Your Favorite cheap Handgun that everyone else thinks is Junk and makes fun of.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    When I first got an auto loader 9mm I had zero cash that was not for thrown at the ladies or bartender.

Star had the 9mm BM. Heavy for it size. Not a lot of rounds but it worked and was pretty accurate. Traded it off at some time and wish I still had it. New surplus price to me was under 100 dollars. It spent a lot of time in a truck glove box and in the garage tool box top right drawer. Nobody seemed to laugh at it because of the 1911 look.

Llama made some interesting items in the cheap range. Bersa with the PPK copies which fit the hands very well. While shooting others bersa’s and llamas they seem to have either over harden firing pins or extractors as I replaced several for buddies who had them.

The Jennings 22 listed had so many companies made them some are great and some not so much. I think somewhere in the parts box is a version with no spring or rod.

If I was looking for a inexpensive backup/carry/glovebox/tool box drawer style gun the star would be one I would look at.
    I have a Star BM. It is remarkably accurate. Even shot it at 2 gun once or twice.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    Like the Jennings there were so many charter arms companies. Quality can vary as to when they were made. Charter arms charter arms inc. Charter 2000 ect.
    the one in 44 special brings a very nice premium in the used market I have traded them up twice because someone had the have the 44 special because it is well special.
    yep, I only buy the first and third generation, the second has fit and finish problems

Oneofus1

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2018
    Ft wayne
    honestly i have a colt single action that i will carry in the woods, people all the time make a comment about it, however, they typcially arent carrying anything so i don't put much weight in their words

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Taurus 24/7 G2 in 9mm. Despite the memes, I ran a 300rd tactical training course with it with no malfunctions (other than the ones we deliberately caused in order to practice clearing them)

Honorable mention is my wife's Kel-Tec PMR30. You have to baby it while breaking it in, but after that its probably the most fun thing to shoot that we own

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Not a handgun, but the Marlin (or even Westernfield) 22 bolt action rifles like the 780/781/880/881 have always impressedme. I've shot several over the years, and still own the Westernfield that my dad handed down to me. Having been an avid small bore 3 position shooter, I've used some EXTREMELY good 22 rifles. The Marlin triggers suck, but the rifles have all been tack drivers. All of them were capable of bug hole groups at 50 yds with match ammo. At $150 in the mid 90s (last one I purchased), they shot as good as any of the "precision" rifles I see the youtubers shooting these days.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    SAR 9

Ergo like an HK VP9 and exhaustively tested.
    Got mine for $240.
    Same here, you get the PSA deal with the $30 rebate like I did? Pop it apart and you would swear it was a Glock inside. Haven't had a chance to shoot it much yet but that target crowned bbl and one reviewer hitting steel torso targets at 200 yards tells me it probably shoots a hell of a lot better than I do. People put Turkish guns down but the ones I have examined were all well made.

Also the Taurus PT111 G2, bought 3 of them. First one I showed to my sister at Christmas one year, she remarked how well it fit her hand then slid it into her purse and thanked me for the Christmas gift! Bought another one and carried it for a while, then another one popped up for sale at Cabelas. Was stupid cheap and at that time there was a guy on Ebay selling Cabelas gift cards for 20% off, so I really got that one for a song. Still NIB but the magazines got swiped for use in my other one. People say Taurus is junk, and during the Sandy Hook panic buying spree they were right. They were pulling gun shaped objects out of the scrap bins apparently, just to keep up with demand. Newer stuff since they changed management have been good to go though. Love my TX22!

Also bought a couple S&W SD9VEs when they were on sale for like $230. Found a guy on Gunbroker selling spare mags for $14 each, grabbed a bunch. Everybody dislikes them because of their SIGMA ancestry but they go bang every time and the SS construction makes them ideal for stashing away. Mags are the only complaint I have. Hard to load without a LULA loader but not too bad with one. Follower is a bit long though, sanding a 1/16" off the bottom makes that last round go in easier. But the stiffness of the spring on a fully loaded mag means you have to slam them in on a forward slide to get the rounds to compress far enough to engage the mag catch. And trying to load the first round is a challenge to get the slide retracted on a full mag. I just load with the slide back and drop it, then top off the mag with another round and slam it in.

Top Bottom