Mooresville

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

I used to ride my bike to Grissom ARB from Greentown. Left for work at 4:30 in morning and felt very safe until I had to cross U.S. 31. Once across, riding on the aeroplex was very safe. I enjoyed the ride and usually didn't see another car on the backroads until I got to Bunker Hill.

Leaving work at 3:30pm was stressful. U.S. 31 always had a lot more traffic in the afternoon. After the new bypass around Kokomo was built, traffic volume increased greatly and I gave up riding to work.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons

GULF STREAM, Fla. — Delray Beach fire officials said seven people were taken to the hospital Thursday morning following a crash involving a car and a group of bicyclists in Gulf Stream.

The Florida Highway Patrol said the crash happened just after 6 a.m. along North Ocean Boulevard, right in front of Gulf Stream Golf Club.

According to an FHP report, a 77-year-old woman from Lantana was driving a 2020 Kia Soul southbound on North Ocean Boulevard.

Delray Beach police respond to a crash between a car and group of cyclists on North Ocean Boulevard, right in front of Gulf Stream Golf Club, on Jan. 4, 2024.jpg

WPTV
    Delray Beach police respond to a crash between a car and group of cyclists on North Ocean Boulevard, right in front of Gulf Stream Golf Club, on Jan. 4, 2024.
    A group of eight bicyclists were heading north in the northbound lane and all riding abreast with one another, the FHP report said.

For an unknown reason, the driver of the Kia Soul crossed the center lane divider and entered the northbound lane of the road while continuing to travel south.

The front of the vehicle collided with a 43-year-old cyclist from Boca Raton, as well as the rest of the group of bicyclists.

The vehicle was driven onto an unpaved shoulder of North Ocean Boulevard and came to a stop facing south.

The report said the 43-year-old cyclist was separated from his bicycle and tumbled/rolled onto the northbound lane of the road. He was taken to Delray Medical Center with injuries described as "incapacitating."

The driver of the vehicle, along with six cyclists, were taken to the hospital. Three of the bicyclists were trauma alerts, Delray Beach public safety spokesman Ted White said.

Delray Beach police respond to a crash between a car and group of cyclists on North Ocean Boulevard, right in front of Gulf Stream Golf Club, on Jan. 4, 2024 (1).jpg

WPTV
    Delray Beach police respond to a crash between a car and group of cyclists on North Ocean Boulevard, right in front of Gulf Stream Golf Club, on Jan. 4, 2024.
    The FHP report did not identify the driver or any of the injured cyclists.

Photos from our WPTV news crew at the scene showed the front of a silver SUV smashed up, as well as debris from the bicycles scattered across the road.

North Ocean Boulevard, starting at George Bush Boulevard, was closed for hours Thursday, but eventually reopened before 1 p.m.

"It was a pretty chaotic incident," said Chief Richard Jones of the Gulf Stream Police Department.

Jones was in the area and the first to arrive at the scene. A crash like this is something this small police department doesn't deal with often.

"Typically, crashes involving cyclists are typically cyclist-on-cyclist incidents and not groups of cyclists that are struck by a vehicle," Jones said.

Jones told WPTV that his agency is diligent about educating and enforcing the law in these popular scenic areas. He said this stretch of North Ocean Boulevard is one where bikes and vehicles must share the road.

"There are not many areas along A1A corridor that actually have designated bicycle lanes that allow for that two abreast or more to ride. It's really restricted to a single-file ride," Jones said.

WPTV spoke to one cyclist visiting from Canada who said this is the last and only time he'll bike on this road.

"Nobody told me the road is like this. This is the first time I take this side from my condo," Carol Gauvrau said. "It's not safe, no. I think I'll turn around and go this way."

Gulf Stream police said the cyclists were all wearing helmets.

The FHP has not said if the driver will be cited or face any charges.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wonder if “we don’t need it; we can’t afford it” will be an acceptable response.

Public Comment Open for Proposed US Bike Route 37

At the request of local and regional bicycle advocates working in collaboration with Adventure Cycling Association, INDOT will be submitting an application to AASHTO’s Special Committee on US Route Numbering to designate the proposed USBR 37.

Previously, INDOT solicited public feedback on the designation from April 26-May 10, 2023. Based on that feedback, the route was altered in three specific segments out of concern for rider safety.

INDOT is accepting public comments and feedback on the altered route February 26-March 4. Comments can be directed to Brandon Burgoa at BrBurgoa@indot.IN.gov.

