• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You don't need to be on a bike to experience that. Try commuting into and out of Chicago on a daily basis. People generally suck. The more you get together in an area, the more they suck.
    It is a completely different level on a bike. I believe it is so because scaredy cat drivers are not scared of hitting a bike…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Try commuting into and out of Chicago on a daily basis.

giphy.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don’t disagree with any of this. Have very similar experience including RAIN and usually a 24 hour race once or so a year. Organized centuries and the like were fun easy days. I too have left the road, because of the number of close calls it just did not seem worth it anymore.
    Any rider who crosses 2nd street bridge in Louisville is taking their lives in their own hands. Seems too often I hear about cyclist getting hit, some fatally.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Correct. Not capitalized. Thank you.

BTW, I haven't thought about the impending EMP attack. I guess I'll have to start storing my bike in a Faraday cage just in case. Or roll the dice with knee surgery.
    Not sure about the battery, maybe just disconnect the power leads and wrap the control circuit board(s) in metal foil

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Any rider who crosses 2nd street bridge in Louisville is taking their lives in their own hands. Seems too often I hear about cyclist getting hit, some fatally.

I used to ride across that bridge all the time, before the toll bridge existed and pushed so much more traffic there (2000-2003). On the sidewalk, then down onto the riverwalk. I rode about 2 hours a day when I worked in Jeffersonville in the little office complex near the foot of the bridge.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I don’t disagree with any of this. Have very similar experience including RAIN and usually a 24 hour race once or so a year. Organized centuries and the like were fun easy days. I too have left the road, because of the number of close calls it just did not seem worth it anymore.
    Even 10 years ago it wasn't near as bad, with only a few individuals to watch out for... nowadays, you have to watch everyone! Not worth the risk to be on the road, even out in the county riding rural!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    You don't need to be on a bike to experience that. Try commuting into and out of Chicago on a daily basis. People generally suck. The more you get together in an area, the more they suck.
    Through COVID and the Riots (aka, 'peaceful protest's) of 2020-21, I ran a route to SW Chicago area and finally got to the point where I said, 'screw it,' I'll earn less $$ elsewhere and I quit!
    Horrible and stressful didn't cover it!
    Too much stupid to process on a daily basis!

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I also have issues with the people hauling homes and large buildings down the road. I either get behind one or two of these a week, usually making me go off the berm cause they take it all.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Through COVID and the Riots (aka, 'peaceful protest's) of 2020-21, I ran a route to SW Chicago area and finally got to the point where I said, 'screw it,' I'll earn less $$ elsewhere and I quit!
    Horrible and stressful didn't cover it!
    Too much stupid to process on a daily basis!
    I did it from 2005 until 3/16/2020. It's a miracle I never got hit by anyone in that time. I can very close a lot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2022
    Mccordsville
    This.

I think its the hard core "I am entitled to use the road too. Deal with it." crew that also fails to cooperate with motorists. E.g. they want to take whatever part of the road, and as much of it as they want (including riding abreast) even though they cant maintain the speed limits.

They are no better than motorists that drive slow in the left lane, dont maintain the speed limit, etc.
    To me, many of the cyclists today are like someone who starts walking down range before a ceasefire is declared. Or they handle their firearms while you're down range. Sure they can come shoot at the range, but not following the rules or using common sense can easily cause death to themselves or others. A cyclist on the other hand will attempt to yell and scream at you about how they have a right to be there to cause these problems. It's my opinion that they shouldn't have the right to be there. Also there's a perceived idea that any accident with a cyclist would come down to being the drivers fault? I've got no love for anyone who thinks it's a good idea to play on these roads with vehicles who are 2 to 4 times faster and can struggle to even see a cyclist until its too late. I'd like to ride my bike to work too, but I'm not gullible enough to think that I could make it there in one piece on these roads and I sure as heck am not going to put myself in harms way for that right to share the road with all these great drivers out there.

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    This threads getting pretty long so if it was already mentioned I apologize. Personally, where I'm at in the northeast, we've got two types. People who ride bikes and cyclists.

Cyclists tend to be easy to differentiate since they're kitted out in a set of gear like they're about to take on the tour de france.

I live in a fairly rural area but we've got a lot of sub divisions going in which have brought larger numbers of cyclists out on hilly county roads. People riding bikes tend to hug the edge of the road, take precautions in areas of low visibility and give right of way to motor vehicles.

Cyclists on the other hand will ride in the middle of the road in a valley. These roads don't often have good passing areas either so if you get behind one, you're stuck. Pretty much every single time they just stay where they are, maintaining their 15 mph speed (if you're lucky they're going that fast). Or, as others have mentioned, they blow through stop signs in areas where cross traffic doesn't stop. This is where the hate comes from in my neck of the woods.

I was taught as a kid to watch out for cars and pull off to the side to let them pass. I do the same thing now as an adult. If they showed just a little consideration and common sense while trying not to impede traffic, I don't think anyone would have a problem.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To me, many of the motorists today are like someone who starts walking down range before a ceasefire is declared. Or they handle their firearms while you're down range. Sure they can come shoot at the range, but not following the rules or using common sense can easily cause death to themselves or others. A motorist on the other hand will attempt to yell and scream at you about how they have a right to be there to cause these problems.
    I fixed it for you.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    basically cyclists think they are right about everything and know what's best for you. once that is understood, they are very easy to understand and very simplistic

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To me, many of the cyclists today are like someone who starts walking down range before a ceasefire is declared. Or they handle their firearms while you're down range. Sure they can come shoot at the range, but not following the rules or using common sense can easily cause death to themselves or others. A cyclist on the other hand will attempt to yell and scream at you about how they have a right to be there to cause these problems. It's my opinion that they shouldn't have the right to be there.

