Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I am not a lawyer but I sure do believe Hornady took a giant dump on their customers and their company by putting this on there.

I personally think it IS funny and cute, just fine for a guy reloading his own stuff.

That said, in todays climate I would think a case could be made for the owners state of mind, showing "a clear disregard for safety, human life, and responsibility by ignoring a warning label the ammunition company has thought relevant enough to put on their packaging. Apparently, the shooter is completely lacking in exercising good judgement for using this ammunition for a purpose that is specifically prohibited by the warning label."

^^^ Nonsense? Yes. 100%. But this could be used on an ignorant juror to put some poor sap in hot water.

I just wonder what Hornady was thinking? I understand the funny side, but shouldn't marketing or legal have stepped in somewhere and said, "Hey fella's, this is cute but you might want to reconsider..."

Or am I too paranoid?

Regards,

Doug

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    It's why, to my students and those that have inquired, I typically recommend using the same defensive ammo that LE uses and, to the extent possible, the same ammunition the Local or County PD's use.

Does it 'matter'? Maybe not. But, as there is such a wide variety 'approved and used' by LE agencies, why bother raising the issue in the first place?

Is it possible a loony, over-zealous (read anti-civilian-owning guns, a.k.a. "libtard") Prosecutor could make it an issue? Easily. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the Defendant has demonstrated (or further demonstrated) the lack of value he places on human life. In fact, the Defendant shot the victim (a good boy just getting ready to turn his life around) with 'Zombie' ammo, indicating that the Defendant has such a low regard for the value of human life, he perceives those he might encounter as 'zombies', as non-human, as people to be killed as being 'sub-human'!"

And IANAL, and not nearly as sophisticated as said 'loony Prosecutor'. Yet, even *I* could make such a 'valid' argument, and get the jury to buy into it. And if I can do it, you damn well bet any Prosecutor half worth their salt could do it, and much better than my lousy example.

Is that 'ridiculous'? When it's potentially YOUR life, lifestyle (home, bank accounts, etc.), and liberty in question, why risk it in the first place? Since there's so many viable alternatives already in use by the law enforcement agencies in your area (and can be expanded to State and Federal agencies, if needed), it would appear a better option simply not to bother potentially making it an issue.

JMO. YMMV.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A good defense lawyer should be able to object to this rather quickly. I still shoot whatever ammo is handy.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. I don't like the cutesy b.s. ammo, but it's a free country.

2. You just shot a fellow human, worry about what happened. What is printed on the ammo box is way down on the list of stuff to worry about.

Train so you do not have to fight and put yourself in a position to find out if this matters.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    1. I don't like the cutesy b.s. ammo, but it's a free country.

2. You just shot a fellow human, worry about what happened. What is printed on the ammo box is way down on the list of stuff to worry about.

Train so you do not have to fight and put yourself in a position to find out if this matters.
    I'd have to agree with this, I believe there are better hollow points out there than critical defense/zombie max anyway.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    From the article itself:

While I can’t think of a case where something like this has happened, a prosecutor can certainly make something out of this, regardless of the fact that the ammo tip is simply a different color. They can make something out of anything they want, really.

Translation: I need something to talk about to get clicks.

Scroll through the IC related to use of deadly force and highlight all the instances of type of ammunition allowed and you'll have highlighted zero instances. Good shoots are good shoots, regardless of ammo type. Bad shoots are bad shoots, regardless of ammo type.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    What a STUPID disclaimer...no shooting MINERALS either--not even the dirt in a backstop? If I spent the extra cash to buy the funny gimmick ammo box, it wouldn't be funny, but with this disclaimer, there's no way I'd buy this stuff.
    FWIW in an interview at the NRA convention last year, Ayoob said that the 'zombie' gimmick could create legal problems if you used it for self defense. That's coming from the east coast, but why roll the dice?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I will never understand the mentality of people who buy this junk. But what is really disturbing is a jury who would listen to a prosecutor trying to make a big deal about they type of ammo used in a shooting.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If a threat needs stopped, I will use whatever is at my immediate disposal to accomplish that task regardless of the typical uses, warnings or disclaimers of the items I choose to employ.

We'll have time to play court later if it all works out.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Listen to me. It was on sale.

- but

Shut up!

I told you, it was on sale.

- it wasn't...

Didn't hear what you said, don't want to.

...IT WAS ON SALE.

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If you shoot someone with your Zombie ammo, just rub dirt all over the dead guy and put ketchup on his shirt before the cops get there.

Once they see him, they'll understand your choice of ammo.

Top Bottom