For more information on the proposed USBR 37 and the alternative selection process, please see the introductory white paper below.

The following Ride with GPS hyperlinks are provided by the Adventure Cycling Association, allowing visitors to zoom and pan on an interactive digital map. Ride with GPS is a third-party website with no direct affiliation to INDOT.

Proposed USBR 37 Southbound - Ride with GPS

Proposed USBR 37 Northbound – Ride with GPS

Thank you for your feedback!

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

Where to Ride​

• Bicyclists are required to ride in the right hand lane or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge of the roadway, when traveling slower than the speed of traffic.
    • Bicyclists may (but are not required to) utilize any usable bicycle lane.
    • Bicycles are not prohibited from being ridden on the sidewalks but bicyclists should check their local ordinances for variations.

OW TO RIDE​

• Bicyclists shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of the roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
    • Bicyclists are required to slow down and come to a complete stop at stop signs and traffic devices signaling red. However, after a bicyclist comes to a complete stop at a steady red traffic signal, and waits for two (2) minutes or 120 seconds, the bicyclist, exercising due care, may treat the red traffic signal as a stop sign and may proceed once safe. (Dead Red)
    • Bicyclists must signal when turning or coming to a stop.
    If those are indeed the laws in Indiana governing bikes, then very rarely do I see any cyclists abiding by the "riding as close as practicable do the right-hand edge of the roadway" and I've never seen a cyclist "come to a complete stop at stop signs". YMMV.

I've always been baffled with the groups of cyclists riding 3-5 abreast well under any posted speed limit and taking up an entire lane of traffic. With the distracted driving going on everywhere, it seems they are putting themselves in a position to be injured or killed on a regular basis. I value my own life enough not to do that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If those are indeed the laws in Indiana governing bikes, then very rarely do I see any cyclists abiding by the "riding as close as practicable do the right-hand edge of the roadway" and
    The law says as close a “practicable”. That does not mean on the white line. That means in a reasonable riding position on the right side of the lane. Then the physical condition of the lane comes into play as well, are there cracks or holes then the cyclist may be even further over to the left. Who gets to decide “practicable”? The cyclist, the next level of decision would be the judge in court.

The law also says “Motor vehicle drivers are required to safely pass bicyclists with at least three (3) feet clearance and shall not return to their lane of travel until it is safe to do so”. There is not room in a typical driving lane for both a car and bike.

I've never seen a cyclist "come to a complete stop at stop signs". YMMV.
    This is a case of the law not matching the activity. Many states are changing this law to a stop sign equals a yield to cyclists so if it is clear the cyclist can just go and get out of the way versus stopping then getting moving again while cars are behind waiting.

I've always been baffled with the groups of cyclists riding 3-5 abreast well under any posted speed limit and taking up an entire lane of traffic.
    It doesn’t matter what cyclists do, motorists will complain. It is in full evidence in this very thread. Correct, the law says two abreast, but again, sometimes laws don’t match reality. The laws written many years ago never foresaw 50 riders on a group ride and thus do not reference that activity.

If the bike 50 bikes are two abreast they may be 200 feet long. Four abreast makes that a 100 feet to pass, a shorter distance passing and either way the vehicle must cross over into the oncoming lane to pass so nothing is lost to the motorist but they sure like to point out cyclists for it while ignoring all the laws they violate daily.

With the distracted driving going on everywhere, it seems they are putting themselves in a position to be injured or killed on a regular basis. I value my own life enough not to do that.
    This is exactly why I quit road riding as have many others. But isn’t the acceptance of this a bit like blaming a rape victim of wearing to short of a skirt?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It doesn’t matter what cyclists do, motorists will complain. It is in full evidence in this very thread. Correct, the law says two abreast, but again, sometimes laws don’t match reality. The laws written many years ago never foresaw 50 riders on a group ride and thus do not reference that activity.

The 1A only applies to quill pens and paper and the 2A only covers muskets...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If those are indeed the laws in Indiana governing bikes, then very rarely do I see any cyclists abiding by the "riding as close as practicable do the right-hand edge of the roadway" and I've never seen a cyclist "come to a complete stop at stop signs". YMMV.

I've always been baffled with the groups of cyclists riding 3-5 abreast well under any posted speed limit and taking up an entire lane of traffic. With the distracted driving going on everywhere, it seems they are putting themselves in a position to be injured or killed on a regular basis. I value my own life enough not to do that.

Yes, but their tires will remain nail free! Think of the tires!

Top Bottom