• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    If yellowstone errupts, how will it impact central and southern indiana.

All I could find out is about an inch to 3 inches of ash makes it our way. Am I missing something.....

I know to the west and north they are screwed. The drawing I remember says everything within 600 miles could be toasted.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Supervolcano FTL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember watching something on the Yellowstone supervolcano a couple of years ago, probably on the discovery channel. I remember it saying the ground there was raised up like 12" in the last few years, like something is building. Possible ash covering this area is what I remember the possible outcome, but the worst part would be the ash could put into the atmosphere causing the next ice age, or something like that.

Rooster Cogburn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    MSG2 - Indianapolis
    I'd like to think I'm a bit Irish: "God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure your fLucked." Best. Movie. Evah!

The atmosphere would be the most deciding factor in how Indiana, and the rest of the World, would fare after an eruption. Ash fall here in Indiana would be minimal. Our greatest worry would be refugees overloading our system and the atmosphere that ash cloud would produce.

Here is a great link: Yellowstone Eruption

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Yellowstone uncorking its fury on us is definately a possibility and one that would test each one and our ability to survive. But we have another natural disaster here in our area that if it were to occur would put a strain on our infrastructure and each families capability.
    That would be the New Madrid earthquake zone, as a local firefighter we have seen training scenerios showing the damage that would be done to the infrastructure. And in a worse case scenerio what we could expect as far as damage estimates and the time it would take before aid would reach many within the zone area.
    Of course living as close as we do to Camp Atterbury and Fore Knox we would have military running over one another but I for one still feel that my families safety and well being is my responsibility.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I guess it depends on how bad it pops.
    We were just talking about this last night.

Could be as bad as a lack of sunlight and poor harvest throughout the grain belt.
    When MT St Helens erupted IIRC, the area immediately around there had some severe problems but
    it wasn't that bad around here.

You might take comfort in knowing that these recent quakes aren't that unusual.

Yellowstone Recent Status Report, Updates, and Information Releases

Last edited:

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    yea it Yellowstone has a 65mile wide caldera and i saw something on the discovery channel that is starting to bulge. they looked at a lake and the water had ran 2 ft up shore on one side of the lake and on the other the water had subsided exposing what was part of the lake bed. 2 feet may not be much but its enough to let me know there is something going on there.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If what little I know comes true, we here in Indiana may live a few months longer than those closer to Yellowstone only of we have stock piled food and water. In time, winter fallout will get us all in the US and likely the rest of the planet. It will not be good if a major eruption does occure.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yea, if Yellowstone erupts we're all fLucked. There's no way around that. If you follow the jet streams from there to here, we will get a lot of fallout. According to the USGS and the discovery channel special I saw on Yellowstone, it's the largest known volcano in the world. They believe that the whole valley may have been a mountain at one time and when it erupted the result was 10x worse than Krakatoa(sp?). They said it may have been the earth shattering event that killed off the dinosaurs. Of course that is pure speculation, but you get the point.

The resulting ash cloud, as stated will inevitably result in long harsh winters. Not even Africa or Southern Hemisphere countries will be immune. Although there may be survivors that can outlive the devistation, it will certainly be......catastrophic.

SPACE....SPACE....SPACE.... SPACE STATION..... SPACE EXPLORATION...... SURVIVAL....

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    No one knows for sure how bad Yellowstone will be. True, it's closer, but we just don't know. Yet.

The fact is, we survived Mount St. Helen and there is a good chance we could survive Yellowstone. (Although we probably wouldn't be too happy about it.)

Can they even predict when or if it will really blow? It may go dormant again. Do they know how much power it will generate if it does go off?

At least we have some indication that it might go off, so we can prepare for it. (Somewhat)

Another question: What if - if it does go off - it triggers an earthquake here? What is the possibility of that happening?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Another question: What if - if it does go off - it triggers an earthquake here? What is the possibility of that happening?

This was something they brought up on the discovery channel. I don't remember all of it, but I do remember them saying that the earthquakes would be the start of the eruption. Not only will they become frequent, but that they believe it will be some of the biggest quakes ever recorded.

I would assume those would be not only felt here, but also extend through the fault lines to reach the massive, but dormant, fault line that runs through the midwest.

I know it's all hollywood, but I recommend watching the movie 10.5 and the sequel to that movie. The events are based on real worst case scenario models, although taken to the extreme with HollyBS magic. Never the less, that is the kinds of devastation we could be looking at. The movie does fail to take into account Yellowstone. Any significant quake could be the event needed to rupture Yellowstone. Best case scenario would be the cauldron just leaked the lava into new or existing fault lines, draining the cauldron enough to make it less of a threat. Obviously the worst case scenario, would be bad.

This is all speculation of course, but it's what I've read about and seen on discovery.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/17385-yellowstone_quakes_300_since_dec_26th.html

Fears over earthquake 'swarm' at Yellowstone National Park - Times Online
    Yellowstone Earthquake Swarm: Latest Supervolcano Update - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)

First one is where I posted links and such in the break room.One of the links takes you to a page where you can see the quakes ect..

Yes it would be bad,but defiantly survivable.I do not think it is going to blow any time soon,if we start seeing mag 6+ quakes or quakes through out more of the park(right now they are centered in one area)then I may change my mind.

Links directly to the park site.
    Yellowstone National Park Volcano
    Yellowstone National Park Earthquakes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom