame...with the mall ninja contingent leading the charge with "finally, I can get neato stuff".

To HoughMade,
    In reality I agree. I just couldn't resist as you opened that door AWFUL wide.:cool: Besides, if I didn't get in right away someone else:ingo: would have.

Your logic was attempted a few years ago by a coalition of college deans begging states to lower the drinking age to 18. They are getting sick and tired of trying to handle kids who, for the first time, are completely out from under the thumb of mommy and daddy helicopter parents and binge drink once they arrive on campus. Alas, they failed mightily in their attempt.:(

Regards,

Doug

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I know Ayoob is well-respected, but he has some goofy advice. If it's determined to be a good shoot then the color of the ammo tip won't matter. If you install a lighter trigger to improve accuracy it isn't going to look like you were carrying a hair trigger just waiting to pop somebody. Those are the two biggest pieces of advice I've seen from him that made no sense. He seems to have no historical proof of things but likes to play "what-if" a lot.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I bought some .17, .20, and .22 caliber Z-Max bullets because they were cheaper than V-Max. Hope the prairie dogs don't want to sue me! Sometimes we are worse than the people we bad-mouth in the knee-jerk reaction category! :runaway:

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I bought some .17, .20, and .22 caliber Z-Max bullets because they were cheaper than V-Max. Hope the prairie dogs don't want to sue me! Sometimes we are worse than the people we bad-mouth in the knee-jerk reaction category! :runaway:

Please read the label on the bullets. They are only meant to be used on zombie prairie dogs, not living ones. Geez... some people. :dunno:

On a side note, I never quite fully realized how destructive prairie dogs can be until I saw them in person. I travel to Denver for work periodically and there is now a colony of prairie dogs that have taken over the area right before you get to the actual airport (right in front of the gas station and car rental return area). Man, those things can really dig up a place. I've never actually seen a live one before that (in person that is), despite having traveled around a decent portion of the country. I guess I should spend more time out west.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    There's no warning on the bullet boxes. Apparently reloaders are exempt. Calling a prairie dog destructive is being kind to them. My brother is a Baptist preacher in Sterling, CO and had occasion to do a grave side service in Denver a few years ago. A prairie dog town had expanded into the cemetery and there were hundreds of mounds amid the tomb stones. They also resulted in the closure of a golf course near Denver. Went from 18 holes to 1800 holes. It's hard to explain an established dog town to somebody who has never seen one. From this satellite view of a South Dakota dog town we last shot three years ago, you can't tell which ones may be zombies but each little white dot is a mound at a burrow entrance. The area shown is probably 15-20 acres and is not one of the more populous dog towns we've seen.

DogTown.png

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Please read the label on the bullets. They are only meant to be used on zombie prairie dogs, not living ones. Geez... some people. :dunno:

On a side note, I never quite fully realized how destructive prairie dogs can be until I saw them in person. I travel to Denver for work periodically and there is now a colony of prairie dogs that have taken over the area right before you get to the actual airport (right in front of the gas station and car rental return area). Man, those things can really dig up a place. I've never actually seen a live one before that (in person that is), despite having traveled around a decent portion of the country. I guess I should spend more time out west.

While I was going to school in S.D., my roommate and I knew a rancher that bought ammo for us to come out and get rid of these pests. His cattle would step in the holes, break a leg and lay in the middle of nowhere to starve. I'm sure losing cattle cost him a ton of money. You don't really know joy until you see what 7mm Rem. Mag does to a prairie dog at 100 yds...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    There's no warning on the bullet boxes. Apparently reloaders are exempt. Calling a prairie dog destructive is being kind to them. My brother is a Baptist preacher in Sterling, CO and had occasion to do a grave side service in Denver a few years ago. A prairie dog town had expanded into the cemetery and there were hundreds of mounds amid the tomb stones. They also resulted in the closure of a golf course near Denver. Went from 18 holes to 1800 holes. It's hard to explain an established dog town to somebody who has never seen one. From this satellite view of a South Dakota dog town we last shot three years ago, you can't tell which ones may be zombies but each little white dot is a mound at a burrow entrance. The area shown is probably 15-20 acres and is not one of the more populous dog towns we've seen.

A few years ago I was working on a rescue plan for Wind and Jewel caves out in South Dakota and while I was out there I got to help release black footed ferrets that were being reintroduced to the area. They love eating the p-dogs and are silent death in the tunnels and the near-extinction of the ferrets were part of why p-dogs have become such a huge pest. I keep tabs on them through biologist friends in the park and the last census showed the population increasing.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I know Ayoob is well-respected, but he has some goofy advice. If it's determined to be a good shoot then the color of the ammo tip won't matter. If you install a lighter trigger to improve accuracy it isn't going to look like you were carrying a hair trigger just waiting to pop somebody. Those are the two biggest pieces of advice I've seen from him that made no sense. He seems to have no historical proof of things but likes to play "what-if" a lot.

I'd agree if good/bad shoot was always obvious. Unfortunately, it rarely is. To me, it's wise to eliminate any variables that don't offer much benefit but could be used against you. Most of us only shoot enough SD ammo to make sure that we can be accurate and it works in our gun, so why take the risk or do something to save a couple of bucks? Is the standard trigger really that hard to pull? The purpose of carrying a gun (or keeping for home defense) is to minimize risk; adding to the risk just doesn't make any sense.

Top Bottom