• ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I was at McCormick place yesterday for a conference/trade show. Inside there were a few LEOs roaming around, no security to walk through, and one of the LEOs had a dog sniffing around. I am assuming that was a bomb sniffing dog and they were doing a security sweep of the building prior to the event starting.

I wonder though if a dog trained to sniff out explosives would signal to a person with a fiream?

I have guns and carry methods that allow pretty much completely undetectable carry, but I don't think I could beat a dog.

I don't mean for this to devolve into an argument about carrying in a non-permissive environment. But I do mean for it to be a warning for us that would ignore laws repugnant to the Constitution and individual liberty.

Be careful folks!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    They can. I think it depends on their training. We have asked for a "Ballistics" dog to find discarded handguns on foot pursuits. I don't know it ALL of our explosive dogs are able to respond, I'm thinking not. I was at Baker's Life last night for State wrestling semi-finals and was hanging out with my friend/co-worker who was on duty with his bomb dog. Playing with the dog and she never alerted on my AIWB G19 right in front of her nose. If they are ballistics trained and you haven't cleaned your handgun...maybe.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    They can. I think it depends on their training. We have asked for a "Ballistics" dog to find discarded handguns on foot pursuits. I don't know it ALL of our explosive dogs are able to respond, I'm thinking not. I was at Baker's Life last night for State wrestling semi-finals and was hanging out with my friend/co-worker who was on duty with his bomb dog. Playing with the dog and she never alerted on my AIWB G19 right in front of her nose. If they are ballistics trained and you haven't cleaned your handgun...maybe.
    Ah, interesting.
    Do the bomb sniffing dogs sense the powder? If so is a sealed cartridge going to fool them?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Very interesting. The dogs don't alert on the smell of gun oil?

What about cover scents, body sprays and the like? Would that mask the firearm's scent?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Keep your guns clean.

56RI5f2.jpg

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    In the service, one of the K-9s always alerted on refridgerators. When the door was opened it would attack any sandwich in there. Made it a pain in the rump when I was in charge of a drug search and that dog and handler got assigned to me for a barracks search. I hated that dog. It found drugs. It also ate a Big Mac. Yes, I believe any K-9 can be taught to alert by how the handler handles the dog. I didn't want any dishonest handling around me. I also know that handler could have stopped that dog from eating people's food. The handler ticked me off more than the dog.

Top Bottom