Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    1-in-4 Americans have no intention of getting the vaccine so we will reach herd immunity when a bunch more people get Covid and recover from it, which hopefully times well with vaccinations to reach a high enough level that a combination of infected, recovered & vaccinated people = herd immunity.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have no doubt that 1 in 4 will become 1 in 5 and then 1 in 6... as time goes on and they realize their friends and family didn't become zombies from it.
    I'm sure you are right. I get having misgivings about something that was developed quickly that you know nothing about, but the information is out there if a person is that concerned.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I'm sure you are right. I get having misgivings about something that was developed quickly that you know nothing about, but the information is out there if a person is that concerned.
    There's allot of info out there. There's also allot of conflicting info out there. Sometimes the answer lies in just being able to discuss it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There's allot of info out there. There's also allot of conflicting info out there. Sometimes the answer lies in just being able to discuss it.
    I think there's a problem when people trust just one side as a source, because the full truth is rarely found on just one side. I don't think this is any different. The sources of information we have available are not immune to the failures of human nature. But that doesn't mean I'm saying the one side is wrong. On this topic, probably information on the establishment side is more reliable than the anti-establishment side.

That doesn't mean the anti-establishment side is all wrong and the establishment side is all right. But I think what's right is skewed towards scientifically derived information. However, are we getting all the information? Companies who make profits from products tend to be quite biased towards their products, and even less forthcoming with unfavorable information. So there's room there for hidden information, or a rosier perspective than reality bears. But unless one is part of that world it is hard to sift through those things and know when you're being snowed.

So, let's just say that I'm hopeful but I am less confident than some others here that the vaccine is capable of ending the pandemic. I don't think the confidence is justified without some well researched studies that prove spread among vaccinated people is too low to sustain the virus. I do think it's encouraging that our numbers are declining. And with the number of vaccinated people exceeding the number of positives now, maybe that's partly due to the vaccine. I'm still in the "you first" mode.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    In the United States, the 1952 polio epidemic became the worst outbreak in the nation's history. Of the nearly 58,000 cases reported that year, 3,145 died and 21,269 were left with mild to disabling paralysis

Credit (above): Wikipedia

I was born in 1952, and saw first-hand the results of polio. My best friend's brother had a withered arm .... as did another friend's wife. I suppose that they were lucky, in that they lived, but both have suffered long and hard throughout their lives

Although rare today in developed countries, there is still no cure for polio.
    However, when Jonas Salk released his vaccine in 1955, there was quickly an immunity that spread throughout the USA, and now, it's virtually non-existent in our country.

When my age group was announced on Monday, I quickly signed-up for an appointment, and received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday afternoon.

I won't judge others for their choices, but am saddened by the resistance, and mistrust of the vaccine, and the science behind it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom