• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man. I have a cricket I was given and every time I shoot it I'm afraid I'm going to shoot myself in the ass. It's THAT inaccurate.

...of course, it's never been cleaned by me, so maybe that's it. Lol

I hear ya, I personally cannot hit anything with it! Too short, too light, to heavy of a trigger,etc. But, man can my little boy stack them up with it! I guess that goes to show what gun fit does for accuracy ;).

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Several years back I took my fiance-back-then out shooting and was on the 25 yard pistol range at CERAland (before the nice rebuilt one), and she was having a hard time hitting the target, and she was irritated and told me that maybe the scope or something was bad... Think it was my little Marlin 25N bolt-action, 3-9x scope or something like that

I took it and proceeded to shoot each thumbtack out of the corner of the target that was holding it to the backing board...

"Looks fine to me"

My old couch was uncomfortable...

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    My old man showed me up with a trick shot one time. 40 yards measured, I had set up a clay pigeon. He pulled out his Kel Tec P32 and said he could hit it. I told him it was impossible, and of course, he hit it first shot.

Classic.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    These stories are why I come to this site. Great work guys.

I haven't done much, but I had a 7-yard bullseye with my first round from a non-shotgun. I was proud. I also managed to hit a metal pole that wasn't even visible at the atterbury range. They said it was "to hold up the targets", but I was still
    Proud for finding the hidden target.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    I hit a 5 gallon bucket at 200 yards with a full size 1911. Esrice and Lovemywoods saw it. They've also seen me not able to do it again...

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    When my son was 10 or 11 years old, he made a shot I will always remember.

We lived in the country at the time. He and I noticed a hornet's nest near the top of a tree, perhaps 30-35 feet high. We didn't want the basketball sized nest anywhere near the barn so we decided to try to shoot it down.

He took a Ruger 10/22 with iron sights, took aim, and fired one shot. The nest dropped straight to the ground. I couldn't believe it. He had sheared the one branch that was holding the nest aloft! :rockwoot:

This story is multiple layers of cool for me as I know your son.... :D

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I don't consider myself a great shooter, but I do have my moments.

Moment #1:
    Two shots into the same dime, from 100-yards, with a Remington 700 Police .308 Win.
    2shots1dime.jpg

Moment #2
    Hit the neck of a steel .223 casing dead center, from 25-yards with my GSG1911 .22 caliber, on the first shot.
    gsg1911on223casing.jpg

Moment #3
    One handed shot at 20-yards, from my GSG1911 .22 caliber, on the center of a steel swinger, on the first shot.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kEggeo1itg&feature=related[/ame]

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    At the 50 yard range shooting my .22 at a 1qt. Marvel Mystery oil can. With scope, leaning against post, shot the lid of the can while it was laying down. Nice little red target to aim at! Those cans made the best 'thunk' sound.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I knew a couple of guys in grad school that were hard core tactical. They invited me to shoot one day so I packed my hunting guns and went out with them. During the day they found a golf ball in their vehicle and decided it would make a good target. They set it on an aluminum pole at about 125 yards and took aim with their AR-15s. They both went through a mag without hitting it. I started giving them grief and it was suddenly put up or shut up time. I had never shot an AR or anything with ghost ring sights until that lucky shot. One pull of the trigger and the golf ball exploded. They called lucky BS shot, so I proceeded to put the next three shots on the aluminum pole. They never criticized my shooting again. :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have a couple "lucky" shots vs. trick shots.

When I was about 14 or so we were at a friends house for a little get-together. He runs a landscaping business from home and is always fighting rabbits that eat the plants he grows. While we were there a rabbit came up into the yard and he made a comment about wishing he could get rid of the rabbits. I told him I could take care of that one for him. We grabbed the SKS out of the truck and walked towards the rabbit. Got to about 75 yards and it bolted on us. Right before it ran out of sight I popped off a shot and it tumbled, spilling it's gut all over the yard. That 7.62X39 ripped that rabbit wide open with a COM shot.

