• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    This was something they brought up on the discovery channel. I don't remember all of it, but I do remember them saying that the earthquakes would be the start of the eruption. Not only will they become frequent, but that they believe it will be some of the biggest quakes ever recorded.

I would assume those would be not only felt here, but also extend through the fault lines to reach the massive, but dormant, fault line that runs through the midwest.

I know it's all hollywood, but I recommend watching the movie 10.5 and the sequel to that movie. The events are based on real worst case scenario models, although taken to the extreme with HollyBS magic. Never the less, that is the kinds of devastation we could be looking at. The movie does fail to take into account Yellowstone. Any significant quake could be the event needed to rupture Yellowstone. Best case scenario would be the cauldron just leaked the lava into new or existing fault lines, draining the cauldron enough to make it less of a threat. Obviously the worst case scenario, would be bad.

This is all speculation of course, but it's what I've read about and seen on discovery.

The earthquake area I was talking about was here in the midwest - the Madras Fault. (sp)
    Would it work the other way? Could an eruption at Yellowstone trigger a quake here? (After all there are small quakes there already. And if there was enough lava escaping would that cause a collaps (or earth movement) THERE enough to shake (or move) our area?

Did that make sense at all? ^ :dunno:

(BTW; I did see both 10.5 and sequal. Wouldn't that be a mess?!!)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Watching the webicorders.

UUSS Webicorder (Seismogram) Displays, Yellowstone Region
    Fears over earthquake 'swarm' at Yellowstone National Park - Times Online U will notice this is the times...but the euro edition not the USA one!

and finally the history channel show everyone keeps mentioning
    YouTube - History Channel Mega Disasters - Yellowstone Eruption Part 1

note what he says at 2:59 into it.
    5 parts to the whole show.
    Also of note..it rose 8 inches last year the average has been 2 in a year since 1928(when they started measuring it).

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days (latest earthquakes around the world).

Last edited:

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Living in a deep underground bunker is sounding better by the minute.
    Need to figure how to rig the grow lights for the plants to produce the O2 and food..

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Also found this there too.

Zombie Squad said:
    Recently, observations from ice cores have been made on the possible effects of the Toba super-eruption, 75,000 years ago. If these data do reflect the Toba event, they suggest that aerosol formation and fallout lasted for six years. The volcanic winter would not only be more severe than for a Pinatubo-scale eruption, but would last much longer. Models suggest that a Toba-sized super-eruption would inject so much sulphur gas into the atmosphere that the stratosphere chemistry would be substantially perturbed - allowing for more prolonged climate-forcing. Some models suggest super-eruptions can cause cooling of 3°C to 5°C, which in global climate terms represents a catastrophic change.

It may not sound like much, but a mere 4°C cooling, sustained over a long period, is enough to cause a new Ice Age. However, great caution is needed in attributing causes and effects in a system as complex as global climate, and more detailed modelling research is required. Initial computer climate-model runs by scientists at the UK Meteorological Office’s Hadley Centre for a Toba-sized eruption suggest Northern Hemisphere temperature drops of 10oC. This would freeze and kill the equatorial rainforests.

http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/gsl/education/page3042.html

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    "Mother Nature" is an AWSOME creature, that's for sure!!!
    Can't help but respect her powers. (Even tho, they sometimes scare me to "death".)

I'm sure I've said this before, but the Petersburg/Hazelton Tornados from 92(?) I think, one of the 7 went through my BACKYARD and my grandparents and I stood at the back window and watched. We had an acre lot on a hill in the middle of an 80acre field. Fondest memory of my Grandparents. My dad and I used to sit on an old tractor tire we used for a flower garden and watch lightning storms. My mom hated that.

I... don't... think.... I would enjoy watching yellowstone blow chunks though....:n00b:

BTW, my dad has video tape of the tornados.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I'm sure I've said this before, but the Petersburg/Hazelton Tornados from 92(?) I think, one of the 7 went through my BACKYARD and my grandparents and I stood at the back window and watched. We had an acre lot on a hill in the middle of an 80acre field. Fondest memory of my Grandparents. My dad and I used to sit on an old tractor tire we used for a flower garden and watch lightning storms. My mom hated that.

