• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I grew up in the city. We could leave in the morning on our bikes and the one rule was be home before the street lights come on. We would ride all over. The park The Mall ThePizza shop Miles from home. No cell phone and no one worried.

Yep.

Buddies and I would often ride around town on our way out of town with air rifles or 22s strapped on our handlebars....never a problem.

Folks too young to have not been able to experience such small things have no idea how much they have missed.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Speed Racer, Creature Feature, Son of Svengoolie, and the little seat I built hidden way in the top of the osage orange tree where i would go hide and smoke, entirely undetected.

That and my “little brother” (actually cousin) who we are burying tomorrow - only 49. We were very close but the last few years he just distanced himself from everyone and led a rather unhealthy lifestyle. We all tried to help, obviously not enough.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Speed Racer, Creature Feature, Son of Svengoolie, and the little seat I built hidden way in the top of the osage orange tree where i would go hide and smoke, entirely undetected.

That and my “little brother” (actually cousin) who we are burying tomorrow - only 49. We were very close but the last few years he just distanced himself from everyone and led a rather unhealthy lifestyle. We all tried to help, obviously not enough.

Some great memories no doubt.

My condolences for your loss.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My new 11W mail order fleece lined winter house shoes came in.
    They are narrower than a 10. They fall off your heel in the back.
    Can't wear them.
    "Alpine Swiss Yukon" junk from criminal red China.
    Know what I really miss about "yesterday"?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Squaring away some stuff in the hobby room.
    Found a box of 100 grain 6mm Remington bought for five dollars at Hasse Brothers in Llano, Texas. Ol' lady Faulkner wanted a fat doe and I was just the lad to get her one.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    It is that time of year when baseball is coming down to the playoffs and series.....

I always enjoyed listening to the games on an AM radio. A good radio announcer beats a TV commentator any day.

Might have to fire up the fire pit and tune in tonight.....of course, no AM coverage in these parts....maybe I can find a way to stream.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It is that time of year when baseball is coming down to the playoffs and series.....

I always enjoyed listening to the games on an AM radio. A good radio announcer beats a TV commentator any day.

Might have to fire up the fire pit and tune in tonight.....of course, no AM coverage in these parts....maybe I can find a way to stream.
    ESPECIALLY Baseball.

Coming from WV you were a Pirates, Reds, or Braves fan depending on what area of WV you lived in, so you know me, I was a Dodgers fan when I played Baseball. Actually though it wasn't only for the reason you may suspect. I played First Base and was a huge Steve Garvey fan. I remember listening to the Big Red Machine in the early to mid 70s but I started playin in the mid 70s. When Garvey left the Dodgers the same year my Grandpa died in 82. He was the one that put on the Reds and where I got the love of LISTENING to a ballgame. In the late 80s I came to no mans land of Indiana. Very similar to WV really, depending on where you live, Cubs, Cards, Reds but I was squarely in Cubs territory. :xmad:

Have since moved into west central indiana I can now hear all 3 and thanks to streaming (based on zip code) I can now watch Reds/Cards games.

So I say all that to return to what BigRed was saying.

Vin Scully was a master. I paid for MLB audio streaming just to listen to him call games for years.
    Marty Brennamen was fantastic. I was always able to pick up 700 and hear him call games.

Baseball is a game too slow for some but if you are like me.

You love the game, love the history of the game, and when you LISTEN to the games. You get 3 hours of work done and hear stories about favorite players, those you had never heard of and all sorts of meetings in elevators and things that make you burst out laughing. You get a game, a history lesson, and a comedy show all in one. When you get to the playoffs especially possible series deciders and definitely game 7s, you can go to a wa

Playoff baseball, I'll watch the games as they are usually so late and so late in the year its dark out and getting chilly, regular season, I listen. When you get to the playoffs especially possible series deciders and definitely game 7s, you can go to a watch party and have plenty of opportunities for bathroom breaks, getting/eating food and never miss a moment of the game :) If I could ever figure out how to match streaming to the radio I would do it in a heartbeat. I have tried recording and then get the recording to match the radio but it is too difficult, for me, to get it exactly right.

Sure some hate baseball, but I think they don't really understand all it has to offer.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yep.

Buddies and I would often ride around town on our way out of town with air rifles or 22s strapped on our handlebars....never a problem.

Folks too young to have not been able to experience such small things have no idea how much they have missed.
    In the early 90's we'd ride our bikes to the rifle range north of IAH with no problem. To try that now could be a life altering decision.
    :@ya:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Lukewarm coffee....

Better half and I got to do some projects together today...It's been a while since we have got to do so.

Good to be away from the rush...and slow down enough to have lukewarm coffee.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Got a call from a good friend (and old boss about 20 years ago)...Have not had much time together over the past year or so.

Called to grab dinnner....turned into 4 hours that seemed less than 1. Such great conversation.

Pro tip: When an old buddy asks if you would like to get together, say "absolutely".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    With Christmas coming up, was talking with DoggyMama about what kind of toys we could get for the 4 year old grandsons that are now ours to raise for the foreseeable future.

Got to thinking about the toys of my youth, especially when I was about their age. Dad made me a set of building blocks out of 2x4's. they were cut in 8"x4", 4"x4" blocks, and there were also some cut at a 45 degree angle. I had a lot of fun with those blocks, making fortresses and towers and whatnot!

I also had Lincoln logs (sorry Red! :): ), and Tinker Toys... Something else I thought of was erector sets! Strips of metal of varying lengths with holes drilled in them, and your constructs would be held together with real machine screws and nuts.

Anyhow, just rambling about some old memories and wanted to share. With all the old farts like me on INGO, I figure some of y'all probably had some of these things too. :)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Take them out in the back yard with a daisy spring shooter..pop a paper cup...make a good breakfast...do other things....and somewhere in the midst of it all, when the opportunity arrives, demonstrate what a good man is.

FWIW, I learned very early on that "tinker toys" and "lincoln logs" are bull****.

Time spent well is time well spent.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I had Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, and Hot Wheels. I also had Barbies. One of my favorite toys ever was my Spirograph. When I got one of those ball-point pens that writes in about 10 colors, I was in heaven.

788586_p_yafa_multifunction_10_color_ballpoint_pen

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Dragging a deer out from the woods...

Not with a truck.
    Not with a four wheeler.
    Not even a horse...though I would have appreciated the horse.

Today was a good day.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Dad made me a set of building blocks out of 2x4's. they were cut in 8"x4", 4"x4" blocks, and there were also some cut at a 45 degree angle. I had a lot of fun with those blocks, making fortresses and towers and whatnot!

I still have the set my uncle made me. My son and I play with it still. You can by those if you look.

There is a new thing called magna tiles. Great fun. My 7 year old got his first set at 4 and we just keep adding to it. I definitely suggest a nice set.

Hot wheels are good as well.

Top Bottom