When I was about 20, shortly after getting my first handgun, I was headed out to scout for deer at the family farm. Dad had mentioned having problems with cats coming in the farm shop and crapping all over the floor. He had one trained cat that would go outside to the bathroom and was only around to eat mice. He said any cat other than that was free game. On my way out to scout I saw a strange cat about 100 yards away, and decided to take care of it. I had my P229 on my side, but it was under my coveralls. The cat was 5 feet from the corn field and head in. I quickly unzipped my coveralls and kept my eyes on the cat. It disappeared into the corn just as I cleared leather. I aimed and fired where I estimated the cat should be if it maintained it's course. I thought I had missed because there wasn't any movement and there was such a small change of hitting the cat blindly at 100 yards. I walked up to the field, and there, 2 rows in, lay the cat. It looked untouched, I couldn't find any wounds. I flipped the cat over with my foot and saw the wound. I hit the cat with a clean head shot, the bullet entered right at the base of the ear and exited when the other half of the cats head disintegrated when the .40 Gold-dot made contact. A 100 yard, blind headshot on a cat... that was luck, I will admit it.

Last one, when I was younger, 14 maybe, we were sighting in slug guns a couple weeks before deer season. We didn't have a good target so we took a stick and stuck it in the field at 75 yards, and stuck a piece of white, 4" drainage tile over it as our target. We painted the top 4 inches orange so our target was 4"X4". Dad asked us if we thought he could hit it from the hip with his Mossberg 500. We didn't think it was possible. First shot, from the hip was dead center in the target. We were amazed.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Back in the early 80's I had gotten a Lyman Great Plains Rifle that was very accurate. I aged it, browned it, put on the period correct fixed sights etc...(ah to be 19 and full of my own sense of what is truley "correct" again). Any way an old school buckskinner blew me away by splitting playing cards in half and busting two clays on either side of a double bit axe. I was impressed and said "Man, I hope I can do that someday." He laughed and said how about now?

I was able to do both on the first try AFTER he told me the secret. Now I laugh every time I see a "trick shot" or "top shot" show where this is done in slow motion and they talk about how hard it is. It's not hard at all. "Aim at the card until the card disappears then shoot." like he said, with a .50 roundball you have one inch of error. But the guy on TV words it like this, "I am shooting a target less than 1/250 of an inch thick, whew, let's see if I can do this." It's fun, I guess for spilling secrets I will be drummed out of the "trickshot union" but thought I would share.

The best trick shot I ever saw was done by my cousin Eddie about 30 years ago. We were rabbit hunting near Salem and we flushed a quail who flew right into the side of an abandoned outbuilding 10 yards from us and died instantly. My cousin calmly picked up the bird and said, "Less damage that way." and put it in his pouch like that was his plan after all. He had me going for a minute or so.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Back in the early 80's I had gotten a Lyman Great Plains Rifle that was very accurate. I aged it, browned it, put on the period correct fixed sights etc...(ah to be 19 and full of my own sense of what is truley "correct" again). Any way an old school buckskinner blew me away by splitting playing cards in half and busting two clays on either side of a double bit axe. I was impressed and said "Man, I hope I can do that someday." He laughed and said how about now?

I was able to do both on the first try AFTER he told me the secret. Now I laugh every time I see a "trick shot" or "top shot" show where this is done in slow motion and they talk about how hard it is. It's not hard at all. "Aim at the card until the card disappears then shoot." like he said, with a .50 roundball you have one inch of error. But the guy on TV words it like this, "I am shooting a target less than 1/250 of an inch thick, whew, let's see if I can do this." It's fun, I guess for spilling secrets I will be drummed out of the "trickshot union" but thought I would share.

The best trick shot I ever saw was done by my cousin Eddie about 30 years ago. We were rabbit hunting near Salem and we flushed a quail who flew right into the side of an abandoned outbuilding 10 yards from us and died instantly. My cousin calmly picked up the bird and said, "Less damage that way." and put it in his pouch like that was his plan after all. He had me going for a minute or so.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    trick shot

around 1976,rabbit hunting,covey of quail gets up,3 shots,3 quail,time to go home.Too bad no witness.

There are 3 sides to every story

Yours
    Mine
    The Truth
    :rolleyes::n00b:

Top Bottom