I... don't... think.... I would enjoy watching yellowstone blow chunks though....:n00b:

BTW, my dad has video tape of the tornados.

Sounds like it's in the blood. :D You can't escape it. :n00b:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Living in a deep underground bunker is sounding better by the minute.
    Need to figure how to rig the grow lights for the plants to produce the O2 and food..

The whole trick is to BUILD your own house or at least design it properly.

All you need is a basement. Where people go wrong is they build 3/4 of a bunker and then screw it up with a wood top. It's called a basement. Put a concrete slab on it and then build it like any other house and make good use of it that way SHTF or not. Put the in floor radiant heating and an outside wood/coal boiler and who cares what the rest of the world decides to do to themselves.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    InBunkersBuilders

The whole trick is to BUILD your own house or at least design it properly.

Unbelievable the amount of resources get dumped in buying and maintaining poorly designed manufactured houses. You know the 2 story wobbly blocks of plywood houses built on top of one another with no land. Living like that is insane IMHO for so many reasons. Living in a barn would be better and a bunker would be best. You'd think everyone ought to know at least 1 person living in a common sense properly built bunker (or even house for that matter). Hey maybe there's a forum, "INBunkerBuilders" HaH! i think I'll start one if there's not one.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    gage;205694Unbelievable the amount of resources get dumped in buying and maintaining poorly designed manufactured houses. You know the 2 story wobbly blocks of plywood houses built on top of one another with no land. Living like that is insane IMHO for so many reasons. Living in a barn would be better and a bunker would be best. You'd think everyone ought to know at least 1 person living in a common sense properly built bunker (or even house for that matter). Hey maybe there's a forum said:
    You mean like the houses I live in? The PFD has their work cut out for them if a major fire breaks out in one house in our neighborhood. There is no more than 6-8 feet between houses out here. And if an F1 tornado hits, say bye bye to the neighborhood!

I miss the Limestone block house we lived in in So. In. It survived 4 tornados from 82-97 that I know about. Always just minor roof damage. :D

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    I feel the same way. And not just about that but tornados too.

<-----Bonafide Tornado Chaser (when she lets me go...:n00b:)

next time you go chasing you gotta hit me up seriously.

Yellowstone is gonna be an amazing event (excluding all the horror and chaos). imagine it snowing gray snow in august. but the thing you have to remember is that if you get about 1 ft of ash covering you roof, thats enough weight to make your house collapse.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Yellowstone Lake Earthquake Swarm Summary as of 8 January 2009
    The "official" review of the quakes until the 6th. I did notice a few thing that where inaccurate. An example would be fig.3. It shows 350 quakes when at the top of the page it says there have been over 900.Also of note on the usgs website is that a ridge has risen in Yellowstone lake.It has risen 2.5 feet and is over 2000 ft long now.This is a new feature since the 26th of dec.
    Here is a link I posted before. It is real time data.
    UUSS Webicorder (Seismogram) Displays, Yellowstone Region

I will continue to post updates...stay informed :)

ah one more thing...yesterday(friday) earth quake swarm...again from usgs
    YVO Archived Update

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    From the USGS:
    "Fortunately, the Yellowstone volcanic system shows no signs that it is headed toward such an eruption in the near future. In fact, the probability of any such event occurring at Yellowstone within the next few thousand years is exceedingly low. "

source:
    Google Image Result for http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3024/images/fs2005-3024_fig_12.jpg

Cool Pic showing "historical" ash coverage:
    http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3024/images/fs2005-3024_fig_12.jpg
    Your data is from 2005,but has some good information.

truckie166

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    I heard on tv last week that yellowstone was in the red stage and that means that there could be a big problem today or 100s of years down the road. But if it was to go like they say it could we would be in some big trouble for a long time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom