• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Whatever you're riding or driving obey the rules of the road. Too many motorists think inertia and size gives them the right of way and have no need to stop at stop signs or yield at any time. I've had one flip me off on a rural road where I gave him plenty of room...sorry you weren't driving a Shelby GT500 convertible too...loser.
    FIFY

Maybe motorists should get their own house in order before throwing stones at others. Just like everyone else, a do as I say, not as I do, is common here. Do you guys think we do not see all the bad driving out there? Do you see it?

Speeding, distracted driving, failure to signal, failure to yield, failure to stop. Heck motorists absolutely refuse to stop anymore. Left turns, even with an arrow, the oncoming right turn on red drivers will not stop, they just slow a little and roll, even if left turning vehicles have the green arrow.

But cyclists are the problem. Hypocrite much?

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I think the only points I would bring up on the subject in this very long thread would be the fact that I'm sometimes shocked at the level of risk cyclists/walkers/runners take on rural roads. I've seen people literally almost die because they are exercising with their back to traffic (many times with earbuds in or even OVER the ear headphones on, CRAZY. Some drivers do the same crap!!) and in a place where the speed limit is 45+with no shoulder and it's a narrow road. I haven't had a close call myself (whether riding or driving) but if someone was driving distracted in the same places I'm thinking of in my area for just a second and were to come up on the cyclist, runner, walker, I can see where there is a high risk of those people getting hit. I have almost been hit car to car.
    As far as distracted is concerned let's be honest, everyone is at certain times even if it's very minimal. You are a flat out liar if you say otherwise.
    That could be a deer, the radio, another car, whatever.

The real issues I've witnessed is where there are steep hills and blind curves(heavy vegetation right next to the road throughout the curve blocking the view ahead in the curve).
    Cresting the hill or coming around the curve at even 30-40mph can on some roads, give even an alert motorist very little time to react to someone or multiple people in the middle of the lane moving at 2-15mph. I've also seen motorists in the opposing lane cutting the inside of a curve into the wrong lane and almost hit people in the same areas!

I have no issue with these people using public roads in principle or as a right and I used to do it several years ago myself. I was very intentional about where I rode or ran though. However, I decided I'd rather be on a path made strictly for pedestrians/bikes rather than taking all of the risks involved with riding on public roads considering how distracted motorists are these days and the attitude of many idiots behind the wheel.

Point being, it only takes one mistake or act of carelessness by a motorist to kill someone. It really doesn't matter if they were in the wrong or not, dead is dead, paralyzed is paralyzed etc. We can get ourselves in a bad situation and have done nothing "WRONG" but it was UNWISE and risky. Who's fault it would be is irrelevant in the end. Our spouses and kids would strongly agree.

My cousin lives in Tucson and has told me that groups of cross fitters and cyclists literally block traffic on county roads and act like they don't have to move for as long as they want to stay in the lane. This is completely asinine and that's when I have a problem with it. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I don't think this is the norm but it obviously happens.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think the only points I would bring up on the subject in this very long thread would be the fact that I'm sometimes shocked at the level of risk cyclists/walkers/runners take on rural roads. I've seen people literally almost die because they are exercising with their back to traffic (many times with earbuds in or even OVER the ear headphones on, CRAZY. Some drivers do the same crap!!) and in a place where the speed limit is 45+with no shoulder and it's a narrow road. I haven't had a close call myself (whether riding or driving) but if someone was driving distracted in the same places I'm thinking of in my area for just a second and were to come up on the cyclist, runner, walker, I can see where there is a high risk of those people getting hit. I have almost been hit car to car.
    As far as distracted is concerned let's be honest, everyone is at certain times even if it's very minimal. You are a flat out liar if you say otherwise.
    That could be a deer, the radio, another car, whatever.

The real issues I've witnessed is where there are steep hills and blind curves(heavy vegetation right next to the road throughout the curve blocking the view ahead in the curve).
    Cresting the hill or coming around the curve at even 30-40mph can on some roads, give even an alert motorist very little time to react to someone or multiple people in the middle of the lane moving at 2-15mph. I've also seen motorists in the opposing lane cutting the inside of a curve into the wrong lane and almost hit people in the same areas!

I have no issue with these people using public roads in principle or as a right and I used to do it several years ago myself. I was very intentional about where I rode or ran though. However, I decided I'd rather be on a path made strictly for pedestrians/bikes rather than taking all of the risks involved with riding on public roads considering how distracted motorists are these days and the attitude of many idiots behind the wheel.

Point being, it only takes one mistake or act of carelessness by a motorist to kill someone. It really doesn't matter if they were in the wrong or not, dead is dead, paralyzed is paralyzed etc. We can get ourselves in a bad situation and have done nothing "WRONG" but it was UNWISE and risky. Who's fault it would be is irrelevant in the end. Our spouses and kids would strongly agree.

