• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Would imagine it would kill the nutrients of the soil with results like the Badlands of Montana. Just a guess though. Good question because if you don't have good soil, you can't grow your own crops, cows have nothing to eat and trees would die off and it would be bad.

Of course I'm sure it all depends on how much ash falls in a given area because it's sure to rain after the ash cloud. That would wash a lot of it away, but if it's near enough to the volcano you would probably be looking at a couple feet of fallout.

It will be interesting if we could get a good educated guesstimate on this.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Properties of volcanic ash: volcanic ash hazards and ways to minimize them
    scroll half way down to the volcanic glass section.It gives the following + more I will not post it all as it is quite long.Volcanic eruptions inject water vapour (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2), hydrochloric acid (HCl), hydrofluoric acid (HF) and ash into the atmosphere. HCl and HF will dissolve in water and fall as acid rain whereas most SO2 is slowly converted to sulphuric acid (H2SO4) aerosols. Ash particles may absorb these aerosol droplets onto their surfaces. When ash falls to the ground, the soluble components (leachates) can by washed away by water, potentially resulting in changes to local water chemistry and hence quality. Chemical changes in the underlying soil can occur as a result of leaching of the aerosols coating individual grains and longer term from unstable glass particles (Cronin and others, 1996). Figure 3.3 from Johnston, 1997.

Thank you smokingman.

AWESOME website reference!! I've been perusing it for an hour now...reading the public info do & don'ts, etc, and gaining general FYI knowledge. Thanks!!! I am always glad when I can learn something. That ash hazard is profound...especially the very fine particulate stuff which is what we'd get if it came this far.

Last edited:

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If Yellowstone Pops....
    Thank God!
    The fact that nature got us first rather than the Government, would be a relief.

Of course.... I'm kidding..... kinda.:runaway:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Well it has been awhile since I updated this thread,figure why not the day after 24+quakes hit Yellowstone.
    Earthquake List for Map Centered at 42°N, 110°W
    Recent Earthquakes for Yellowstone
    UUSS Webicorder (Seismogram) Displays, Yellowstone Region
    and the uplift chart from usgs website.Red means movement greater then 5mm in a given day.UNAVCO: Plate Boundary Observatory (PBO)
    and an historical uplift chart for comparison.Recent ups and downs of the Yellowstone Caldera
    just an update.
    Article related to uplift of the last 3 years.Yellowstone Volcano Rises at Unprecedented Rate | LiveScience

Last edited:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Yellowstone uncorking its fury on us is definately a possibility and one that would test each one and our ability to survive. But we have another natural disaster here in our area that if it were to occur would put a strain on our infrastructure and each families capability.
    That would be the New Madrid earthquake zone, as a local firefighter we have seen training scenarios showing the damage that would be done to the infrastructure. And in a worse case scenario what we could expect as far as damage estimates and the time it would take before aid would reach many within the zone area.
    Of course living as close as we do to Camp Atterbury and Fore Knox we would have military running over one another but I for one still feel that my families safety and well being is my responsibility.

There is a fault line somewhere around here....

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Type in New Madrid Fault line in the search area and it will take you to a list of links. Click on the second one to see a map.

It hits the south/eastern edge of IL and pretty much follows the Mississippi river south.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    There is one that cuts right through Gibson County very close to Gibson Power Station. Gibson Lake would eventually flow into it should it ever collapse. I used to be able to feel anything on the scale of 1.2 and higher. :D We used to call in and check on it when we felt them. :thumbsup:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    There is one that cuts right through Gibson County very close to Gibson Power Station. Gibson Lake would eventually flow into it should it ever collapse. I used to be able to feel anything on the scale of 1.2 and higher. :D We used to call in and check on it when we felt them. :thumbsup:

Isn't the Richter scale basically a ultra low frequency DB meter? Talk about making some low bass :laugh:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Isn't the Richter scale basically a ultra low frequency DB meter? Talk about making some low bass :laugh:

Low bass or shockwave or whatever, you could feel it. Remember that little shaking around Indy not long back? I felt that one as my car swayed and shook in my garage. I was leaning against it and thought someone was in it. I actually unholstered and checked in and under the car, it was still shaking and I looked up at my glass of tea and it was shaking too. About that time I ran for threashold of my laundry room.... and it stops.

I was expecting a follow-up quake but it never came. We're supposedly due for a decent sized quake around here. :dunno:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't even get the website to come up....
    I can get the website up instantly...but when I click on a recorder half have no data.As I said one or two down is nothing as it happens all the time,but half just seems odd.There is zero data from the second as well,and only one quake recorded for today at 0km depth.
    Earthquake List for Map Centered at 42°N, 110°W
    At least the park is still there lol
    Original Mammoth Hot Springs WebCam - Yellowstone National Park
    or not...hmm lol
    Mt. Washburn WebCam - Yellowstone National Park

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I got it to working. Considering the activity lately that does seem a bit odd. I wonder if they were disabled by the quakes or for maintenance?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I got it to working. Considering the activity lately that does seem a bit odd. I wonder if they were disabled by the quakes or for maintenance?
    Given the huge area they cover,the depth at which most are,and such I seriously doubt they could all be down for maintenance at the same time.I see a car,truck,and mini van with cargo carrier on top on the one webcam that seems to be working. Old faithful webcam is down as well.Wonder if it is just ...never mind...it is just a loop...from 5-01-09.So half webicorders and all webcams are down...hmmm.
    Updated may 1st Yellowstone Volcano Observatory

Last edited:

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    The photos showing Mt. St. Helens indicate the regrowth happens much faster than the experts predicted. That doesn't negate the destruction but points to a recovery in a handfull of years not decades.

Apparently the soil fertility is enhanced but I'll bet the wear and tear on machinery would go up appreciativly in the abrasive atmosphere.

Top Bottom