• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Just this morning, on our way to lunch, light rain, two idiots riding side by side on the road, taking up the entire lane ahead of us, not 25 feet from the damn bike path! I guess it was raining harder on the path?

Oh, and they ran a stop sign, too. I guess they would have gotten wetter by stopping?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A properly placed blind-spot mirror wouldn't require you to take your eyes off the path.

That said: maybe putting the bench on the other side of the path and prohibiting people from standing in the path would be the best approach.
    Not the other side. I don't think that would help. They'd still congregate. But moving it down 50 or so feet gives people riding down the hill more time see them and more time to slow down. You can make it as prohibited as you want. I've never seen anyone patrolling the path. Some people follow the rules and some people just don't.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Not the other side. I don't think that would help. They'd still congregate. But moving it down 50 or so feet gives people riding down the hill more time see them and more time to slow down. You can make it as prohibited as you want. I've never seen anyone patrolling the path. Some people follow the rules and some people just don't.
    Well if you prohibit it then your lawsuit, when you hit them, might not be frivolous.

I’m so disappointed in myself for still reading this thread.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Just this morning, on our way to lunch, light rain, two idiots riding side by side on the road, taking up the entire lane ahead of us, not 25 feet from the damn bike path! I guess it was raining harder on the path?

Oh, and they ran a stop sign, too. I guess they would have gotten wetter by stopping?
    This post answers the OP's title question.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A practical approach here for sure but that is not the point. The point is the court in Illinois made a permitted user group a second class by stripping them of legal protections and unwittingly increased liability for bike paths…

Why should a road that is designed to the standards for motor-vehicles, and is maintained as such, be forced to conform to bicycles? That's essentially what you're demanding here.

Okay. So as to make it your way, let's stop permitting the bicycles so we don't have to make every road conform to the safety standards of bicycles. Hows that? Then you don't need to worry about going to court if you hit a pothole that's not to big for a car, but is too big for your bicycle, because you won't be riding on that road at all.

Now. How is that unwittingly increasing the liability for bike paths?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why should a road that is designed to the standards for motor-vehicles, and is maintained as such, be forced to conform to bicycles? That's essentially what you're demanding here.
    Not what I said. That is what you said. The legal logic seems illogical to me that a permitted user class loses legal protections

Okay. So as to make it your way, let's stop permitting the bicycles so we don't have to make every road conform to the safety standards of bicycles. Hows that? Then you don't need to worry about going to court if you hit a pothole that's not to big for a car, but is too big for your bicycle, because you won't be riding on that road at all.
    Pass that law if you can.

Now. How is that unwittingly increasing the liability for bike paths?
    If the logic expressed about “intended” users then those bike lanes in the roads must be maintained at bike safe levels.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

So you're saying that you want them to strip to their underwear and ride in the cold rain.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not what I said. That is what you said. The legal logic seems illogical to me that a permitted user class loses legal protections
    It's not a loss if they don't have them. For them to sue for some pothole that's only an inconvenience for cars, but is worse for bicycles. I think you're effectively saying that they should make the standards for roads such that bicycles are an intended use as well, so that you can sue when a pothole gets a little bit too big for a bicycle. Well, that takes the standard from a road designed for cars, to a road that is designed for both cars and bicycles. I think you should pay for that. Then you get to sue over dinky potholes or whatever.

Pass that law if you can.
    Obviously that was a "should" statement. Which often does not equal what is. It's cheaper to kick you off of some roads than to make those roads meet the standards bicycles need for safety.

If the logic expressed about “intended” users then those bike lanes in the roads must be maintained at bike safe levels.

It seems quite logical to me that if there are bicycle lanes, that only bicycles get to be in (at least that's how they are around here) they're intended expressly for bicycles. So they would need to meet the safety standards for bicycles. Why is this even part of the conversation? It seems obvious.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I also hear he is going to build miles and miles of beautiful bike paths and make the cyclists pay for it!!!
    That would probably destroy Mike's circuitry. It would be like the Star Trek episode, "I, Mudd" where the crew of the Enterprise confuse the computer and break it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That would probably destroy Mike's circuitry. It would be like the Star Trek episode, "I, Mudd" where the crew of the Enterprise confuse the computer and break it.
    I would go with the Austin Power's fembots scene. Better eye candy

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would go with the Austin Power's fembots scene.
    Okay? So Austin Power is another? Apparent culturally important movie? I've never seen. So. I have no idea what you're talking about.

I put the question marks where they don't belong so that when you hear it in your head, it sounds like one of the Millennials I work with when he talks. Every sentence sounds like a question, unless it's getting to a point. But anyway, seriously, I've never seen Austin Powers. Prolly gonna need to watch that because I feel like I'm missing a lot of pop culture references.

Know anywhere I can watch it for free? I feel like pop culture shouldn't cost anything.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Austin Power's is a must see. Especially if you are a James Bond, Flint etc fan. And even more so if you are a fan of innuendo and sight gags.

I highly recommend both of them.....much more so than Midnight Cowboy. I would recommend that movie only to Printcraft but he can probably quote it by heart and has it on video discussion, vhs, DVD, bluray and whatever the hell else format they have come not to entice fans to buy again

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Okay? So Austin Power is another? Apparent culturally important movie? I've never seen. So. I have no idea what you're talking about.

I put the question marks where they don't belong so that when you hear it in your head, it sounds like one of the Millennials I work with when he talks. Every sentence sounds like a question, unless it's getting to a point. But anyway, seriously, I've never seen Austin Powers. Prolly gonna need to watch that because I feel like I'm missing a lot of pop culture references.

Know anywhere I can watch it for free? I feel like pop culture shouldn't cost anything.

Even *I* have seen Austin Powers....

Top Bottom