• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There is a little lake at the Lake County Fairgrounds where people used to be able to go and swim. When I was little, my mom would put some oranges in one of those styrofoam coolers (she couldn't afford the goodies at the concession stand), and we would walk to the fairgrounds, sit on the sand, play in the water, and eat oranges. To this day, when I peel an orange, the smell takes me back to Fancher Lake.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'll start with my Grandfather and Dad taking me along to catch little blue gill in the afternoon and frying them up for dinner that evening.
    Your post made me smile. My uncle took me fishing when I was about 5. I may look terrified, but I was proud of the first (and last) two fish I ever caught.

1611991605187.png

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Man the list of things I miss is long.

I miss the simplicity. No phones/social :bs: networking. Leave the house with as set course of things to accomplish and no one missed you. The phone was on the wall at home. We were pretty self reliant.
    I'm a big proponent of the end of the most recent version of "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Instead of complete destruction of man and all things man made render all of our "progress" into the dung heap and start over.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My dad left when I was four, and my mom raised me by herself. I have lots of fond memories of my mom and me playing games like Yahtzee, Sorry, and Chinese Checkers. Well, now that she is 87 and I am taking care of her, we have come full circle with the games and they are back again.

Always LOVED Yahtzee around the table after dinner was finished.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I miss the simplicity. No phones/social :bs: networking. Leave the house with as set course of things to accomplish and no one missed you. The phone was on the wall at home. We were pretty self reliant.

Telephone?

I figured you missed smoke signals.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My Grandpa had a shop attached to the house along with the garage.

On a cold morning like this when I was a kid, he would have the wood burner fired up. It was one of those made from an oil barrel. I would get to hang around the old man and be his "assistant" for whatever "project" needed some work.

Sometimes my Dad and Uncle would hang out there with us. Not much got done on those days.... but some great memories were made sitting around the wood burner with the "old guys".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My Grandpa had a shop attached to the house along with the garage.

On a cold morning like this when I was a kid, he would have the wood burner fired up. It was one of those made from an oil barrel. I would get to hang around the old man and be his "assistant" for whatever "project" needed some work.

Sometimes my Dad and Uncle would hang out there with us. Not much got done on those days.... but some great memories were made sitting around the wood burner with the "old guys".
    This is how I learned my way around a tool box. Each tool has a place and a use. Period.
    Every tool/equipment in the shop was the same way.
    If not for the old men that "Allowed" me to hang out I am not sure where I would be right now.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This is how I learned my way around a tool box. Each tool has a place and a use. Period.
    Every tool/equipment in the shop was the same way.
    If not for the old men that "Allowed" me to hang out I am not sure where I would be right now.

Yep.

After we were married and in our first house, my better half asked me one day how I learned to do some of the things I was doing around the place.

I hadn't thought about it much, but I soon realized that when I was that little kid hanging around the old guys and holding a flashlight, turning a wrench, setting up a jig, etc etc there was a hell of a lot of education going on.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Working with my dad. On the farm I was always the one outside working with him. We would go out each evening in the fall and pick corn. One row pull type corn picker, flat bed wagon. I would ride in the wagon and shovel all the corn into the front, then the back, then let the middle fill up. Dad would pull up to the corn crib and we would shovel into the crib. Helping with the livestock, working on equipment, whatever needed done. Lots of memories.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep.

After we were married and in our first house, my better half asked me one day how I learned to do some of the things I was doing around the place.

I hadn't thought about it much, but I soon realized that when I was that little kid hanging around the old guys and holding a flashlight, turning a wrench, setting up a jig, etc etc there was a hell of a lot of education going on.
    And this has been lost to youtube.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    And this has been lost to youtube.
    And video games. Today's dads didn't go hang with their Dad and Gramps when they were out fixin' stuff. The kids stayed inside hanging with Mario and Frogger. Get your hands dirty???? Hell, there was a time in my life I couldn't get my hands clean......

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

The big thing is we lost trust. If I told you I was meeting you next Saturday I didn't text several times to remind you or even make a follow up call. We just made a plan a stuck to it. I'm not sure you could do that today.

Top Bottom