Do you really think motorist actually follow the rules of the road? Clue, they do not. That is why millions of traffic tickets are written each year. The audacity to selfishly try to push other legal road users off the roadways when motorists are no better at following the rules so piously espoused here.
    Also there's a perceived idea that any accident with a cyclist would come down to being the drivers fault?

Perceived where? In your mind, as that is not the case at all.
    I've got no love for anyone who thinks it's a good idea to play on these roads with vehicles who are 2 to 4 times faster and can struggle to even see a cyclist until its too late. I'd like to ride my bike to work too, but I'm not gullible enough to think that I could make it there in one piece on these roads and I sure as heck am not going to put myself in harms way for that right to share the road with all these great drivers out there.
    Dirty Harry said, “a man has got to know his limitations” glad you know yours…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This threads getting pretty long so if it was already mentioned I apologize. Personally, where I'm at in the northeast, we've got two types. People who ride bikes and cyclists.

Cyclists tend to be easy to differentiate since they're kitted out in a set of gear like they're about to take on the tour de france.

I live in a fairly rural area but we've got a lot of sub divisions going in which have brought larger numbers of cyclists out on hilly county roads. People riding bikes tend to hug the edge of the road, take precautions in areas of low visibility and give right of way to motor vehicles.

Cyclists on the other hand will ride in the middle of the road in a valley. These roads don't often have good passing areas either so if you get behind one, you're stuck. Pretty much every single time they just stay where they are, maintaining their 15 mph speed (if you're lucky they're going that fast). Or, as others have mentioned, they blow through stop signs in areas where cross traffic doesn't stop. This is where the hate comes from in my neck of the woods.

I was taught as a kid to watch out for cars and pull off to the side to let them pass. I do the same thing now as an adult. If they showed just a little consideration and common sense while trying not to impede traffic, I don't think anyone would have a problem.
    One of the most dangerous places for a cyclist to be is to hug the edge of the road, particularly when on a hilly, curvy road where visibility is limited. Cars will attempt to pass when no one can know if it is clear to make a pass or not and if the oncoming vehicle appears they will take out the cyclist. Seen it happen.

As for getting over, the law says that cyclists must yield to following traffic when three or more are following, at the first practicable spot to pull over. This does not mean they must stop and stand in the ditch along the road to let cars by…

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    As for getting over, the law says that cyclists must yield to following traffic when three or more are following, at the first practicable spot to pull over. This does not mean they must stop and stand in the ditch along the road to let cars by…
    In that case, if they choose to cycle long stretches of road where there's no practicable spot to pull over, wouldn't that mean they're knowingly impeding traffic and therefore choosing to earn of the ire of everyone who has to crawl behind them rather than drive an appropriate speed? They're essentially choosing to say their recreation is more important than other's time.

These are rural roads with no business or community areas nearby. They're not going to work or traveling to a destination. Meanwhile, the people who live there and have to commute to work have to put up with it. I've already changed my route home to a longer one because it's still much faster than dealing with cyclists who turn a 20 minute commute into a 35 minute one.

A good percentage of drivers are oblivious and careless. They don't have much consideration for others. From personal experience, there's a higher percentage of cyclists who are the same way.

I'm not trying to say all cyclists are this way, but there's enough that when you see one, you get to the point where you assume they're gonna be an entitled pain who's gonna delay your commute.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Universal Citation: IN Code § 9-21-8-5 (2022)
    Sec. 5. The following rules govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to the limitations, exceptions, and special rules stated:

(1) A person who drives a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left of the other vehicle at a safe distance and may not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.

(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, a person who drives an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and may not increase the speed of the overtaken vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

(3) The operator of a vehicle overtaking a bicycle or electric bicycle shall:

(A) allow at least three (3) feet of clearance between the vehicle and the bicycle; and

(B) not return the vehicle to the vehicle's original lane of travel until the vehicle is safely clear of the bicycle.

(4) The operator of a vehicle may pass a bicycle or electric bicycle traveling in the same direction in a no passing zone when it is safe to do so, if the operator of the overtaking motor vehicle complies with subdivisions (1) and (3).
    You ALREADY have the right to pass a bicyclist by putting wheels over the double yellow. There should be no need for the bicyclist to 'give way' as so many herein insist

Elsewhere in the IC, you can find that it is legal for bicyclists to ride two up and that they are not required to use a bike lane just because one is available, they are allowed to use the travel lanes. I have already stated that I believe cyclists should ride single file except in very specific circumstances such as occupying the head of a turn lane (and that is to keep the cage people off them until they complete the turn)

A road bike is just a few inches over 5 feet long, a mountain bike is even shorter. Using the numbers cited in the thread, we have a cyclist traveling at 15 mph (22 fps). Even though you should be able to look ahead and judge passing clearance without matching speeds, lets say you do have to slow to 15 mph. Most cars can stop from 60 in 140 feet or less. A full stop would take about 3 seconds, so shedding 3/4 of your speed but at less than panic stop braking might take the same. Most cars can do 0 to 60 in 8 seconds or less, so to reaccelerate from 15 mph to 30 in order tp pass should take no more than 1/4 of that or 2 seconds. The entire slow to 15 (3 seconds), take 5 seconds to assess oncoming traffic, swing two wheels over the double yellow and accelerate to at least 30 mph (2 seconds) while covering the less than six foot length of the bicycle can likely be accomplished in 10 seconds with exposure to oncoming traffic being less than a third of that

Given the oft cited curvy, hilly sparsely traveled country road, are you REALLY saying it is unlikely you can find a 10 second gap in oncoming traffic? I think the car people are the ones being dickheads and are exhibiting the same attitude they also often give motorcyclists, which can be synopsized as 'he'll yield, he has to'

Top Bottom