My cousin lives in Tucson and has told me that groups of cross fitters and cyclists literally block traffic on county roads and act like they don't have to move for as long as they want to stay in the lane. This is completely asinine and that's when I have a problem with it. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I don't think this is the norm but it obviously happens.
    Yeah, good thing only cyclists ever travel in large groups, filling the lane and inconveniencing anyone else trying to use the road

images.jpeg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah, good thing only cyclists ever travel in large groups, filling the lane and inconveniencing anyone else trying to use the road

View attachment 339289
    Shot from another bike. No proof of inconvenience.

No shot of speedometer. Bet it's faster than 10.mph but there are Harleys in there.....

No other vehicles in sight.

Probably a privately owned test road.

At first I thought you had me...

Then I imagined the bike to the left, off camera, was my favorite political figure of all time, and I asked myself if I was xxx how would I defend him or her.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    FIFY

Maybe motorists should get their own house in order before throwing stones at others. Just like everyone else, a do as I say, not as I do, is common here. Do you guys think we do not see all the bad driving out there? Do you see it?

Speeding, distracted driving, failure to signal, failure to yield, failure to stop. Heck motorists absolutely refuse to stop anymore. Left turns, even with an arrow, the oncoming right turn on red drivers will not stop, they just slow a little and roll, even if left turning vehicles have the green arrow.

But cyclists are the problem. Hypocrite much?
    "Hypocrite much?" **** off. I try to obey the rules of the road and give my fellow users their due course. It is generally not reciprocated and almost universally not by the two legged speed bumps who demand more than their right of way.

Just because you see other people behaving badly (many may be illegals with no license or ability to read road signs) does not give you the right to ignore traffic laws, which are meant to make us all play well together, just because it's you.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. What makes the difference is this:

If you talk to any random motorist and say "I almost got in an accident earlier today because some idiot driver blew a stop sign in front of me" 99% of the time they'll answer "Yeah, that's awful, what an idiot and a jerk."

But you tell a cyclist that you had someone on a bicycle blow a stop sign in front of you and it's all "Oh, but but but what about all those motorists who do the same thing? And you don't know what he was thinking! What about preserving inertia? Or maybe he had a bear chasing him, or rabid roofing nails in the road chewed his brakes off..."

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "Hypocrite much?" **** off. I try to obey the rules of the road and give my fellow users their due course. It is generally not reciprocated and almost universally not by the two legged speed bumps who demand more than their right of way.

Just because you see other people behaving badly (many may be illegals with no license or ability to read road signs) does not give you the right to ignore traffic laws, which are meant to make us all play well together, just because it's you.
    So you admit drivers don’t offer courtesy and follow laws but still want to throw stones at cyclists and even want to give illegals a pass. Seems like you should do what you said.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. What makes the difference is this:

If you talk to any random motorist and say "I almost got in an accident earlier today because some idiot driver blew a stop sign in front of me" 99% of the time they'll answer "Yeah, that's awful, what an idiot and a jerk."

But you tell a cyclist that you had someone on a bicycle blow a stop sign in front of you and it's all "Oh, but but but what about all those motorists who do the same thing? And you don't know what he was thinking! What about preserving inertia? Or maybe he had a bear chasing him, or rabid roofing nails in the road chewed his brakes off..."
    Or maybe you should get your butt out there and find out how drivers treat cyclists. The cyclists thinking is from how motorists treat them.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Or maybe you should get your butt out there and find out how drivers treat cyclists. The cyclists thinking is from how motorists treat them.
    ^^^ Case in point.

Also, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that has nothing to do with how I conducted myself on the road, but I never had a bad experience with a motorist during my cycling days.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    ^^^ Case in point.

Also, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that has nothing to do with how I conducted myself on the road, but I never had a bad experience with a motorist during my cycling days.
    I find it hard to believe one can ride much and never have a bad experience with a motorist, for reference, your cycling days consisted of how many miles ridden per year? In mine I had over 5000 per year and over 50,000 miles when I was seriously cycling. I have ridden 10-20 miles to a century then rode the same back after.

Today’s motorists are too distracted (phones, food, drugs) and are often startled by cyclists because they are so distracted (why I quit serious road cycling). They also don’t follow the laws and right of way, but oh so love to nitpick cyclists.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I'll have you know I did my nice deed for the day. My commute is 2 miles of gravel plus a bit of paved road.
    At 7:30 (ETA it felt so much earlier!!) I see a cyclist turn onto the gravel a half mile up coming towards me. Not much dust but what there was was not going towards him, but I still slowed to a crawl and moved over far enough to let him stay in the hardpack track.
    Got a big smile and wave and gained reputation points I'm sure.
    We're not all the same out there. Just in here, arguing with you.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So you admit drivers don’t offer courtesy and follow laws but still want to throw stones at cyclists and even want to give illegals a pass. Seems like you should do what you said.
    You apparently have a reading comprehension problem when anyone challenges your cyclists should rule the road beliefs (and are morally superior no doubt). How else could you think that I would want to "give illegals a pass"?

And I do do what I said. :chillpill:

Top Bottom