• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Lost a Great Friend suddenly yesterday. Gone Much Too Soon @ 72. Truly Salt of the Earth. Kind of Friend that would come Help at the drop of a hat-No Questions Asked. RIP WMH. Hug your Loved Ones Today-tomorrow is promised to No One.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Also glad you had him as a great friend.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Manual transmissions and when everyone knew how to work them.

Something that crossed my mind today when running a smoker that works on fuel and air.

Fortunately, I have still been able to find vehicles with manuals...still drive one as a "daily driver"

Taught all of our kids how to drive on manual cars.

I still remember when I was younger and my older sister was learning to drive... She could not figure out, or had no patience for, the manual on my Dad's old beater he used to teach us.

"It's just like a motorcycle... put it in gear and let the clutch take hold"

Blank stare.

Back and forth

"Who needs a manual anyway...now we have automatics"

"What if you are ever in an emergency and the only vehicle you can find is a manual?"

"I'll call for help"

Way back then, I knew my older sister and I were cut from different boldts of cloth.

Unfortunately, it seems to still play out today.

Fortunately, my youngest child could hop into a car or truck with a stick and know exactly what to do.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Manual transmissions and when everyone knew how to work them.

Something that crossed my mind today when running a smoker that works on fuel and air.

Fortunately, I have still been able to find vehicles with manuals...still drive one as a "daily driver"

Taught all of our kids how to drive on manual cars.

I still remember when I was younger and my older sister was learning to drive... She could not figure out, or had no patience for, the manual on my Dad's old beater he used to teach us.

"It's just like a motorcycle... put it in gear and let the clutch take hold"

Blank stare.

Back and forth

"Who needs a manual anyway...now we have automatics"

"What if you are ever in an emergency and the only vehicle you can find is a manual?"

"I'll call for help"

Way back then, I knew my older sister and I were cut from different boldts of cloth.

Unfortunately, it seems to still play out today.

Fortunately, my youngest child could hop into a car or truck with a stick and know exactly what to do.
    Very true. I know more and more people that cannot drive a manual.
    Happy to say my grandson, who just got his license, is eager to learn on my truck.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I miss both of my grandmothers....one passed 10+ years ago and the other about 3 months ago. That one is still fresh...

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Sunny afternoons just crawling through the fields hunting, bumble bee's, wasps, grasshoppers, and dandelion heads with my bb gun, no worries, no body wanted me to do something for them,

I remember thinking those days were so Long and there was nothing but time to hunt.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I grew up halfway between Valpo and South Haven out if the country. At 12-13 years old would strap my Remington bolt action across my back and ride my bike to me friend Kenny's house. His mom had a big house out in the woods and we could shoot and wander the woods all day and nobody ever thought twice about 2 young teenagers with guns.

I would come home on the bus from school in the fall and winter and shortly be loading my 20 guage as I walked out through the back yard to hunt rabbits, pheasant, and quail.

I knew all the folks around there and always had permission to hunt.

Those really were the days.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Caught a thread about a guy's son asking him to visit the range this weekend.

Some of my favorite memories growing up were shooting and plinking with my Dad and grandfather.

Friday nights when I was a kid often involved Dad cooking dinner on the back patio grill followed by popping cans off the back yard swing set, out of some back yard trees, off the woodpile, etc.

We did several family trips and such growing up, but the memories I recall most often are evenings like that and several other small, day to day things.

I remember an "old" lady telling me one time that "you have the chance to make great memories every day". As I've gotten older, I have a deeper appreciation for what she was saying.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Got to spend some time today walking some woods I got invited to walk with a great man some years ago.

Classify these as good times.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Went to a ball game last weekend.

Four army guys were in line behind me at the concession stand. Ordered 5 beers. Gal said "2 on one ID was the limit.

Told the gents nehind me to show their ID so I could buy them a beer. All said they were under 21 so could not.

Kids are old enough to sacrifice their life, but not old enough to accept a beer.

Things have changed....many times not for the better.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Road trips involving long cruising stretches with the speedo well into three digits that start with a 1 and a 2 and a tach well below the red.

I got the chance to do some of that again recently.

Classify these as good times.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Took a vehicle into a shop for an oil change and brakes.....Used to do that with my Dad in the garage.

I was thinking about when my mom was throwing a baby shower at the house for my sister.

Dad and I were out in the garage crawling around the GT sitting up on jack stands.

Funny what little moments will bring back.

That guy taught me so much, and I don't mean about cars.

Really been missing him lately.

Top Bottom