• BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Had some down time this afternoon.

Went to a little pub to grab a late lunch, beer, and closing innings of a baseball game.

On the way out, ran into an old friend who just got back home...Got invited to have a beer with him, his wife, and their oldest daughter.

My Grandfather often said blessings show up when you least expect them... Truth.

bluzfan66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Switzerland Co, IN
    I grew up in MissourI. My grandparents had a cabin on 40 acres and every summer my grandfather and I would spend a week there just talking, fishing and shooting his handguns. I miss that…….a lot.

I often think of my time as a Navy Corpsman attached with the Marines. Those guys always kept me busy with their shenanigans. I didn’t know it at the time, but I loved every one of them.

I miss my grandmothers ham and beans and cornbread. Every time I came home on leave while in the Navy she always made me a big batch. Her homemade blueberry muffins were the best too.

I miss hanging with my childhood friends and the “adventures“ we would create. I‘m so glad we grew up in a time before technology took over.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Came across this thread today....reminded me of similar time with my Grandfather.

Folks, never miss the opportunity to spend time in the woods with younger folks.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Chokes

Kid wanted to borrow a little tractor for some mowing he promised to do.

Turned the key...crank...nada.

Choke it.

Huh?

Prime the carb

Boom.

There is another kid down the road that I am guessing will not figure it out.....also expect I will never know. He will likely never figure out how to turn time and talent into cash.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Had a barn full of building material, tools, equipment and all the neighbors knew it. No lock on the door and never had a single thing tampered with or stolen out of it.

We were the only ones in the neighborhood with a basement, all the neighbors would come huddle in our basement if there were bad storms.

All the stop signs had bullet holes.

Back window shelf of the Pontiac was the most comfortable place to sleep on a trip.

Buckets of water left outside would get tadpoles in them rather than mosquitoes.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I miss the days of childhood innocence. The life before my dad died. I started to realizes shortly thereafter what my mother was facing having to raise an 11 yr old boy and a 6 yr old daughter. My mother having us and in a way being alone.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    You could get a loan at the bank with a signature & a handshake.

Mom and Dad would send us kids in the store to buy their cigarettes and no one thought a thing of it.

Department stores and malls had ash trays and benches all through the store.

I even remember when a few mom & pop places had spittoons.

Motor oil came in cans.

You could get shoes repaired.

Paint and gasoline both still had lead in them.

Elevators had operators.

People pulled over for funeral processions and emergency vehicles.

Reactions: Leo

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Things that come to mind first:
    -Ex Step-dad used to work for the city, riding in the plow trucks was the coolest when i was little.

-Riding my bike across town to my grandmas to con her into making me lunch lol.

-Crushing 55 gal drums full of cans for $5 and that gave me pocket money for the week.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I miss shooting the $$it with my father who passed away just shy of his 51st birthday over 40 years ago. Watching him water the lawn and then aerate it with a 9mm Radom pistol. Or shooting crows out of the bedroom window with .22 CB caps which didn't make too much noise. And, of course, barbecues in the backyard over beer and steaks. You guys here that still have your Dad alive are lucky - enjoy time with him every moment you can. RIP Dad.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Boy Scouts in the '60s; camping, fishing, hiking, 3-day canoe trips, building stuff with rope lashings. Led by "real" old men, every one of them a vet, who knew their ****, and didn't put up with any.
    Just stumbled on this awesome thread. Made me remember a scout camping weekend way back then; don't recall the camp unfortunately but we were preparing for a few hours long hike up a pretty steep "mountain" (lol in Indiana). One of the old timer leaders, one of those "real" men, bet us he could get to the summit first and he headed down the longer switchback trail. We of course laughed at him and chose to go straight up the steep trail cause it was the shortest distance. When we finally got to the top exhausted HE was already kicked back, sitting by a well established camp fire, drinking a cup of coffee he had brewed! We stood in awe for a few seconds and I can still picture him taking a long sip and then saying rather quietly to us, "even a GOAT knows not to walk STRAIGHT up the side of a mountain." Lesson learned and it stuck for all these years! Miss those scouting trips, learned a ton.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just stumbled on this awesome thread. Made me remember a scout camping weekend way back then; don't recall the camp unfortunately but we were preparing for a few hours long hike up a pretty steep "mountain" (lol in Indiana). One of the old timer leaders, one of those "real" men, bet us he could get to the summit first and he headed down the longer switchback trail. We of course laughed at him and chose to go straight up the steep trail cause it was the shortest distance. When we finally got to the top exhausted HE was already kicked back, sitting by a well established camp fire, drinking a cup of coffee he had brewed! We stood in awe for a few seconds and I can still picture him taking a long sip and then saying rather quietly to us, "even a GOAT knows not to walk STRAIGHT up the side of a mountain." Lesson learned and it stuck for all these years! Miss those scouting trips, learned a ton.
    Love it! Those old guys couldn't be beat.

Speaking of which, when I was a kid, I would take a couple of sheets of newspaper and roll them up longwise and challenge my dad (who was usually reading the rest of the paper in his recliner) to a "sword fight". I'd start waving around my flimsy little "sword" while Dad was busy folding the rest of the paper in half, and rolling it up tight, so that he had a short, but 3 or 4 inch thick "sword".

When he finished his, I'd come at him with my sword and THWAP!! He'd whack me right on top of the head with his club. Game over! :lmfao:

There's a reason they say never pick a fight with an old man... if he's too old to fight, he might just kill ya.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I grew up in the city. We could leave in the morning on our bikes and the one rule was be home before the street lights come on. We would ride all over. The park The Mall ThePizza shop Miles from home. No cell phone and no one worried.

Top Bottom