• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Here is a memory photo for ya'all to remember those days of underage cigarette purchases from these:
    View attachment 277494
    When I was a little kid, Dad would give me some change and send me across the street to the Burger Chef, to get him a pack of Viceroy's out of the vending machine. No one batted an eye about an eight year old buying cigs. Very different time back then.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Lived in a small town on Spring Lake up by Grand Haven when I was little. Fished every day. My grandparents had a cabin up by Newaygo on Bigalow Creek. Miss that place terribly. You could listen to the salmon splashing over the waterfall right outside while you were in bed. The smell of the wood stove and my trout frying in bacon grease to go with my breakfast. Great way to grow up.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When I was a little kid, Dad would give me some change and send me across the street to the Burger Chef, to get him a pack of Viceroy's out of the vending machine. No one batted an eye about an eight year old buying cigs. Very different time back then.
    We used to walk down to the little gas station/corner store and buy cigarettes for dad for like 50 cents a pack. We'd pick up glass pop bottles on the way that people through out along the road and turn those in to buy a candy bar to eat on the walk back home.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Collected glass bottles and hauled them to the store for a candy bar.

One day I tripped on the curb and broke the bottle cutting my hand. I was maybe 6 - 7 at the time. Dad patched me up and gave me 20 cents to go back to the store. I felt rich!!!

Don

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    The recent anniversary of Dad's passing got me reminiscing.

Dad purchased very few firearms new... one of them was his S&W Model 19 I just posted over on the wheelguns thread. Every trip to the range for handgun shooting included that Model 19 and usually a 1911 or High Power, but always the Smith. It found a home under the front seat of every vehicle he drove and under the pillow or in the night stand of every place he slept. So growing up, I shot it a lot... to me, it WAS what revolver meant.

While he didn't purchase many firearms, he traded a lot. As in he had one of pretty much everything at one time or another via horse-trading.

Well, at one time he had both a S&W 629 and a Colt Anaconda, both in SS. Both fine firearms, but the Colt was beautiful. After letting me shoot each, I was in middle-school or early high school, he asked me which I liked best?

Easy, the S&W I answered quickly.

Perplexed, and because I answered so quickly, he asked why?

The cylinder release on the Colt is just "wrong". Lol!

To this day, even though I may fondle and drool over Colt revolvers, so ingrained is that Model 19 from shooting it so many times, that only a Smith cylinder release feels "right" to me.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This guy...

4154668C-78CB-4396-BEAB-9B328D9A50E5.jpeg

That's my grandfather when he was a young man (maybe mid to late 20s) with his center door Model T sedan which would have had a number of years on it before he picked it up.

Grew up on a working farm. Sat up with his parents and siblings when he was in 6th grade trying to help his older brother fight through pneumonia. The brother didn't make it.

My grandfather quit school a year later to help work the family farm and fill the vacuum left by his older brother.

Leaving school did not seem to hinder his learning at all. He was a prolific reader, knew math well, had an insightful understanding of human nature, and could cut through a pound of crap with an ounce of common sense. He had more wisdom than most "highly educated" folks I've come to know over the years.

Like many folks from his era, he knew how to figure things out and took on a variety of work to provide for his bride and children.

He worked as a truck driver, a lumberjack, and a railroad worker among other things. Farming, livestock and construction were his constants though.

He had to "give up farming" the last few years of his life as his health declined and he endured cancer until he passed.

A while after his passing, some of the guys he and my grandmother had known their whole lives started showing up to deliver some checks to her. I happened to be there on the first day it happened.

She couldn't figure out why they were bringing her checks, figured they were gifts, and told the guys she couldn't accept them.

It turned out that though my grandfather had not been able to physically work the farms for a few years, he was still working with the guys he had farmed with for years. He was still sharing his wisdom and experience with them, investing in the seed and labor, paying attention to weather, and doing what he did up to the end. The checks were his portion of his final earthly venture.

Rarely does a day or two go by that I don't think of this guy in some way.

Recently, I was dealing with a matter that managed to invoke some considerable concern. I was sitting by the fire mauling it over and then I could "hear" in my mind this guy ask me, "Have you considered "xyz" and have you thought about what how you're going to keep on even if things don't work out like want them to or think they should?"

It was yet another reminder of though that guy may not be here physically, he is with me.

Yesterday delivered today...yet again.

I do still miss the guy though...guess I always will.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Today we took DoggyMama's van to the same garage that Dad used to take the family cars to (if he didn't fix them himself) when I was a kid. I had all but forgotten about it and honestly didn't realize it was still open until fairly recently. Bud Hartman was my dad's friend and the owner, and now his son runs it.

Walking in the shop this evening when we picked up the van (he got it in and fixed it today - that's a rare thing these days!), really took me back to my childhood. It was exactly as I had remembered it. Kind of dark, everything looking like they had been touched with greasy hands countless times over the years, wooden shelves and little cubby holes with parts and other supplies in them. A couple of old, well-worn chairs in the "waiting area", which was no more than about 8'x8', and an old counter. He doesn't take plastic - cash or checks only.

I will definitely be giving him more business in the future! It's also nice that it's less than a mile from our house. John (the son) told me they'd been in business in the same place since 1936.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    IIRC, it was (here at least) 222-2362. That number was sponsored by AFNB bank (hence the 2362). I think another version was just dialing 222-2222.
    Don't remember the number but before AFNB it was sponsored by Indiana National Bank and it was my Grandfathers voice that told you the time. He was aVP for the bank.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    No, but heard about a guy who could roll them with one hand. Also, back in the 70s they had these machines, kind of the size of a card shuffling machine as I recall, and you stuck the tobacco, filters and paper in and cranked out cigarettes. Presumably to save some money.

Funny story lighting cigarette with butane lighter. It was a windy day and I could not keep the flame going with my hand cupped so I turned it up as high as it would go and it shot a flame up my nostril, burning all the nose hairs. Ugh, that is a bad smell!
    laredo cigarette machines. At that same time you could get rolling papers called "Camelflage" They had a brown band on one end like a Camel filter cigarette. Since the machine made a nice uniform roll, and the paper had that band, anything you rolled looked like a Camel Filter.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I remember no I-65 and walking to the creek to go fishing, also remember yes sir and yes mam and the no’s of each, no sir/mam. ALL adults were respected regardless of status.

I remember someone else pumping your gas and checking your oil. I remember these on the pump jockeys.

1712367280102.jpeg

I remember when “go fund me” was pushing around a lawnmower asking neighbors if they needed the lawn mowed.

Top Bottom