Wow! No Wonder Ammo Is Hard To Get, Look At Gun Sales...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    :faint:

That's pretty cool, but their solution for uncrimping the rim isn't very good. Meaning that they have no solution for it at all other than "it'll be alright". If you can buy new rimfire brass on the cheap, I can see reloading it getting to be a thing as the prices keep going up and up.
    It's better than none.
    Might be a good thing to design, a way to expand the rim back out.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    It's better than none.
    Might be a good thing to design, a way to expand the rim back out.

With enough annealing and pressure you can do nearly anything, but I think at that point it would be more sensible to just manufacture new brass. Even if you could re-use the flattened rimfire brass, how many times before it cracks?

I could see any and all of that becoming a thing if rimfire demand/pricing skyrockets permanently. And yes, it's cool that anyone is even trying it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    With enough annealing and pressure you can do nearly anything, but I think at that point it would be more sensible to just manufacture new brass. Even if you could re-use the flattened rimfire brass, how many times before it cracks?

I could see any and all of that becoming a thing if rimfire demand/pricing skyrockets permanently. And yes, it's cool that anyone is even trying it.
    I actually thought about buying one just to try it out. Curiosity and all

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I actually thought about buying one just to try it out. Curiosity and all

For the price, it seems like a fun experiment. If I had any other reloading "things", I'd be considering it for sure. It looks like you need some specialized primer and such too. Lots of YouTube videos on it now that I am looking for them.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Just had nephew that I had told and begged him to buy ammunition and magazine's and rifles when it was cheap before the Chinese death disease hit.
    He text me asking for ammo. I reminded him he was flush with cash for years, and could have bought thousands of rds a week and still had money left to blow. Now he wants Ammunition at 2019 prices. I told him good luck and next time I tell you to get something do it don't waste money on video games and sound systems and 60" TV etc.

I love him but I will make him accept this life lesson. If SHTF I'll share but right now he needs to learn the hard way.
    That's a harsh lesson that is better learned now.

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    How do we know it's law abiding people buying guns in IL? The bad guys have money to drop off pallets of bricks, and organize, riots. Why not stock pile guns for their hoods to use. There were some IL, people at the recent Nor. IN Gunslinger Show trying to buy guns. A couple I spoke with couldn't produce drivers licenses.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Since you need a degree in CCW in Ohio (or at least you did when I lived there), that seems like the least they could do for you.
    The only thing I really took exception to about the training requirement was the 90 or so rounds I had to expend to get through it. When I went to the Sheriff’s office to apply for the CHL they made it on the spot and sent me out the door with it. I thought that was fairly impressive for a photo ID. You have to apply in your county of residence or an adjacent county. Luckily, my county is pretty CHL-friendly. The wait to schedule an appointment was lengthy though, a few months.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How do we know it's law abiding people buying guns in IL? The bad guys have money to drop off pallets of bricks, and organize, riots. Why not stock pile guns for their hoods to use. There were some IL, people at the recent Nor. IN Gunslinger Show trying to buy guns. A couple I spoke with couldn't produce drivers licenses.
    Illinois gun runners are at all the Indiana gun shows.

There was a guy that would come to every Lafayette show and leave with duffel bags full of guns.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The only thing I really took exception to about the training requirement was the 90 or so rounds I had to expend to get through it. When I went to the Sheriff’s office to apply for the CHL they made it on the spot and sent me out the door with it. I thought that was fairly impressive for a photo ID. You have to apply in your county of residence or an adjacent county. Luckily, my county is pretty CHL-friendly. The wait to schedule an appointment was lengthy though, a few months.

When I lived there they made it as painful as possible to deal with. The only range near me that offered the course was like an hour away, only taught it during the week, and it was like $300... Hard pass. Moved back to Indiana.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The numbers stated in the article are inflated to say the least. The numbers they are reporting is for background checks and include those who's State includes a NICS check to receive their carry permit and also States like IL and CA that run NICS checks through out the year on people who currently have their CCW permit.

Short article from NSSF on 2020 sales figure where they estimate 20 million firearms were sold not 40 million, (still a huge number and a record for sales) https://www.nssf.org/taking-stock-of-record-setting-2020-firearm-year/

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    When I lived there they made it as painful as possible to deal with. The only range near me that offered the course was like an hour away, only taught it during the week, and it was like $300... Hard pass. Moved back to Indiana.
    I’m happy to say things have improved a lot. There’s a big network of instructors and ranges online, classes are offered on weekends, and my course cost $125. But it still does suck.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I’m happy to say things have improved a lot. There’s a big network of instructors and ranges online, classes are offered on weekends, and my course cost $125. But it still does suck.

Yeah, this was back in 2006/7. There wasn't even reciprocity back then. Glad to hear things are going the right way. Hopefully they keep doing so and the requirement drops altogether.

Top Bottom